Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony Vs. Rosewood.

Victory Pete

I think the "transfer of string energy" as mentioned in your opening post, is being confused with "sound" as referred to above.

Historically, ebony was the bridge material of choice for many of the finest instruments ever produced, including Gibson's Loar-era mandolins, and Martin's golden-era guitars. Clearly, it must have been chosen because it is one of the finest woods available for the task at hand: To transfer string vibrations to the top.

While rosewood is clearly a wood with more inherent sustain, imho, that does not necessarily make it better in this application - it just makes it a bit different.

Turning this discussion to "sound" puts matters into a very different and subjective realm. The fellow who swapped out the bridge on his D-28 may be someone who plays with a pick & craves sustain, while I fingerpick with nails and crave short & bell-like notes. And quite possibly, some of the change in his tone could have come from improving the fit of the saddle in the new bridge (which truly can make a very significant difference). There are many variables to consider.

Tapping wood samples will clearly show a difference as noted in the Walker video. But the bridge is a firm, thick piece of wood whose primary function is to transfer vibration to the top, rather than providing a particular sound. It is of course the body's primary function to provide the dominant tonal characteristics.

Yes, every piece of a guitar has an impact, but again, my guess is that choosing ebony or rosewood for the bridge material is going to have a relatively minimal impact on what comes out of the soundhole of an acoustic guitar. And whatever that audible difference may be, the pros & cons of that tone will be in the ears of the beholder.

It has been established that Rosewood in fact, transfers more string energy to the top than Ebony. It is a matter of physics.

It has been established that Rosewood in fact, transfers more string energy to the top than Ebony. It is a matter of physics.

I didn't say that it did not, Pete (although the type of rosewood will make a difference).

I just continue to doubt that the bridge material is contributing greatly to the tonal variations between your new Gibsons & the Martin.

That said, do enjoy them all. We are lucky to have such issues to ponder!

I didn't say that it did not, Pete (although the type of rosewood will make a difference).

I just continue to doubt that the bridge material is contributing greatly to the tonal variations between your new Gibsons & the Martin.

That said, do enjoy them all. We are lucky to have such issues to ponder!

Whether it is contributing greatly is not the point, it is contributing, and that is enough for me.

Archived