Gibson Brands Forums

Multi-Contact Guitar Input Jack

Rabs

I happened across this.. Never seen it before...

Q8ck9dG.jpg

Designed to address the many problems native to the standard 19th-century jack design, the Pure Tone Jack contains dual-tension grounds and dual-positive tips for optimal signal and lowest possible noise.

Greater surface area at all contact points creates a more stable connection, locking the cable securely in place and carrying more signal. As a result, high and low frequencies are greatly improved, creating a more balanced sound while eliminating frequency spikes. Most importantly, the Pure Tone Jack eliminates the infamous “crackle” noise caused by pressure grounds.

Which is interesting. Then I did a search and found this.. So I reckon this will be a 2018 feature.

http://patents.justia.com/assignee/gibson-brands-inc

Multiple contact jack

Patent number: 9583898

Abstract: A female jack is provided that includes one or more terminals and a reception aperture configured to accept a male plug. The female jack also includes a first spring contact with a first mating curvature configured to contact the male plug and create electrical contact between the male plug and the female jack. The first spring contact also includes one or more flex joints.

Assignee: Gibson Brands, Inc.

The one below it is interesting too.. New types of pickups to come maybe?

Lo impedance dual coil bifilar magnetic pickup

Patent number: 9524710

Abstract: A bifilar pickup for an electrical stringed musical instrument is provided. The bifilar pickup comprises a dual coil wherein at least one coil is formed with two closely spaced bifilar parallel wound wires. A guitar in combination with the pickup unit is additionally provided.

I've got a problem with one of my Hamer's at the moment.

It's got a barrel jack and is getting a bad connection. So I scoured the net and found this repair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtjCcM1Bmes

I didn't want to change it as it's all original, so I'm going to shield the cavity and grind a hole with my Dremel in situ.

There is a market for better connectors as the jack has long been a problem.

Guest Farnsbarns

I offer a 100% guarantee that while this might be better engineered in terms of longevity and a secure grip and contact, it will never, ever, ever, ever, ever make 1 iota of difference to your tone.

Farns: agree 100%!

I have a multi-point-contact-something-thingy on my V, and when it was new you pretty much needed a hammer to plug in, and a vise to get it out. It's mellowed since, but to me, it's just got extra stuff on it that could break.

I offer a 100% guarantee that while this might be better engineered in terms of longevity and a secure grip and contact, it will never, ever, ever, ever, ever make 1 iota of difference to your tone.

Yes... I don't think theres enough current to worry about the need extra contact?

Which if that's right, maybe theyd be a better idea for amps and speakers?

Farns: agree 100%!

I have a multi-point-contact-something-thingy on my V, and when it was new you pretty much needed a hammer to plug in, and a vise to get it out. It's mellowed since, but to me, it's just got extra stuff on it that could break.

I bought one and did quick test on how stiff it is to get the plug in and out... Seems fine to me.. I will probably try it on my next build

Archived