Gibson Brands Forums

J-50 arrived

Jalex

My 2012 J-50 arrived today. I scored it off reverb for a great price(thanks for the heads up Sal). I'm very happy to have a J-50 again feels like an old friend. It's always a bit nervy buying without having tried first but no disappointment here great sounding guitar in almost new condition.

My 2012 J-50 arrived today. I scored it off reverb for a great price(thanks for the heads up Sal). I'm very happy to have a J-50 again feels like an old friend. It's always a bit nervy buying without having tried first but no disappointment here great sounding guitar in almost new condition.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UT897qIPrZzBVQFy2?.jpg

Congrats on getting a J-50, again!

QM. aka Jazzman Jeff

Nice! I love those 60s big scratchplates. Is that a deleted stock item or a limited edition custom shop release? I see it has a white label and not the orange labels usually seen with custom shop guitars. It's not on the current Gibson website though

Nice! I love those 60s big scratchplates. Is that a deleted stock item or a limited edition custom shop release? I see it has a white label and not the orange labels usually seen with custom shop guitars. It's not on the current Gibson website though

I think it's just a stock model.

The J-50 comes and goes from their lineup. I believe it was reintroduced sometime around 2006(?) as the "J-50 Modern Classic". I have a 2008 model myself. I thought it was discontinued before 2012 but apparently it wasn't. The Modern Classics have the white labels and sold for around $2000 originally. A couple years ago (2015?) they brought it back again, but branded as a "limited edition" this time at a much higher price, around $3300 IIRC.

Now the newer ones have the iconic "bat wing" pickguard shape, but the plastic on the 1960's models was much thicker which I think is cool (I also have a 1965). And then of course there's the adjustable bridge/saddle in the 60's which some people hate but I don't mind personally. Anyway, the J-50's are great and it looks like you got a nice one. Happy new guitar day!!!

The J-50 comes and goes from their lineup. I believe it was reintroduced sometime around 2006(?) as the "J-50 Modern Classic". I have a 2008 model myself. I thought it was discontinued before 2012 but apparently it wasn't. The Modern Classics have the white labels and sold for around $2000 originally. A couple years ago (2015?) they brought it back again, but branded as a "limited edition" this time at a much higher price, around $3300 IIRC.

Now the newer ones have the iconic "bat wing" pickguard shape, but the plastic on the 1960's models was much thicker which I think is cool (I also have a 1965). And then of course there's the adjustable bridge/saddle in the 60's which some people hate but I don't mind personally. Anyway, the J-50's are great and it looks like you got a nice one. Happy new guitar day!!!

Thanks for the info. Very useful

In 1999, Gibson's model lineup was significantly revamped, with a new emphasis on accurate reissues of iconic models. The J-50 was part of this extensive rebirth.

In 2001, I purchased a new example of these reborn J-50s. It was a beautiful instrument, with a wonderful tone. The only problem for me was the somewhat large size of the neck, which I could not comfortably adjust to. Eventually, I landed a 2002 J-45 Rosewood (which I still have) with a more comfortable neck profile.

I don't know for sure how long this version of the J-50 lasted, but it was still listed in the 2003 catalog.

In 1999, Gibson's model lineup was significantly revamped, with a new emphasis on accurate reissues of iconic models.

That's interesting, don't think I've ever seen one from that era. Personally, I find the neck on my 2006 J-50 to be quite fat which makes it harder for me to play. Of course it would seem fat compared to the skinny neck on my 1965 J-50. But I also have a 2011 Martin D-15M and while the nut is the same width, the thickness is less and I find it much more comfortable.

Here's a nice resource for Gibson acoustic models over the years, but many of the old links don't work and it only goes back to 2009: http://archive.gibson.com/Press/acoustics/index2.asp#2012

Neck profiles for Gibson acoustics from the early 2000s were all over the map.

Along with the narrower profile on my 2002 J-45 Rosewood, I also have a 2000 J-100xtra with a similarly narrow profile. But conversely, my 2001 J-50 had a chunkier profile, as did a 2001 J-150 which I owned for a period of time.

In the beginning of the decade, Gibson's first purging of dealerships had not yet occurred, so I was able to actually do a hands-on assessment of many models in multiple stores. I would say the chunkier profiles were more prevalent overall.

Print catalogs (remember those?) were still being produced, and I have a copy of Gibson's acoustic catalogs from 1999, 2001, and 2003. Each one featured a few interesting changes. I also have a number of earlier catalogs & photocopied catalogs. Always good for reference info!

Neck profiles for Gibson acoustics from the early 2000s were all over the map.

Along with the narrower profile on my 2002 J-45 Rosewood, I also have a 2000 J-100xtra with a similarly narrow profile. But conversely, my 2001 J-50 had a chunkier profile, as did a 2001 J-150 which I owned for a period of time...

How do you measure the neck profile? Nut width and what else? Just wondering where my 2001 J-50 fits in. The nut doesn't seem especially narrow but the neck is shallower than a buddy's "Animal" 1959 J-45 reissue.

Also - how do you measure nut width anyway - measure from e to E string grooves, or actual nut total width?

How do you measure the neck profile? Nut width and what else? Just wondering where my 2001 J-50 fits in. The nut doesn't seem especially narrow but the neck is shallower than a buddy's "Animal" 1959 J-45 reissue.

Also - how do you measure nut width anyway - measure from e to E string grooves, or actual nut total width?

The nut width is measured from end to end, which obviously should match the total width of the fingerboard where it meets the nut.

As for other dimensions, I'm sure one could take all sorts of measurements, but I judge a neck strictly by feel. Once you leave the nut, anything can happen to the neck profile as you proceed up the neck. Even if a maker might have a variety of stated profiles they utilize on various models, there can still be slight (and possibly noticeable) variations in a model's profile from one guitar to the next.

For my own comparison purposes, I measure the circumference of the neck. I think that's what matters the most to me since I wrap my hand around it and a larger circumference is less comfortable. You could measure it at any point you choose (such as the first fret) as long as you pick the same spot on the guitars you're comparing.

Archived