Gibson Brands Forums

Let's collaborate.......

Buc McMaster

So I was strumming around on an Am chord yesterday and had one of those finger accidents that revealed a good sounding chord that I did not know..........still don't. But I pursued the happy mistake and came up with this progression that works pretty well. I have no melody yet, nor lyrics.......not even a sense of which way to lean in that regard. So I thought why not toss it out to the forum and see if we can make a song of this. It would be very interesting to hear if a few jumped up with a melody and some lyrics that are in no way influenced by anyone else.....a few different takes on the the same progression. I know there are some writers out there..........let's collaborate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHeaq5b2bDQ

The chords are as follows, best I can convey them:

Am7 ?? (This is the happy accident chord. 2nd and 3rd strings at the first fret. It's minor, for sure, but that's all I can tell you! Simple form, though.)

Dm * E Am

Dm7 G Cmaj7 F (x2)

Dm F E E7

* The second time around I think I tossed an F chord in at this spot but I don't think it should be that way......save the F chord for the refrain turn around.

As usual the guitar is down a half step, but capo-ed at the first it's at concert pitch so you can play this on open strings. I'm going to continue to wrestle with this, searching for a melody and lyrics that work for me and it'd be really fun to see how others approach the same progression independently. Don't be shy........let's collaborate!

consulting my Roy Clark Big Note Song book.. (kidding...)

it looks like you got a Dm7b5 going on there. but you're also adding a 9 with the open E....

(The A flat -- if that's what I see on the third string first fret.. is part of the give away to the flat5..)

and your implying your bass note with the opened 4 string (capo'd it'd be your D note) right?

and it works form the Am7 as it's a natural 4th to D. gives it a suspenseful sort of sound don't it.

so,, maybe a Dm7b5Add9?? Say that with a mouth full of Cheerios..

Sounds nice in that context too..

edit: forgot to say... I may give it (collab effort) a shot too..

and your implying your bass note with the opened 4 string (capo'd it'd be your D note) right?

and it works form the Am7 as it's a natural 4th to D. gives it a suspenseful sort of sound don't it.

so,, maybe a Dm7b5Add9??

Ok. I thought it might be some form of a Dm chord since it sounded like a 4th to the Am. If that is what it is, Dm7b5add9, I'm happy to know it! It does work against the Am with a kind of tension....... I'm thinking the first section is minor and the second turns major. I've always liked that kind of transition, if that is in fact what's going on there. I have just this side of zero knowledge of theory.

Be very happy to hear what you might bring to this, Ray! With your apparent knowledge of theory there might be something else to add to the refrain section that makes it work better.

Lars, Anne, BK.....? Jump in with something! And there's others that could do something too..........

Lars: this has that minor, kind of sad feeling to it that you seem to be drawn to.

oh btw...wanted to mention, that is a nice modulation, Right at 32 secs (non transposed,, you're playing an Eb-minor, Ab-maj. C#-minor, F#-major.. Cool! Thats used a lot, (like in Still Got The Blues by Gary Moore, the body of the song is based on that kind of chord change setting)

So I was strumming around on an Am chord yesterday and had one of those finger accidents that revealed a good sounding chord that I did not know..........still don't. But I pursued the happy mistake and came up with this progression that works pretty well. I have no melody yet, nor lyrics.......not even a sense of which way to lean in that regard. So I thought why not toss it out to the forum and see if we can make a song of this. It would be very interesting to hear if a few jumped up with a melody and some lyrics that are in no way influenced by anyone else.....a few different takes on the the same progression. I know there are some writers out there..........let's collaborate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHeaq5b2bDQ

The chords are as follows, best I can convey them:

Am7 ?? (This is the happy accident chord. 2nd and 3rd strings at the first fret. It's minor, for sure, but that's all I can tell you! Simple form, though.)

Dm * E Am

Dm7 G Cmaj7 F (x2)

Dm F E E7

* The second time around I think I tossed an F chord in at this spot but I don't think it should be that way......save the F chord for the refrain turn around.

As usual the guitar is down a half step, but capo-ed at the first it's at concert pitch so you can play this on open strings. I'm going to continue to wrestle with this, searching for a melody and lyrics that work for me and it'd be really fun to see how others approach the same progression independently. Don't be shy........let's collaborate!

I don't think you need any collaboration on it. I suggest leaving it just as it is as the enjoyable instrumental piece it is.

BTW, that 12 fretted sounds great!

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

That's a very pleasing chord progression.It does evoke a slightly jazzed tinged cool bluesy melody..in my head anyway.

I've thought the collaboration idea might be a bit of fun too.Logistically a bit tricky because of the organic nature of multiple inputs being incorporated..or not.

I think you'll get good song out of it.Herd those cats!

Beautiful guitar.

This is a lovely piece, really--I need to find some time to spend with it on repeat, see if any lyrics float up.

I'm heading up into the mountains for a few days and won't have internet: can you snag an mp3 file of this and either email it to me or post it online where it can be downloaded so I can load it onto my player (old school)?

Ill take a crack. It's gorgeous - and oh tat guitar. Here is a first verse, and a chorus. Tweak away! I just hear Sinatra singing, scotch in hand. and it is reflective.

The car is gone.

The open gate.

The 1st two clues for

what’ll become my heavy weight

I told you I was tryin’

But without specifyin’

I didn't give you what you had asked.

Now its too late.

Who says you’ll know when it dies?

Who says you’ll be apprised?

When love subsides.

And a joint soul divides.

At days end, you’re all alone,

Cept for your heavy weight.

A nice couple of progressions you have there. Unfortunately, I'm a bit disqualified due to the "in no way influenced by anyone else" part, as the first progression reminded me of "Good Morning Heartache", made popular by Billie Holiday, and the B part went back in the time machine to the melody in "Take on Me", a hit for '80's MTV pioneers A-Ha. So I put those over yours with the Hummingbird Vintage:

https://soundcloud.com/62burst/new-recording-69

Sal I like those lyrics.A definite "wee small hours in the morning" vibe.

62B that Billie Holiday song is exactly the sort of melody the chord progression suggested to me..a smoky sad jazz blues..and the Take on me..haha...you have a good ear. or should that be A-ha not haha [biggrin] . Nice work.

Cool! Have you sang it with the guitar? Ya gotta play & sing it for us, Sal......put the pieces together........

The melancholy tone of the lyric does suit the sound of the chords well. With your invitation to tweak, I did so in my style of minimalism......toss any words that don't make a solid contribution to the lyric, words that are implied by others and extraneous to better make room for vocal interpretation.

The car is gone........there's the open gate

Shoulda seen it comin'.......my heavy weight

Told you I was tryin’......but without specifyin'

Didn't have what you were lookin' for......now it's too late

Who says you’ll know when it dies?

Who says you’ll be surprised?

When love subsides......and lovers divide

At days end, you’re alone.......but for that heavy weight

I haven't come with anything yet myself, though I am beginning to hear more syllables in each line than you've put together here, Sal.......a kind of rambling, stream of consciousness kind of thing. Rhymed, of course, with a loose vocal meter.

I'm a bit disqualified due to the "in no way influenced by anyone else" part........

Oh we're all influenced by things we've heard in the past.......we all stand on the shoulders of giants. Didn't mean to exclude those kind of influences........just wondered what kind of takes we could get with those that want all starting with the same rhythmic point and seeking out independent melodies and lyrics......there could be quite stark differences.

Good on you for jumping in, 62!

I was thinking about a bridge.

A sort of Dm9 - Am back and forth progression...Dm9 being played x5355x or x53555 works too.

Then it would resolve to Am F E7 like elsewhere.

I knew a grey sky

Claimed he was blue

Now in dreams I'm pretending

That I don't miss you

I gambled on letters

Till I ran out of words

there's a whole world above me

full of south flyin' birds

I'll try and record something.Oh my words aren't precious or necessary.I'll probably come up with some more.Just adding some fuel to the mix.

I starting working out a melody on my old LG2 which has some minor intonation issues.I was playing Buc' discovered chord and it sounded really shite.I thought "Is my guitar this far off???"Then I realised I was playing strings 4,5 not 2,3.The southpaw threw me off.What a dunce.Where's my "Geetarin for Dummies"

I starting working out a melody on my old LG2 which has some minor intonation issues.I was playing Buc' discovered chord and it sounded really shite.I thought "Is my guitar this far off???"Then I realised I was playing strings 4,5 not 2,3.The southpaw threw me off.What a dunce.Where's my "Geetarin for Dummies"

That’s pretty funny. As BBG hasn’t chimed in yet, I’ll have to say it:

“Get a mirror”

Sal, FB, & TFT, all good imagery- please go ahead and hit the red button, & lay those lines over Buc’s progression; much easier to see/hear how it works. I’ll be dismantling my soundcloud link- I’m no lead/single note player; it only comes off as noodling/polluting a nice moody/stark progression- ‘just wanted to suggest a melody.

Archived