Gibson Brands Forums

Help with LG-1 Dating without Readable Serial#

WNR

Hello,

I am thinking I am going to buy this LG-1. The serial is not readable so I was curious on the age. I was thinking 56-58'. Anyone have any thoughts based on the characteristics of it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Wayne

Link in 3rd post below.

I have an LG-1 from '56 and yours is very similar looking, heres a pic:

ea3cff_aa2f568b50264003a96f98a802b80b1d~mv2.jpg

Earlier than '55 they had a shorter pickguard and later than '61 they had the belly bridge.

So I'd say you're correct in your assumption.

The best you are going to do is 1955 to 1960. Could even be an early 1961 guitar. Not much to distinguish one year from the other until the bridge change which as noted occurred in 1961. The burst though looks more late 1950s to early 1960s to my eye. Note the dark edge pear burst on the mid-1950s LG shown above. All you really need to figure the year though is the first letter in the FON as that letter alone will tell you what year of the decade the guitar was built. My '57 CF-100, as example, starts with a "U" as did all acoustics built that particular year.

Thanks for the replys. I am going to look at it this week. The owner says the FON # is unreadable. He says the neck is straight and it is in good shape. I will report back when if I get it. I have always wanted one. [biggrin] The price is right. It looks like it has that crack because of the shrinking pickgaurd.

So $600 seems like a fair price considering the top crack, correct? I wish I had better pics.

The crack is pretty typical of many older guitars. To me, exact dating would be a plus, not a must. $600 is a good deal regardless.

Archived