Gibson Brands Forums

Time to wise up.. Hearing

Rabs

I consider myself very, very fortunate. While being a 65 yo my hearing is almost fine with just a minimal loss in my right ear. The deficient is so small, the doctor doesn't consider it warrants anything more than monitoring it on a regular basis. I haven't been exposed to loud music but have used extensively power tools and have been in the habit of using ear protection. However, I am now plugging into an amp quite a lot - and cranking it up. After reading about the troubles a number of you have experienced, I think it's probably a good idea not to push my luck and use ear plugs just in case.

Open mic and other events can get really loud....artists and audience often sitting close to speakers in small venues.....

IMX some young hosts get really drunk and, with their mates, turn up the volume to 'feel the noise'.....:blink:

I now avoid the irresponsible venues....our local circuit has some really good, professional performers who also run open mics....

Monitors make a big difference too....hearing your own sound makes for an enjoyable experience

Suggest a visit to an audiologist to plot a graph and 'learn' what is happening....[thumbup]

Spec Savers in the UK employ professionals to complement their visual business....and have a wealth of experience advising musicians and other industry users of ear protection....

Having ear moulds taken is expensive, but can make a difference comfort wise and improve on the 'compromise' nature of the cheaper over the counter ear plugs.....

V

:-({|= (ouch)

dry.gif

While being a 65 yo,... I am now plugging into an amp quite a lot - and cranking it up.

[laugh]

Let us know how they go Rabs. I use the roll-up foam ones for sleeping and plane trips and anywhere with annoying voices and they are great for that, I also used them at Dinosaur Jr and the difference was incredible...but I don't like them at rehearsal cos of the 'underwater' sound and especially the impact on vocals. I don't think I have much damage (the only time I hear anything like ringing is when I have the foam roll ups in and it doesn't disturb me) but we rehearse mainly in an old, smallish, stripped out steel caravan with a full kit and the amps loud enough to go with the drums so it seems sensible to try something. Bass player sticks cotton wool balls in his ears and looks ridiculous, but I guess that's better than nothing and seems to help him. Interested to read your thoughts on how these work.

[laugh]

Let us know how they go Rabs. I use the roll-up foam ones for sleeping and plane trips and anywhere with annoying voices and they are great for that, I also used them at Dinosaur Jr and the difference was incredible...but I don't like them at rehearsal cos of the 'underwater' sound and especially the impact on vocals. I don't think I have much damage (the only time I hear anything like ringing is when I have the foam roll ups in and it doesn't disturb me) but we rehearse mainly in an old, smallish, stripped out steel caravan with a full kit and the amps loud enough to go with the drums so it seems sensible to try something. Bass player sticks cotton wool balls in his ears and looks ridiculous, but I guess that's better than nothing and seems to help him. Interested to read your thoughts on how these work.

Well I will be going to another open mic night on Thursday.. So I will report back after :)

[laugh]

So I went to the open mic night and tried these plugs...

This is my first experience with them so I wasn't sure how theyd work.. What I know is that im home now and my ears are feeling ok where as the last few times ive come back they have been bothering me..

I found that they didn't fit that well, but I must have funny shaped ears as I always have trouble with ear plugs they always seem to small or big for me... These id say were maybe a tiny bit too big.. I found that if I put them in with medium pressure that the volume was decreased a bit but it still sounded fairly loud.. If I pushed them in further I got that "underwater" effect people talk about and didn't like that.. So while at the gig I was thinking, hmm, maybe these arnt right for me.. But considering my ears feel ok, I think it better than nothing.

A friend of mine has these types of plugs which hes been using for years. I may try getting a set of these too..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Docs-Pro-Medium-Vented-Plugs/dp/B009LKO19Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501809357&sr=8-2&keywords=docs+pro+plugs

Riffster: the fact that your ear can't breathe I what I like about the cheap earplugs ;) Well, depends on where you stand in an audience, for instance. Right in front of a PA tower at a Slayer show, and I believe earplugs that breathe would still not be sufficient. That's what I think, anyway.

Speaking of Slayer, someone should tell Kerry King to start wearing earplugs. I understand the volume onstage is not as loud as what comes out of the PA, but I would bet money Kerry's amp onstage is louder than what's good for you.

Do I have a point with this rambling? Yes, I do. A lot of musicians use the "amps/monitors aren't as loud as the PA" argument. But take Slayer. Does anyone seriously believe that standing next to Paul Bostaph onstage when he's drumming is good for your ears? I think a lot of musicians are just blissfully unaware of the damage they've done, and it's only when tinnitus rears its ugly head that they wake up.

Everybody is different, in my case part of my issues with my ears is the clogging of Eustachian tubes so for me I prefer open plugs, after using solid plugs for two years.

Frankly all the plugs we are talking about here are cheap, I paid $22 for mine and have used them for 2 years or so.

These plugs I have been enough for me for the last couple of years and I have been to plenty of shows, and I mean plenty and I like the heavy stuff.

My theory is that while my plugs attenuate anywhere from 12db to 21db there is also the benefit of having your ears covered and the actual air from the speakers is greatly reduced.

Rabs- my plugs fit me well but even between my two ears my ear canals are different sizes. The brand I use ships now with two size plugs. I do not get the underwater effect with mine, I mean a plug is still a plug but there is a significant difference for me.

Archived