Gibson Brands Forums

Yesterday was a very, very good day

theflyingturtle

Yesterday was a very special day and I thought I would share. We all have good days and bad days but yesterday everything went "right" all day long. The day started out playing with my daughter, picked up a T Rex dalay which was the last pedal I needed to buy for my pedal board, finished building the George L pedal board kit, and got everything wired. I have never had an electric guitar set up that has EVER, EVER sounded as good as this rig does now! It exceeded my expectations beyond anything I have ever experienced before! Some jam buddies came over and I shared some new arrangements I had written out including a new song by John Mayer called "In the Blood". The guys really liked that one and we all agreed I sing it better a whole step up from the key he sings it in. Sorted! Ken brought over a drum and left it in the music studio. Cool! I have never had, or played with percussion so the addition of that new flavor was awesome. He also dropped off the set list for his wedding. He is a good friend and he asked me to sing at his wedding so I can finally get started learning the songs. He's sa really good friend and I am honored he and his fiancee want me to be part of that day. Later that evening I went to a friend's house because he had taken me to a Colin Hay concert last week and I learned a song from the concert that he liked, wrote out the song and the the lyrics with the chords, sang it, taught it to him, and gave him a hard copy as a thank you. Then we went to the Buddy Guy concert. We walked in the gate and stopped at the merchandise booth. There hanging up on a hook was a polka dot guitar strap and on it was the, written in Sharpie just that morning, name "Buddy Guy"! My jaw dropped, I blinked in disbelief. I looked at the price realized I would pay 10x that amount to have an autographed Buddy Guy guitar strap. I ended up with the shirt, the strap, and an autographed album that will go on the wall as soon as I get a frame. The strap is on my Strat and should be there till the day I die or it gets stolen. Then the concert started... Johnny Lang opened up for Buddy. Man that guy is a fierce player! A+++! Buddy opened with a blistering version of "Damn Right I got the Blues" and blew me away! How old is this guy??? It was so good that I didn't know how he would top that but, little did I know he was just getting started! I'll say this, I never really thought about it before but I agree with Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy is the greatest blues guitarist of all time. I came home, put the strap on the strat, jammed for a little while and crawled into bed. A good day? Nah, it was the best "musical" day I've ever had. The funny thing is, I didn't plan it that way, it just seemed to come together. Brilliant! Thanks for reading. Anyone else have a "great musical day"?

Yep. I've found that some of my best, most memorable days have started out with no expectation that they would end up like that. Glad you found one of those days. Cherish it.

And I saw Buddy Guy as one of the opening acts for Foo Fighters 4th of July show at RFK stadium. He is still going strong. msp_thumbup.gif

Man that was great to read. I'm happy for you and appreciate your sharing of it. I'm with CB, those days just don't happen often enough, at least for me. But, when they do, they sure are special and you have some great BG merch as memories! I wish all of you many very, very good days like that. msp_thumbup.gif

That sounds like an amazing day. I love those kinds of days.

I love listening to Buddy Guy. He's pretty amazing and seems to put on a good show. I saw his concert on Axs TV and it looked like a lot of fun. He's going to be in town the weekend of my birthday and I'm looking forward to seeing him and a lot of other artists that day, including Stevie Nicks, Joe Bonamassa, Johnny Lang, Paul Rodgers, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Steve Miller, Eddie Vedder.

http://bourbonandbeyond.com/

Archived