Gibson Brands Forums

Good Lord! Grenadillo and oil

Pinch

I took for granted that the grenadillo in my 2017 was gonna look pretty much the same after its first oiling. Lighter-shade rosewood, right?

I'd say too dry a rosewood! I usually oil my fretboards in the fall... September-ish. In an hour it'll be August 1 here, but I thought, what the hell, let's be done with it.

It was not a minute too soon. The lighter shade rosewood now looks like well-hydrated regular rosewood. It looks like a different guitar!

So if you're considering a guitar with a grenadillo board, my friendly advice is give it a drink the second you take it home.

No pics right now unfortunately.

Quite often a case you can see a dark Granadillo that gets mistaken for a Rosewood, or a light Rosewood that gets mistaken for Granadillo, in my view.

Oiling it will bring out so much richness msp_thumbup.gif

I took for granted that the grenadillo in my 2017 was gonna look pretty much the same after its first oiling. Lighter-shade rosewood, right?

I'd say too dry a rosewood! I usually oil my fretboards in the fall... September-ish. In an hour it'll be August 1 here, but I thought, what the hell, let's be done with it.

It was not a minute too soon. The lighter shade rosewood now looks like well-hydrated regular rosewood. It looks like a different guitar!

So if you're considering a guitar with a grenadillo board, my friendly advice is give it a drink the second you take it home.

No pics right now unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, what oil did you use?

Archived