Gibson Brands Forums

This is how it starts...

QuestionMark

Today, while playing an outdoor event a mother and her 5 year old son stood in front of where I was playing and the five year old kid pointed at me and loudly said, "I want.a big guitar like that one! .And, then he said it again. And, again. And, again.

After this occurred, the mother said to me as I was playing, "my son has a ukekele that I bought him".

To which he chimed in, "I want a big guitar like that one.'"

While playing an instrumental, I told the mother that I started out with a ukekele at first, too and that now at age 64 I have 34 guitars and five ukekeles.

Then, I said, "This is how it starts!" As I kept playing.

The little kid again said, "I want a big guitar like that one!"

The lady smiled as she pulled her five year old son in the direction other than from the bandstand I was on and walked away with him.

As they were walking away, I heard him once more say to her, "I want a big guitar like that one".

As we all personally know, that IS how at its core this guitar acquisition syndrome starts!

😄

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Good stuff for sure!

And for more good stuff, I see you're now one year away from Medicare eligibility. For me, that was the key to retirement, as I needed the medical coverage before hanging up my hat at work. Now one year into this new life, I can truly say there's nothing better than being able to tinker with your guitars, mandos, etc, any time you want.

Whether you're five or a lot older, those magical objects with strings keep pulling you in!

I generally have two guitars that are in the present rotation. And, I usually bring two guitars to every gig. Sometimes one is a backup if a string breaks or one isn't playing well (is in a bad mood.). Or, like at today's gig, I played half the time with one and then switched to the other to keep it new to me. Then, I keep one or two different ones out at home to practice on. The two out at home change about every two weeks when it's time to get a little different feel or sound in my practice or home noodlleon. And then, every once in awhile I bring out a different one just for playing once for the heck of it. About every six months to a year, I change the two guitars I bring to gigs. To keep me interested.

I also run a twice monthly music jam. Different guitars are used for those.

Then, I have a couple that I take on planes with me when I travel. Or on family vacations.

Eventually they all get played over time. Some a lot more than others. Some less.

I play intricate instrumental music as well as folk rock country jam like music. Plus, I write a ton of songs and music. Having all the instruments to utilize helps my musical art. As well as its an enjoyable thang to collect and play with.

Keep in mind everyone's interaction with their guitars varies. Long ago I found what works for me to keep my music going and interesting for me, as well as moving forward.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

A. Great story

B. Everyone's journey is different. Mine has been nuts, and still is. I've probably bought 30 guitars. Five went to my boys. One to my daughter. About 4 went to friends, and 4 to vets. And I have rotated about sixteen... of which I have five, soon to be six.

Nuts.

My guitar story was the opposite - I was in the right place at the right time as a lady bought a new acoustic guitar and gave her old one to me.

The Beatles had just hit the top and it has taken until now to try and work out the difference between their guitars and mine and how and what to do it! Still don't know. [flapper]

BluesKing777.

I always bring the Hello Kitty to the big outdoor things, and I use it a set or two. I'll have it out again next month for a day in the park, and down at ground level I get a lot more kids that want to see it. And moms. And I am nothing if not all about the moms.

19420566_898234640324250_7202808854178272846_n.jpg?oh=71945060ccfc40efba9f68548989b611&oe=59ECDD30

rct

It's funny , I can still remember the thrill that I felt when I strummed my friends fathers guitar for the first time after hearing Apache on the radio . 53 years later that feeling hasn't left me , still totally obsessed and overwhelmed by the instrument. The last eight years playing fingerstyle acoustic has been the best though msp_thumbup.gif

No man, it'll be cool...as long as we don't type these thoughts out aloud.

Do you even own an acoustic? I use two, but not the right flavor for this gathering of delicate fingerstyle arpeggiating plectrummers of the James Taylor catalog.

rct

Hey rct

What's wrong with James Taylor ?

Nothing at all. Anyone who does that sorta thing, most of the people here, get's all props from me because I do other things with guitars.

But yer guitar players, so I'm going to break your balls about something. Don't worry, I take it just as well!

rct

Listen to Jinder's CD?

Yes, I listen to most stuff here. That's the only time I'm going to experience acoustic stuff outside of The Weight, couple other bar band staples. And even then I don't always pick up the Martin.

rct

Nothing at all. Anyone who does that sorta thing, most of the people here, get's all props from me because I do other things with guitars.

But yer guitar players, so I'm going to break your balls about something. Don't worry, I take it just as well!

rct

Haha

Seems like everyday since I was 11 someone somewhere is busting my balls about something

You're not a guitar player ?

Haha

Seems like everyday since I was 11 someone somewhere is busting my balls about something

You're not a guitar player ?

Oh absolutely, nothing but a guitar player since 1971, with a good job! If you are doing anything on the radio 60's - 70's I'll get the gig. Except for like some Heart stuff that is pretty tough that I rarely get asked to do anymore, I don't really do much acoustic at all except around the house. I have to play, sing, leap through flaming hoops, that stuff. I usually don't feel like volume-ing and eq-ing and non-feedback-ing an acoustic on the gig so I don't use them too much. Two Martins, a junky soundhole pickup, into my amp.

I do put an acoustic in the back of everything I record of my own, so there's a time I'm really practicing acoustic a lot. Like keys, I put them on everything too, but I'm not a keyboards player by any stretch.

rct

Oh absolutely, nothing but a guitar player since 1971, with a good job! If you are doing anything on the radio 60's - 70's I'll get the gig. Except for like some Heart stuff that is pretty tough that I rarely get asked to do anymore, I don't really do much acoustic at all except around the house. I have to play, sing, leap through flaming hoops, that stuff. I usually don't feel like volume-ing and eq-ing and non-feedback-ing an acoustic on the gig so I don't use them too much. Two Martins, a junky soundhole pickup, into my amp.

I do put an acoustic in the back of everything I record of my own, so there's a time I'm really practicing acoustic a lot. Like keys, I put them on everything too, but I'm not a keyboards player by any stretch.

rct

Cool

Well , apart from the heart stuff 😐

Share some stuff man. We're not all james taylor sensitive darlings all the time

Cool

Well , apart from the heart stuff 😐

Share some stuff man. We're not all james taylor sensitive darlings all the time

I'm old, and I come from this kind of thinking: "You can't sell the cow if you give away the milk". Except for whatever the other goofs in my band put on the internet after asking me if I'm ok with it, I don't do that stuff.

rct

I'm old, and I come from this kind of thinking: "You can't sell the cow if you give away the milk". Except for whatever the other goofs in my band put on the internet after asking me if I'm ok with it, I don't do that stuff.

rct

Ah , just sit back and make comment on others

Fair do's

Ah , just sit back and make comment on others

Fair do's

uh...no. Rarely do I post more than "Nice!" at the things others put up of themselves, if I even put that. What we do is really personal, all of us puts whatever we put into it, none of it is as easy as we hopefully make it look. I've always thought that if the internet is their outlet it is their outlet. Mine is elsewhere, so i feel no need to put stuff up on the internet that isn't for sale, and I feel no need to say much about others stuff, they worked hard on it, it is what they want, they need no input from me.

rct

Archived