Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson B25 orignal tuners?

The Gunflint

Hi all.

First post here. I am looking into buying a seemingly nearly never played 1967 B25. The one thing that is throwing me off is that it is not equipped with the Kluson inline tuners almost every other Gibson of that era is? See attached images. Curious if this is a red flag, or if maybe they simply did not have the kluson's in stock at the time and just used something else?

Thanks!!

Matt

post-86577-000895100 1501711995_thumb.jpg

post-86577-076622300 1501712085_thumb.jpg

First post here. I am looking into buying a seemingly nearly never played 1967 B25. The one thing that is throwing me off is that it is not equipped with the Kluson inline tuners almost every other Gibson of that era is? See attached images. Curious if this is a red flag, or if maybe they simply did not have the kluson's in stock at the time and just used something else?

First of all (cheap pun coming), let me throw out the welcome Matt!

As for the 1967 B-25, that is the only year those Japanese import tuners were installed as stock hardware on some models by Gibson. They are totally legit for that year.

1967 is also the year Gibson went to a wooden upper-belly bridge on the B-25. Previous years had plastic adjustable bridges, and in 1968 they started transitioning to a wooden lower-belly bridge.

Some of these can sound absolutely wonderful. I've had a few, and currently have a '66 Epiphone FT-45n Cortez (clone to the B-25n), which I'll never part with. If you purchase the instrument and it comes with a rosewood saddle, consider locating an original ceramic saddle (hard to find), or try the Tusq replacement, which should still currently be available.

Hope it all works out well for you!

Hey thanks for the welcome!

....and I see what you did there ;)

I was actually hoping to find a Cortez, but stumbled over this pretty little thing. It's in great shape and the price is right!

Here is another shot for y'all.

Thanks again!

Matt

post-86577-076700600 1501713370_thumb.jpg

What he said. Those tuners have a way of showing up on J-45s of that era as well. As an alternative to Tusq, if you decide to replace a wooden saddle, bone is available as well. The original ceramics are, to my ear, the best, but finding one - depending where you live - can be challenging. Hope it works out to your satisfaction, and welcome to the forum.

Nice pic of the front!

It will have the narrow 1-9/16" neck, but some folks (like me) are okay with that.

Since it does have the rosewood saddle insert, again, I would highly recommend you experiment with ceramic, tusq, or bone. I had a ceramic saddle in the parts drawer that I'd pulled off an earlier B-25, and to my ears, it's the perfect match for my Cortez.

Archived