Gibson Brands Forums

mike bloomfield les paul...somebody was going to get into this.....

turtle

hey guys i figured id beat someone else to the punch.....mike bloomfield les paul ? has anyone seen it yet? any comments. i love bloomfield but i think a 1959 reissue in "bloomfield burst" mixmatched knobs and scratches behind the tailpiece and costing $$$$$$ ... is kind of........STUPID!=P~

(from a diehard bloomfield fan by the way)

hey guys i figured id beat someone else to the punch.....mike bloomfield les paul ? has anyone seen it yet? any comments. i love bloomfield but i think a 1959 reissue in "bloomfield burst" mixmatched knobs and scratches behind the tailpiece and costing $$$$$$ ... is kind of........STUPID!=P~

(from a diehard bloomfield fan by the way)

Just...nonsense.

I figure gibson's gotta cover all remaining '59's with a reissue before they're done. And any mythical guitars that may or may not exist. And then maybe they can turn their eyes toward making modern guitars.

tell me about it .. i do like the finish but its true that they dont even know where the original guitar is? the last place to be seen was canada where bloomfield abandoned it. and in later pics it looks like the binding on the neck came off or something unless its a shadow. id hate to buy a beat up guitar for mucho dinero

Yeah, from the looks of it the Bloomfield LP doesn't have the missing binding - which is really a shame. I guess what that means is they will sell all of the ones they have now, and then come out with an "authentic" Bloomfield LP in the next couple years that does in fact have the missing binding.

Bloomfield was balls out in his prime & a pretty recognizable LP player, so chances are they will milk this a bit.

Having known Mike back in the day & actually handled & played the original guitar a time or two, I'm wondering how they can do a "reissue" when all they have to go on is photos and perhaps feedback from guys like Dan Erlwine. What are they going to do if the real one surfaces because of this and it's nothing like the reissue? Oh, well, it is Gibson, isn't it?

And then maybe they can turn their eyes toward making modern guitars.

What about the Dark Fire?

I agree some of the prices on these custom Les Pauls are crazy though.

I wish they'd make a guitar that combined the Dark Fire feature set with the Axcess feature set.

What about the Dark Fire?

I agree some of the prices on these custom Les Pauls are crazy though.

I wish they'd make a guitar that combined the Dark Fire feature set with the Axcess feature set.

The Dork Fire has fake carbon fiber pickup cover paint (or is it a decal), fake carbon fiber inlays, a finish on the back that could give you splinters, a tuning system that won't allow you to put on strings that are a gauge too heavy or too light because you'd either snap the strings (if too light) or damage the tuners (if too heavy). Last I checked they were missing some of the pieces and the software for the thing and the first ones came with a bright white case that said, "Steal this guitar" on the outside. The top on the guitar is hit or miss as far as the flame goes and the price is just silly.

You have to be aware that Line 6 has had the Variax series of guitars out for about six years, and the Pod XT for...uh...a long time. Both have been (or are being) superceded by newer models. The point is that the Variax guitars model a bunch of different guitars (there's an acoustic variant and an "electric" variant) and will do alternate tunings *without* changing the tension on the strings. The Pod XT models amps, cabinets and effects and allows you to tweak all of those to your heart's content and then save them as presets. Essentially there's nothing about the Dork Fire that hasn't been already done by someone else for a pretty long time, and in better fashion.

I wish they'd make a guitar that combined a few more bits of the Neal Schon Sig guitar feature set (the Axcess has the Floyd and the neck joint but needs to have that knob configuration and Neal's neck shape, and it would be cool if they could make those diamond inlays generally available...and put an ebony fretboard on the whole mess.

The Dork Fire has fake carbon fiber pickup cover paint (or is it a decal)' date=' fake carbon fiber inlays, a finish on the back that could give you splinters, a tuning system that won't allow you to put on strings that are a gauge too heavy or too light because you'd either snap the strings (if too light) or damage the tuners (if too heavy). Last I checked they were missing some of the pieces and the software for the thing and the first ones came with a bright white case that said, "Steal this guitar" on the outside. The top on the guitar is hit or miss as far as the flame goes and the price is just silly.

You have to be aware that Line 6 has had the Variax series of guitars out for about six years, and the Pod XT for...uh...a long time. Both have been (or are being) superceded by newer models. The point is that the Variax guitars model a bunch of different guitars (there's an acoustic variant and an "electric" variant) and will do alternate tunings *without* changing the tension on the strings. The Pod XT models amps, cabinets and effects and allows you to tweak all of those to your heart's content and then save them as presets. Essentially there's nothing about the Dork Fire that hasn't been already done by someone else for a pretty long time, and in better fashion.

I wish they'd make a guitar that combined a few more bits of the Neal Schon Sig guitar feature set (the Axcess has the Floyd and the neck joint but needs to have that knob configuration and Neal's neck shape, and it would be cool if they could make those diamond inlays generally available...and put an ebony fretboard on the whole mess. [/quote']

I agree with you 100% on the fake carbon stuff -- it's really tacky. And also with the finish on the back.

But the tuning on the Dark Fire is great, and the Variax is not a good guitar. I had one and sold it -- it had a terrible feel to it. With the Dark Fire you get a lot of the benefits of a modeling guitar without the drawbacks (palm muting on the Variax is not good, for example). Furthermore, once the adapter is available you'll be able to run the Dark Fire into a Roland or Axon or whatever to get a modeling effect as well if that is what you really want. I realize it's not fair to compare the Variax to the Dark Fire since they are in completely different price ranges though.

I was really just asking about what makes a guitar a "modern guitar". It was a question more than a statement.

Archived