Gibson Brands Forums

Humidifiers

eeh1

What does everyone use in the soundhole. I used to use the kyser in hole but now I use the planet waves between the strings. Usually hits 29 RH here in Canada.

Any Suggestions

Any problems with the between string planet waves.

51 SJ200 Sunburst

63 Martin D28

94 Ray Whitley Brazilian

01 Nick lucas Maple

02 AJ Brazilian

29 RH: Is that in a room in your house? That is very low even in the great white north. Check the RH in a cold room in your house, you know, that spare bedroom or walk-in closet you don't heat. Lowering the temperature will raise the RH, and it's a lot easier to cool a room in winter than to humidify it. I personally hate messing with in-the-case humidifiers, I keep my guitars cased in a cold bedroom.

BTW, it is quite easy to humidify a guitar too much. Remember 47 RH is optimum. Too wet and the wood will swell, top will bulge, action raise, and sound goes to hell. Drier guitars sound better.

In my zeal to keep my guitar at optimum humidity level I overfilled the in hole humidifier. It had exposed sponge material, and a few droplets fell in the guitar before I noticed. I now use a Oasis Plus in hole Humidifier which seems to me to offer a better level of security. Also, the fabric will shrink indicating need for refill.

I use cellulose sponges in plastic baggies that have holes punched in them. Believe it or not, that primitive little method keeps the guitars at 45% humidity consistently. I live in a dry climate with the furnace running most of the year, so that's what works for me.

I'll 2nd the Planet Waves. You might want to look into a room humidifier, also. I find the Planet Waves dries out in 2--3 days & I have to keep a

close eye on it. If I use a room humidifier /with a"good" control on it, I don't worry so much, about the PW drying out.

I got the room humidifier from sears for about $60. It holds 3gal water & last for several days. It cycles itself on, & off, while maintaining a desired humidity level.

You want the sponge damp, not wet, for the PW.

A cold room in Canada is probably much different than a cold room in Reno. You don't want it too cold!!

I use the Planet Waves soundhole humidifier - remember to use distilled water as tap water will mineralize the unit and ruin it.

In my guitar room I have a Vicks humidifier I bought at Lawton's for $40 - works like a charm and the low setting is perfect to keep 200 Sq. Ft. at 45-50%.

For a guitar room, there are some really nice combination units - a humidifier and dehumidifier all in one box - that will keep the room right all year round.

Man, I feel for you guys (and gals). I use natural gas ventless in the downstairs of my 100+ year old house, and an edenpure in my music room/studio and it's 50% in here right now. I've never seen it under 40%, or over 70%.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I keep all 12 of my guitars out on stands and wall hangers all year round with a room humidifier in the winter months (sometimes even in the summer). It is really dry here in Calgary.

My music room / office / studio is about 12'x19'. I've gone through a couple of humidifiers but the one I'm using now is the best I've ever had. It is a Honeywell Quicksteam warm mist humidifier with a built in hygrometer. I just set it to 45% RH and keep it filled with distilled water. These days it is using up 4 gallons every 24 hrs.

550a4710-7192-4fe2-b3ed-b57bc0b834a9_300.jpg

Customized 35mm Kodak film canister. Cost? $0.00... okay $0.03 if you count the length of plastic coated 14ga unstranded household wire used to hang from the E strings. .. okay $.030002. a rolled up scrap of paper toweling stuffed inside.

Since cast-off 35mm film canisters of any brand are gettin scarcer'n frogs hair, My next one will be an appropriate sized prescription bottle. Now who do I know that's currently on drugs? O:)

29 RH? That'd make my nose bleed. Better get a second opinion. Where abouts in Canada? Ellsemere Island?

This is fascinating! As a newcomer here [who resides in the "world's coldest major city" Winnipeg, Manitoba -- even colder and drier than Calgary Alberta!] I am so happy to read all of your solutions . . . especially "Karen" of Calgary's economical but effective solution:

"I use cellulose sponges in plastic baggies that have holes punched in them. Believe it or not, that primitive little method keeps the guitars at 45% humidity consistently. I live in a dry climate with the furnace running most of the year, so that's what works for me."

Gotta try that, starting tonight. (Minus 30 C windchill here today and worse at nights, when it gets down to minus 40 or "40 below" -- down where the two temperature scales 'meet' -- "be it Fahrenheit or Centigrade," as Peggy used to sing, Fever-ishly.

Thanks to everyone here for their observations and advice!

Mark B-of-the-frozen-North

This is fascinating! As a newcomer here [who resides in the "world's coldest major city" Winnipeg' date= Manitoba -- even colder and drier than Calgary Alberta!] I am so happy to read all of your solutions . . . especially "Karen" of Calgary's economical but effective solution:

"I use cellulose sponges in plastic baggies that have holes punched in them. Believe it or not, that primitive little method keeps the guitars at 45% humidity consistently. I live in a dry climate with the furnace running most of the year, so that's what works for me."

Gotta try that, starting tonight. (Minus 30 C windchill here today and worse at nights, when it gets down to minus 40 or "40 below" -- down where the two temperature scales 'meet' -- "be it Fahrenheit or Centigrade," as Peggy used to sing, Fever-ishly.

In deed -40°F = -40°C

I remember watchin' a scholastic bowl once. The question was, convert minus 40° F to degrees Celcius. The contestants feverishly put paper to pencil, did the math. A minute went by and the 6 kids were all staring at their papers.. in disbelief as if to say , "That cant be right?" They one pressed his buzzer and sheepishly asked, "Minus 40?" I remember that to this day.

It doesn't get that cold here.. yet.

This is fascinating! As a newcomer here [who resides in the "world's coldest major city" Winnipeg' date= Manitoba -- even colder and drier than Calgary Alberta!] I am so happy to read all of your solutions . . . especially "Karen" of Calgary's economical but effective solution:

Colder than Calgary?? That sounds like a challenge, my dear Mr Blackburn! I hear your -40 and raise you a -49 with a windchill! LOL

Seriously, tho', that sponge thingy does the trick.

PEIPlayer, if you get yourself a hygrometer you can measure the humidity in the case but I'll bet you're in the range anyway.

haha karen' date=' -49 is no good...

but winnipeg didn't get the nick name "winterpeg" without a reason.

[/quote']

Winterpeg?! LOL Alright, we'll have to wait til next winter and see who's got it worse LOL I'm willing to admit defeat if you surpass -49! The problem is, I won't have anything to complain about then. ](*,)

I'll 2nd the Planet Waves. You might want to look into a room humidifier' date=' also. I find the Planet Waves dries out in 2--3 days & I have to keep a

close eye on it. If I use a room humidifier /with a"good" control on it, I don't worry so much, about the PW drying out.

I got the room humidifier from sears for about $60. It holds 3gal water & last for several days. It cycles itself on, & off, while maintaining a desired humidity level.

You want the sponge damp, not wet, for the PW.

A cold room in Canada is probably much different than a cold room in Reno. You don't want it too cold!![/quote']

I just ordered a Honeywell room humidifier after going back and forth between what kind of guitar humidifier to buy. Didnt want to have to mess with having to remember to re-moisten the sponges all the time. Thx for the mentioning the room humidifier.

Ted

I have two Honeywell 4 gal cool mist humidifiers. They seem to work fine.

Yeah I just ordered mine yesterday. Seems like a less trouble than having to mess with in-guitar humidifiers. Though I have one in my Walden T550ce, after reading the posts of people using room humidifiers, seemed like less work to just fill the humidifier than having to worry about multiple guitar humi's.

Ted

Archived