Gibson Brands Forums

Humidifiers

eeh1

I went through the whole sponge in a soap dish, Dampit, Planetwaves, Cool Mist, Warm Mist routine when I first owned a solid wood guitar.

I've settled on the 4 gallon warm mist unit mentioned above for a number of reasons:

1. Your guitars are out of the case, ready to play.

2. No damage to the guitars taking them out and putting them back in the case.

3. No damage to the guitars through spillage.

4. No having to remember to check (all of them) every day.

5. No messy filters or finding the right filters to replace them as with the cool mist

6. Built-in hygrometer; set and forget.

7. Guitars on wall hangers. Up and out of the way means room for MORE GUITARS!

I've read that you have to be careful with having the room humidifiers up too high as you can end up with mold in your walls. That said, I don't know how the music stores do it unless they have special insulation? I used to have a chart with numbers of humidity maximums for indoors. It was originally posted by a guy who worked in the field. If I can find it I'll post it.

I'm just outside of Winnipeg, and I use a Small Room humidifier that I set for 35%. The guitars are kept in their cases, and stored in a closet. Unless its really cold like -30 - 45, I run the humidifier overnight only. That usually registers about 50% in the room by morning (as indicated on typical cheap hygrometer). I have Planet Waves digital hygrometer in the closet where the guitars are stored and it will typically read about 43-47% by morning. By about 6:00PM the closet humidifier will read between 38-45%. I've added some of that 3M plastic overlay that you heat shrink to ensure that the window doesn't sweat and cause mold.

I have eight guitars stored in his room and I do not have issues with fret ends sticking out or wood splitting. The guitars hold their tuning pretty well. If they go a little flat, its usually very minor tuning adjustment. I honestly think I have more trouble with the humidity in the spring after the heating season and before the A/C season. Humidity goes high and erratic.

Archived