Gibson Brands Forums

Ever cry while singing/writing your own song?

Roach

2 hours ago, ReeceFord said:

I was looking for this topic. But my problem is different. Yes, I have strong emotions when I write music, but not from the lyrics or my lyrics' emotional component. And from the process itself, I always wanted to write music, but for me, it is hard, exhausting work that takes all my strength and emotions, sometimes I want to tear myself in half, so I want to finish the song. Nothing comes of it.
Do you ask if I cried? Yes, I get hysterical. It's a complex mixture of manic perfectionism.

I've been in an originals band since like 1992, we're still largely together with three of the original members.

I've learned that song writing is a gift. 

Some guys got it, some have to work for it.  

I've discovered that for me, I'm somewhere in the middle.

Except for those times it the ideas words and melody,  falls into my lap (or my fingers and brain) and the entire process spills out in a matter of a few minutes. 

Those are usually the ones that require the least amount of developing. 

I have no idea where they come from, or when it will happen,, but I know it when I feel it.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:45 PM, Roach said:

This happened to me again today, i was just practicing singing and throwing out whatever words came to me, then i jotted down the lyrics and finished them than while playing the new tune, i just started balling like a baby...

Does this happen to you too?

Only once.  When a week or so after my wife passed away, I wrote a requiem to her and the waterworks began.  Give you an example.....

REQUIEM FOR LA-LA
Obsidian eyes that sparkle
From an inner light that beams;
And illuminates a harvest moon bright smile;
Did warm my soul, protecting me;
From life's icy indifference;
And convinced me to stay here a while

Whitefang

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Only once.  When a week or so after my wife passed away, I wrote a requiem to her and the waterworks began.  Give you an example.....

REQUIEM FOR LA-LA
Obsidian eyes that sparkle
From an inner light that beams;
And illuminates a harvest moon bright smile;
Did warm my soul, protecting me;
From life's icy indifference;
And convinced me to stay here a while

Whitefang

I cannot even begin to get my head around what you had to get thru to make it to today.

if that requiem helped, then it's a very good thing.

• Thanks 1

I played a demo for my wife a few years ago, and began telling her the back-story of the characters, and a certain heart-break that was central to the story and the lyrics. 
I got a little misty and teary-eyed. 

My wife said, "These are fictional characters that you wrote. Why are you getting tears in your eyes? They aren't real."

I blew my nose and wiped my eyes. "They are real to me."

"I get it, I guess," she replied. 

I said, "We write what we know, and things we have lived and experienced in our own lives. In the end, we usually assign those painful memories and joyful moments to some other fictional characters. To tell the story better within a three minute song.  But it's all still there, and it's real, right?"

"Yeah."
🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 5:29 PM, glp2012 said:

Big girls don't cry...

That's what I've been telling Reagan, our granddaughter whose 4 when she falls down and scrapes herself. LOL. I sing that to her, Sundance, our 100 pound Doberman whom she loves gives the spot a kiss and she is all fine again. 

On 8/12/2017 at 4:45 PM, Roach said:

This happened to me again today, i was just practicing singing and throwing out whatever words came to me, then i jotted down the lyrics and finished them than while playing the new tune, i just started balling like a baby...

Does this happen to you too?

No! Sounds like you can do with a Sundance kiss too from our Doberman. Heh, it works with the grandkids, Lol.

• 1 year later...

As a writer, the best advice I ever received was to, "Write what you know.". Initially, I assumed that this was to add realism to the story, and also would keep the author from losing the interest of their audience due to contrived story lines. However, the true meaning of this advice was intended to allow the author to accurately express the emotional aspects of the situations that they are writing about. If the song lyrics that you are writing are able to produce an emotional response strong enough to induce a physical reaction, (such as crying), you are doing something right! If you are also able to compose a melodic score that complements/enhances the emotions expressed in your lyrics, your audience will "feel" these emotions as well.

I liked “Danny’s Song” by Kenny Loggins.. It reminds me of my wife & I when we were starting out & having our first child back in our sort of Hippy days.. I haven’t heard it for years but it was on Sirius a while back & decided to learn It.

I have a difficult time on the last verse getting a little choked up.. LOL.. But, I think it makes it better because it’s real..

A young girl, who was a playmate of my 2 sons when they were very young, was later kidnapped and raped and murdered. I heard about in on the News and was saddened to the point of writing a song about it.

Yes.

Edited by Murph
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Lol I got confused faces from two boomers who don’t understand that the spam I reported got deleted 

Some folks confuse emojis.  Can't tell the difference between sad sympathetic faces, confused faces, angry faces, or constipated faces.   It is best to ignore them  🤡!

43 minutes ago, Murph said:

A young girl, who was a playmate of my 2 sons when they were very young, was later kidnapped and raped and murdered. I heard about in on the News and was saddened to the point of writing a song about it.

Yes.

I would not be able to think about it, let alone write about it.   Hope your sons have been able to 'process' it.    For me, the only 'peace' I'd be able to find would be to hear in the News they captured tried and dealt with the criminal appropriately. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I wrote a song about a young girl who was raped and murdered at age 11. She was from our neighborhood in Louisianna and went to school with my sons.

I've never been able to get through it without braking down, or almost braking down.

I finally gave it up.

8 minutes ago, Murph said:

I wrote a song about a young girl who was raped and murdered at age 11. She was from our neighborhood in Louisianna and went to school with my sons.

I've never been able to get through it without braking down, or almost braking down.

I finally gave it up.

thats terrible. I can't imagine ...