Gibson Brands Forums

Ever cry while singing/writing your own song?

Roach

11 hours ago, duane v said:

My wife loves American Idol and I'll sometimes sit with her and watch.... I'll have to admit this performance caught me off guard when this 18 year old kid dedicated a song to his recently passed dad. 

That killed me when I 1st saw it ...

On 4/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, Murph said:

I wrote a song about a young girl who was raped and murdered at age 11. She was from our neighborhood in Louisianna and went to school with my sons.

I've never been able to get through it without braking down, or almost braking down.

I finally gave it up.

Bloody hell, not surprising you gave it up.

I also wanted to add that I love listening to music and, of course, there were songs that caused tears. I admire talented songwriters and wanted to write a song myself. Well, what can I do writing nursing essays is insanely difficult for me. That is why I use the help of professional writers. So, I like that the authors of this company have experience in the theory and practice of nursing. This is very important, I think. In addition, they have at least 3 years of writing experience. In this case, I can be sure of the quality of my paper. And also, White Fang, thank you for the wonderful greeting, I'm glad!

Was my pleasure Ruby.  And you seem on the right track.   Not too many(if any) can pick up a guitar(or sit at a piano) for the first time and start writing songs.  Or read their first book and figure, "I can do that."  But, read enough books, learn to play your instrument competently and listen to enough songs(and read enough poetry might help too) and you'll be able to write some songs.  They may not all be great, or even good, but the old maxim "practice makes perfect" also helps.    And you sound like you're full of positive determination.  I'm sure you'll wind up doing well in your songwriting and your nursing essays.   [thumbup]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Retired said:

That's funny! I tell that to our grandkids a lot. Actually singing some old Gospel songs have brought tears. 

Well, if I sang them it would.  And it'd have nothing to do with the lyrics.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Well, if I sang them it would.  And it'd have nothing to do with the lyrics.  [wink]

Whitefang

Well,  todays time, its young peoples stuff I've never heard of. My hearing is so bad I cannot tell how loud  I am. But Debbie is always telling me to shut up because I'm too darn loud.  So I don't sing. I can sing, I used to be in Barber shop, and Choir and boys glee club.way back in time. How are you Ken? That is a good point  on the Noah Ark. Guess they had to throw all the dung in the sea. I never thought about it before. He would have loved the one they made now. It has ramps and elevators, and beds for them and much more. Restrooms on each deck. 

• Like 1

Sure.  I know about hearing loss and being loud.  Not me personally,  but my brother in law Stan  had severe hearing loss and wound up talking at the top of his lungs as a result.  I think I mentioned him to you before.  Never had any hearing aids that did any good for him. 

I was thinking about this "young people's music/"old people's music" thing this morning.  My Mom and I would get into some mock arguments about it.  Truth is, I grew up listening to the radio station she preferred(her being in charge of the radio) until a certain age and also the only records in the house were hers from when she was a teen in the '40's.  So I grew up liking bands like Benny Goodman's, Woody Herman's  Thundering Herds,  Chick Webb and such.  Then when I was about five and would "steal" listens to my brother's crystal radio I discovered, by tuning into some station from Chicago, the Blues.  Then when my Mom remarried an older stepsister stayed with us a while with her record collection of old Hank Williams, Carl Perkins,  Gene Vincent,  Eddie Cochran and such.

And too, my Mom did claim to like some Beatles songs,  And a bit earlier she said she did like The Everly Brothers,  so she really wasn't totally against the music I liked, and I wasn't totally against the music she liked.  But those "mock" arguments about music were fun sometimes.  

And yeah, Noah and his sons dealing with all that dung and the smell in the Ark is something left out of Scripture or any of those biblical movies.  [wink]

Whitefang

On 4/24/2023 at 9:35 AM, Whitefang said:

Sure.  I know about hearing loss and being loud.  Not me personally,  but my brother in law Stan  had severe hearing loss and wound up talking at the top of his lungs as a result.  I think I mentioned him to you before.  Never had any hearing aids that did any good for him. 

I was thinking about this "young people's music/"old people's music" thing this morning.  My Mom and I would get into some mock arguments about it.  Truth is, I grew up listening to the radio station she preferred(her being in charge of the radio) until a certain age and also the only records in the house were hers from when she was a teen in the '40's.  So I grew up liking bands like Benny Goodman's, Woody Herman's  Thundering Herds,  Chick Webb and such.  Then when I was about five and would "steal" listens to my brother's crystal radio I discovered, by tuning into some station from Chicago, the Blues.  Then when my Mom remarried an older stepsister stayed with us a while with her record collection of old Hank Williams, Carl Perkins,  Gene Vincent,  Eddie Cochran and such.

And too, my Mom did claim to like some Beatles songs,  And a bit earlier she said she did like The Everly Brothers,  so she really wasn't totally against the music I liked, and I wasn't totally against the music she liked.  But those "mock" arguments about music were fun sometimes.  

And yeah, Noah and his sons dealing with all that dung and the smell in the Ark is something left out of Scripture or any of those biblical movies.  [wink]

Whitefang

Sort of the same thing here. I grew up listening to the 40's and 50's. I actually like a lot of it. Then I liked the 60's and 70's. Still do. Love the Blues also. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I think it's sad(and I know a few who've done it) when people quit liking the things that brought them joy in their youth.  Especially when it comes to music, movies, books and like that.  Good to know you have better sense. [wink]

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, I think it's sad(and I know a few who've done it) when people quit liking the things that brought them joy in their youth.  Especially when it comes to music, movies, books and like that.  Good to know you have better sense. [wink]

Whitefang

I had this big tube amp my mother bought me for something I forgot what? She said it was very expensive, couple thousand? It was for a concert stage amp. No clue where she bought it from. It was as high as my shoulders. I played my guitars off it and the sustain was wild. I could hit a note and it would go on louder and louder forever. It shook the pictures off the walls upstairs. Went up to volume 10, I never could play that loud. I played on Half below #1 and that was loud. Anyway, I found if I hooked the radio to the amp, put it on its lowest possible setting, I could listen to Wolf Man Jack as I went to sleep. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure how that relates, but I guess nobody in their right mind quits liking their fond memories.  Of course, I never had a shoulder high amp to hook a radio up to.  Just a small digital clock radio on my bedside table.  That was back in the late '60's, and we never got(or heard of) Wolfman Jack in Southeast Michigan back then.  I first heard of him when my buddy came home on leave from camp Pendelton  and told me about him.   Anyway.....

That clock radio had a small speaker that plugged into it that you could put under your pillow and go to sleep listening to the radio.  In '67 I'd put it on a radio station that late at night had a show called "Michigan Movin' " that played mostly folk music.  By the later '60's I had it on the FM band and listened to a variety of "underground counterculture" music stations.  [wink]

"Michigan Movin' " is where I first heard and fell in love with the music of this great lady.....

From debut album "Song To A Seagull"('68)

Whitefang

On 4/27/2023 at 9:41 AM, Whitefang said:

I'm not sure how that relates, but I guess nobody in their right mind quits liking their fond memories.  Of course, I never had a shoulder high amp to hook a radio up to.  Just a small digital clock radio on my bedside table.  That was back in the late '60's, and we never got(or heard of) Wolfman Jack in Southeast Michigan back then.  I first heard of him when my buddy came home on leave from camp Pendelton  and told me about him.   Anyway.....

That clock radio had a small speaker that plugged into it that you could put under your pillow and go to sleep listening to the radio.  In '67 I'd put it on a radio station that late at night had a show called "Michigan Movin' " that played mostly folk music.  By the later '60's I had it on the FM band and listened to a variety of "underground counterculture" music stations.  [wink]

"Michigan Movin' " is where I first heard and fell in love with the music of this great lady.....

From debut album "Song To A Seagull"('68)

Whitefang

Hi Ken, I just gave 3 guitars away free to my son for his birthday. And My home defense gun  also. Told him Happy Birthday. The guitars were an Epiphone Standard, A Gretsch Streamliner, and a Squire vintage modified Jaguar. The Jag was what Reagan always wanted, Grayson wanted my Gretsch, and John loved by Black Standard guitar. I also gave him my guitar rack that holds 5 guitars. Now he has 5 guitars. I still have 6. It gave me more room in my guitar room. My guitar rack can hold 7. I don't play as much today anyway because of Arthritis.  The gun I gave him he wanted for home protection, Its a Taurus Raging Judge. Shoots .45 Colt, .454 Casual, .410 ga. 2 1/2" or 3' Shells. The gun is 5 pounds loaded so too heavy for me anymore. But it shoots 6 rounds and can be loaded in any of those calibers. 

The .454 would be great if someone broke in and had a bullet proof vest on Lol. Might not penetrate the vest but would give them a heart attack. Would be like getting shot with a cannon.