Gibson Brands Forums

Possible Epiphone SG pickup upgrade question

Guitar God

I have an Epiphone SG - '03 model(serial number starts with I03) - that I have had since 2004. Bought it for $180 then when I was 12. Still say it's the best $180 spent, haha. This guitar has its bumps and bruises, but has a lot of sentimental value to me, so I'll never part with it. Built like a tank. Anyway, I have been considering upgrading the pickups in it for quite awhile. The stock pickups do sound good, but I feel it is finally time for an upgrade. I have been considering the Gibson Angus Young pickup in the bridge and a Gibson 57 Classic in the neck. About ready to pull the trigger on those pickups as well as DiMarzio Model J pickups for my white M.I.M Fender Jazz Bass. Have read great reviews on the Gibson Angus Young pickup and watched some YouTube clips of them, but I have never heard one in person. Just curious on everyone's thoughts in that pickup. Here is a pic of the Epiphone SG.

lq3lUiG.jpg

I have an Epiphone SG - '03 model(serial number starts with I03) - that I have had since 2004. Bought it for $180 then when I was 12. Still say it's the best $180 spent, haha. This guitar has its bumps and bruises, but has a lot of sentimental value to me, so I'll never part with it. Built like a tank. Anyway, I have been considering upgrading the pickups in it for quite awhile. The stock pickups do sound good, but I feel it is finally time for an upgrade. I have been considering the Gibson Angus Young pickup in the bridge and a Gibson 57 Classic in the neck. About ready to pull the trigger on those pickups as well as DiMarzio Model J pickups for my white M.I.M Fender Jazz Bass. Have read great reviews on the Gibson Angus Young pickup and watched some YouTube clips of them, but I have never heard one in person. Just curious on everyone's thoughts in that pickup. Here is a pic of the Epiphone SG.

If you're keeping it forever, go for it! I heavily upgraded my '93 G-400 (see specs in signature). I have more invested in upgrades than the guitar is worth, but I'll never sell it, so that doesn't bother me. For the investment I got a much better guitar, every bit as good as a Gibson in my opinion!

I've planned to upgrade my '01 G-400 pups since I got it, but it never sounded 'bad' enough for me to want to swap them out. That was also the first 'real (actual first guitar was a real cheap squier strat)' guitar that I purchased. So in a way it is nice to keep it as it was/is.

Guest Farnsbarns

My '90ish G400 is virtually unplayable and needs a refret but it's the first guitar I bought for myself so I'm going to get it done one day.

I've planned to upgrade my '01 G-400 pups since I got it, but it never sounded 'bad' enough for me to want to swap them out. That was also the first 'real (actual first guitar was a real cheap squier strat)' guitar that I purchased. So in a way it is nice to keep it as it was/is.

That is the issue I am having with mine, too. The pickups really don't sound bad at all. But I still wouldn't care to do an upgrade.

Archived