Gibson Brands Forums

2017 - Limited Edition - Emerald Green Gibson SJ-200

Surrey_Joe

Here's a question...what do people find offensive about this guitar?

Is it the colour itself? Or the fact it deviates from the classic sunburst/natural colour schemes historically define the model?

Personally I find the silverburst and iguanaburst Hummingbirds unpleasant to the eye, but just because they're not particularly pleasant colour schemes that look wrong to me.

I find the dark green SJ200 appealing though, it may be untraditional but it's appealingly different.

Here's a question...what do people find offensive about this guitar?

Is it the colour itself? Or the fact it deviates from the classic sunburst/natural colour schemes historically define the model?

Personally I find the silverburst and iguanaburst Hummingbirds unpleasant to the eye, but just because they're not particularly pleasant colour schemes that look wrong to me.

I find the dark green SJ200 appealing though, it may be untraditional but it's appealingly different.

Maybe I'm out of line to respond to your question because I'm not rejecting the color, so advance apologies.... I kind of like that it's a green that's actually found in nature - outside the jungle. It reminds me of the old Gibson 'Venetian Brown' which was, well, green! It doesn't make my eyes hurt or give me a headache. It's a green that could appear on a tastefully painted automobile, like the old Pontiac bottle green. It doesn't compete with the J-200 bling - to my eye it might just enhance it. I'm so hardcore traditional about most things guitar that it might allow me entry to a world that often seems to be leaving me behind😰

Green has been my favorite colour since a kid and I stick to it.

Don't feel appalled or offended by this one and find much more attractive than a fx blue version.

Still see it as kind of waste of 200. Those guitars are so majestic and proud.

Don't know about the reds, but the piece of hand-soap below makes me slide over the floor knocking my head 'gainst the zink.

He plays it good though, mr. Stills junior

2013 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd3uGMEYQNY

Exactly what I was thinking. Don calls his Ferrington "Kelly", so maybe we should come up with a name for the J-200?

Not sure I have a suggestion for a nick-name, but Dono's rather new (approx 26 years old) Kelly seems to have earned some mojo, mojow.

And it sounds good, , , actually very leitchseq.

A guitar I'd really like to try, , , just as the purple-blue-moon Zemaitis, , , not to mention the old long gone cherry 45.

Gotta wonder if that one is still alive somewhere.

Not sure I have a suggestion for a nick-name, but Dono's rather new (approx 26 years old) Kelly seems to have earned some mojo, mojow.

And it sounds good, , , actually very leitchseq.

A guitar I'd really like to try, , , just as the purple-blue-moon Zemaitis, , , not to mention the old long gone cherry 45.

Gotta wonder if that one is still alive somewhere.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but speaking of Don's famous J-45, here it is in a picture I took on June 3, 1968 at a festival near Peterborough, Lincolnshire. Don's musical director John Cameron can be seen playing John Mayall's Hammond organ (Mayall was second on the bill). Harold McNair is on flute and Danny Thompson can be seen over Don's shoulder on double bass

yYNbsgZ.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread, but speaking of Don's famous J-45, here it is in a picture I took on June 3, 1968 at a festival near Peterborough, Lincolnshire. Don's musical director John Cameron can be seen playing John Mayall's Hammond organ (Mayall was second on the bill). Harold McNair is on flute and Danny Thompson can be seen over Don's shoulder on double bass

Wow, great pic - authenticity-value up under the moon. And a strong line-up for sure.

This was after the 45 had new Grover-like tuners - something tells me they were more hip than white ovals back then - but before the guard came off.

Can't imagine the threadhost doesn't appreciate this side-road.

Welcome S_Joe

[/size]

Wow, great pic - authenticity-value up under the moon. And a strong line-up for sure.

This was after the 45 had new Grover-like tuners - something tells me they were more hip than white ovals back then - but before the guard came off.

Can't imagine the threadhost doesn't appreciate this side-road.

Welcome S_Joe

Replacing the Kluson factory tuners with Grovers (or Schallers) was something nearly everyone did back then, for better or worse (usually worse). I recently put back the white button Klusons on my 1964 Epi Texan, after replacing them with Grovers 40 years ago. It seemed cool at the time.

Another thing many people did back then was to rip out the neck pick-up on their Telecasters and stick in a Humbucker. I did it to my 1971 Tele, much to my regret years later.

Sam Ash has one for sale, so I contacted them. They said ""probably 50". I think this color variation would appeal more to people who are Not pre-disposed to think guitars can only be blondes or brunettes. There's a lithe young thing down at the pool lately with that same shade of hair. She'd probably prefer it over a traditional sunburst. I could get use to her. I mean it .... the guitar.

Archived