Gibson Brands Forums

For the Townes van Zandt fans

Lars68

Thanks Anne

Read my mind

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald bores me too

Although its melody is much better than cold Missouri waters

I only commented on the song due to 'everyone is trying to write pancho and lefty (which is fantastic) or cold Missouri waters (which is ... well , shite really)

Boy howdy, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. I know taste in music is subjective, but Keelaghan is one of the finer songwriters Canada has churned out, and "Cold Missouri Waters" is a great bit of history and songwriting. It's a genre of folk -- the retelling of an epic historical story -- and it is recognized as a classic of the genre.

Granted, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but both from a subjective and objective point of view, I would argue that calling it "shite" is far too harsh.

Boy howdy, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. I know taste in music is subjective, but Keelaghan is one of the finer songwriters Canada has churned out, and "Cold Missouri Waters" is a great bit of history and songwriting. It's a genre of folk -- the retelling of an epic historical story -- and it is recognized as a classic of the genre.

Granted, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but both from a subjective and objective point of view, I would argue that calling it "shite" is far too harsh.

😄

Fair comment

Just not my type of song I guess

Taking a news report and making the story rhyme doesn't float my boat

Hurricane by Dylan is genius though

😄

Fair comment

Just not my type of song I guess

Taking a news report and making the story rhyme doesn't float my boat

Hurricane by Dylan is genius though

To be fair, Keeleghan was not rewriting a news report, but was inspired to write it after reading Norman Maclean's book, "Young Men and Fire." It's a great book about the Mann Gulch fire.

Archived