Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Day!

rct

Well that was a hoot!

Headed down to Wilmington DE today, and if you've ever driven west of Philly you know that was a job. Yeesh. Hot as blazes too.

So SG and Epi went out.

68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb-Amp in. 35 watts, 2 10s, two channels, blah blah blah.

The "vintage" channel sounds like my dads...well, my sliver face Fender. Nice.

The "custom" channel has more grunt, breaks nice at about 5 or so. Reverb and Trem(if you like that) on both channels. Cleans from the hand of Leo, shimmer when you want it on the Vintage channel, barks like mad dog on the Custom channel. I use a Carl Martin thingy for the overdone, over saturated, creamy, thick, liquidy, caramel violin tone for my shredderific arpeggiated 70's arena rock leads in Bad Moon Rising.

Oh yeah, pictures or it didn't happen. I moved it over by the window for some good light this time!

Vibrolux_1.jpg

Vibrolux_2.jpg

Pretty sweet ehy? Shout out to Wilmington DE Guitar Center. Great store, lots of really good stuff. I've been in and bought stuff from GCs all over the country, this one is a good one, and Delaware is the home of tax free shopping!

rct

I live in York however when I am making a big purchase from Guitar Center, I have it shipped to the Wilmington store. It is nice to avoid the tax.

And a great store all around. Big sections of everything. Makes ours down here in AC NJ look pathetic, even though I love them guys and try to buy there. It's worth it for me to just drive over to Wilmington from now on for anything expensive.

I'm off to KoP GC and Sam Ash today, figure I can stink them places up with Stairway on some Gretsch or something that I'll never buy, through some practice amp on 11. The Sam Ash out here is one of the best, after Orlando.

rct

Congratz on a great purchase. I always enjoy the vivid sonic imagery in your descriptions. msp_thumbup.gif

lolz thanks. Guitaring started the long slide down when they started describing playing like that. In 2013 I was at the Fedner Fakktory and was ripping up this EJRW that I had finally run into, after a few years of looking for one. It was the wrong color, but I at least got to plug it into a Vibro King(gaaaaahhhh) and blast. One of the elite employees of that fine company came over to chat about whether I wanted to buy it for List - 10% + CA sales tax(NO), and I talked to him seriously like that. It took him a second and he shook his head and was giggling something about a sshole as he strolled away. It was exhilarating! I did end up asking if they could get me a Turquoise EJRW off the floor still wet paint and everything and I'd think about buying but no, couldn't do that. Leo woulda.

rct

Do you have to cut a hole in the box to plug it in? [flapper]

It's wireless. Its state of the art for Fender Box amps. The frame is made with endangered cardboard that comes from India, the finest for it tonal properties.

farm.jpg

YaY! Got lots of hours on it this week and two rehearsals, band is happy and so am I. It's a keeper!

68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb:

Vibrolux_3.jpg

Vibrolux_4.jpg

Vibrolux5.jpg

And once again I can use all those vintage amp jewels I amassed in the 90's at the guitar shows:

Vibrolux_6.jpg

rct

And once again I can use all those vintage amp jewels I amassed in the 90's at the guitar shows:

Vibrolux_6.jpg

rct

Sweet! Glad it sounds as good as it looks. I like to change the jewels in my Fenders as well. Green and purple are my favorites. [thumbup]

And thanks for the timely reminder. Just realized I'm taking my new Champ to a beach bar gig tonight and I hadn't changed the jewel... oh the horror. It's all good now... purple. [biggrin]

Nice!

I got my chest handles on it today. I know, resale value blah blah blah. I've been using that pair of chest handles on my gigger for a very long time now, a Twin, a Hot Rod, two Prosonics, Champeen 100, now this one. No use wrecking yer arm by dangling 42 pounds from one hand.

rct

Archived