Gibson Brands Forums

Which Pickups Do You Prefer For Your Les Pauls?

sixstrings

I think it deppends on what guitar you are installing them into (studio' date=' VM, standard, custom, reissue, solid, swees cheese, pancake, chambered).

But I love my BB pros... [/quote']

And I'm Pretty sure thats why gibson has more than 1 type of humbucker, because different woods/weight relieving/chambering/thickness all lead to different sounds, and they know about this. I have to say Congrats to gibson for what they have done.

And I'm Pretty sure thats why gibson has more than 1 type of humbucker' date=' because different woods/weight relieving/chambering/thickness all lead to different sounds, and they know about this. I have to say Congrats to gibson for what they have done.[/quote']

+1

Exactly what I think... some people will go and tell you right up "you should buy some dimarzio XXXX or some _____ pickups..."

Yeah maybe with their guitar they sound good/great but maybe with yours they will suck...

I've said it before, there's a good reason the guys at Gibson use the pickup model they use for each guitar... after all they are the experts.

Ive seen people put Duncans into a Shectre (yeah wrong spelling) and hated it, but the same Duncan into a washburn and loved it. Its a game of Find the pickup in the haystack, but not terribly hard, if you know what you are doing. I will never change pickups because mine sound like they are the backbone to the guitar, which they are.

call me crazy' date=' but I actually like the ceramics that come in LP Classics and Explorers/V's. I dont know if I like them more than other Gibson pickups, but they definately dont sound bad (IMO)[/quote']

You're right, they're actually pretty good. They're just too hot. The only Gibson pickups I haven't tried besides the signature models are the Dirty Fingers. I prefer the sound of vintage - medium output pickups.

The ceramics sound good for overdriven tones and heavy distortion. They actually sound better in the flying V than the LP Classic in my opinion. The LP Classic is too lightweight and hollow sounding. In an LP Classic, they can get a little harsh in a bright amp. The flying V is more solid and doesn't have a maple cap so the highs are tamed.

In any case, I wasn't too fond of them for clean or light overdriven sounds. Still probably better than most Seymour Duncans.

I also like the 496r-500t pickups in my les paul,they sound huge,i always played lower output type pickups like the 57 classics and duncan 59s,i stayed away from high output type pickups because of what people would say about them,like for example they sound harsh and effect your tone in a bad way, until i played the 496r and the 500t,in my opinion they sound very brown(van halen),i like those pickups alot,harmonics explode off the fret board and i like the highend and the extra juice they produce,les pauls tend to be warm sounding guitars to begain with,these pickups add the icing on the cake.

Archived