Gibson Brands Forums

Solar Eclipse

Wee Davy

Well, that was REALLY cool. I have seen a partial before and I can say now a total eclipse is an entirely different thing. We had about 57 seconds of total eclipse here and it was amazing. I have to admit that I may have been a bit dismissive of how significant this may be be. I was blown away. I have never seen anything quite like it before, needless to say. The corona was unbelievable. If you're in the path, make sure to watch, but BE SAFE. msp_thumbup.gif

I did. I used those special glasses. We got 88% of the sun covered where I live in Virginia. Never went totally dark, just kind of like some cloud came out.

About the same here in N FL. Not even like dusk really. Plus it was cloudy. We had a bunch of students stay after school to view it so it was pretty anti-climactic. The clouds finally cleared enough for a few kids to ruin their retinas. :rolleyes: Just kidding of course. With the special glasses you could see the actual eclipse - otherwise you wouldn't have even noticed.

I have to admit that I may have been a bit dismissive of how significant this may be be. I was blown away. I have never seen anything quite like it before, needless to say.

Good to hear it and sorry I missed it. Even at 91%, it was still way too bright to have anything close to that full effect. The ambient light was a little diminished, like looking around through some weak sunglasses. It was a little cooler. (It was still hot.) I borrowed some of the viewing glasses. Yep, there it is. It's really the thought behind these solar system bodies going about their orbits that's the head trip. The little image of 91% through the smoked glasses, eh, not so much.

What I thought WAS weird (and visible) was the sharpness of the shadows. I was downtown, lots of building shadows. I didn't even realize it at the time - there was something weird about the whole scene, beyond the slightly dimmer light. The shadow edges were razor sharp! A shadow's edge is usually a blur of so many inches or whatever, since it's getting light from across the Sun's disk. During the eclipse, it's more like from a point. It gave the whole scene a movie set or comic book feel. Weird!

Awesome doesn't even come close we had 0:01:18 of totality absolutely the most unique natural event I have ever witnessed.

Awe struck is a great description.

🌑🌞

Hey sjl200, didn't know I had another neighbor on the forum. I'm in Affton, MO. We also had more than a minute of Totality... closer to 1:30. It was more than awesome. It gives me a new look on life to just how small we really are.

Hey sjl200, didn't know I had another neighbor on the forum. I'm in Affton, MO. We also had more than a minute of Totality... closer to 1:30. It was more than awesome. It gives me a new look on life to just how small we really are.

Hay ,neighbor ya it was a trip. about 1/2 hr from where I live to get 75 seconds or so of totality ..........if I'm alive for the next one I'm going!

Really put "everything" in perspective.

Archived