Gibson Brands Forums

Samash has more 2015 LPs on clearance

thejay

I'd pretty much echo what the Rev. earlier.

The Ocean Blue Trad for $1,400 is an absolute steal for anyone who likes - or even just doesn't mind - the 2015 improvements. Some of these changes could also be altered for those more 'traditionally minded'. I believe the G-Force system can be swapped without any peghead alteration (and sold-on). Likewise the nut. The peghead logo could be, erm, disguised(?) somehow. Surely? I'm not a fan of fret-over-binding but I know some are.

I really couldn't handle (Ho! Ho! Ho!) the wider neck, though, and as it also has what they describe as 'Gibson's thickest profile neck' it's definitely not for me.

Nonetheless; a steal for those less temperamental about these things than myself.

Pip.

I love the neck on the 2015s and that is the number one selling point for me besides the price. I always thought I preferred the nib over fret until I got the Less +.

I love the neck on the 2015s and that is the number one selling point for me besides the price. I always thought I preferred the nib over fret until I got the Less +.

Yes, as I said; I know that some players prefer the 2015 changes and I'm very happy for them (and for you).

The biggest (pun) problem I have with my R9 is the neck profile; it's about the beefiest 'Baseball-Bat' neck I've ever played and I don't really like it too much. My other three LPs all have a '60s profile neck which I find more comfortable by far. Furthermore I've never owned a 'Classical' nor 'Spanish-style' guitar and have subsequently never had much experience of playing a wide-neck guitar and so the extra 'board width of the '15 range - subtle as it is - is not comfortable for me. Given the choice - and we have been - I'll always choose the regular size width.

As far as fret-over-binding goes; I have nine guitars with this configuration so it's not a problem nor a deal-breaker for me. I just happen to prefer that my Gibsons (if bound) have nibs.

Pip.

Archived