Gibson Brands Forums

Package of... salt in case?

Brown Rug

What the hell do you think its for ? Its to put on your chips. Gibson have been giving away free chip salt for years. Its silica gel and its designed to absorbe moisture just leave it in the case.[-X

Ok forget the chip salt idea thats just stupid, what it realy is is a very powerful mind control drug very cleverly hidden in silica bags buy Gibson that once touched you will be unable to stop buying Gibson guitars. A stroke of genius buy those chaps at Gibson. google it and I think you will find Im correct.

i understand why you'd want to take yours out of your new jacket and whatever, but i still have mine in the case to let it do its job. theres a difference...you dont want to be on a date and the damn packet fall outof your jacket making it an awkward situation, right? the case is different. leave it in there IMO

The stuff only works for so long - if it has absorbed a lot of moisture then it's spent. If it wasn't in a paper/cloth bag you could put it in a warm oven for awhile to release the moisture. I have a big aluminum can of the stuff meant for storing electronics and photo equipment, and it has a little window in it so you can see it change color from blue to yellow when you heat it (or vice versa, can't remember which is damp and which is dry). Same stuff in the air-line filters for spray equipment and the "do not eat" packages in consumer electronics. I seem to recall the one that came in a Fender black tolex case was a large suede bag of the stuff, but I don't remember it being in the Gibson case oddly enough.

It's full of dried silica gel and is intended to absorb excessive moisture. That's all great in a wet environment, but in winter or areas with low ambient humidity it's a detriment. Best to throw that thing away. It's only meant for short term use and can cause damage should the bag rupture and the stuff get loose inside the case or on the guitar. And, as the bag usually says, don't eat it.

Geez don't yall know nothing? Its a emergency french fry salting kit.............

Wait a min I better not say that; someone just might believe it and with luck I would be held responsible for the death of a redneck who thought it was really salt.

uh oh.

is there a doctor in the house?

It's full of dried silica gel and is intended to absorb excessive moisture. That's all great in a wet environment' date=' but in winter or areas with low ambient humidity it's a detriment. Best to throw that thing away. It's only meant for short term use and can cause damage should the bag rupture and the stuff get loose inside the case or on the guitar. And, as the bag usually says, don't eat it. [/quote']

+1

Better off getting yourself a nice humidifier / dehumidifier and work at keeping the relative humidity in your home in the correct range.

Geez don't yall know nothing? Its a emergency french fry salting kit.............

Wait a min I better not say that; someone just might believe it and with luck I would be held responsible for the death of a redneck who thought it was really salt.

No silly, it's for doing Tequilla shots to celebrate the new Gibson! :-&/

They sell bigger packets for use in the home.

A silica gel packet, once engorged, you can put within range of of sunlight and dry it out.

They also sell dehumidifiers which are just an adaptation of an airconditioner.

Too expensive to operate.

Silica gel helps in leatherware because, well, you don't want leather to be unpacked in a strange green tint and /or shrunken because of moisture, then you have to use saddle soap, even olive oil will do.

Archived