Gibson Brands Forums

Everly Brothers Jumbo Rides Again

JuanCarlosVejar

I doubt it be his original Black Everly since she got stolen from his house back in the 70s; and it's hard to imagine Alun, who turned three quarters of a century this year, tracking down the robber(y) from back then. Also, the one in the clip features golden tuners, which, while fitting surprisingly well to the cream binding, his original didn't come equipped with.

It was probably his son who first brought a Black Everly into the household upon which Yusuf started playing guitar again bit by bit (that was mentioned in one of his first interviews An Other Cup-era). On the photos made by Danny Clinch earlier this or last year he's also holding a different Black Everly with the authentic chrome Grover tuners she's always had.

Still one of the best guitars for singer/songwriters there is.

I doubt it be his original Black Everly since she got stolen from his house back in the 70s; and it's hard to imagine Alun, who turned three quarters of a century this year, tracking down the robber(y) from back then. Also, the one in the clip features golden tuners, which, while fitting surprisingly well to the cream binding, his original didn't come equipped with.

It was probably his son who first brought a Black Everly into the household upon which Yusuf started playing guitar again bit by bit (that was mentioned in one of his first interviews An Other Cup-era). On the photos made by Danny Clinch earlier this or last year he's also holding a different Black Everly with the authentic chrome Grover tuners she's always had.

Still one of the best guitars for singer/songwriters there is.

L,

Your right I had also noticed the gold tuners but thought it was an effect due to the lighting . The story I have heard is that during his 2016 US acoustic tour he told the audience that Alun and his brother David found that guitar for him .

I've gone back and looked at the Danny Clinch photos and I am scratching my head.

In this one they look Gold :

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2014/10/30/yusuf_1_-c-danny-clinch-de026389caaf1bc5f674b978c7022af1d971bb82-s700-c85.jpg

In This one they look Chrome/Silver:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56b0c87162cd94c9a28eb853/56bcd3b9c2ea51881c34e8e2/56bcd3db22482e51302aa024/1490211190724/YUSUF-ISLAM-14403-SHOT12_130.jpg?format=750w

JC

Hm, that makes me scratch my head as well. I've never seen a Black Everly with golden tuners and a golden star on the headstock before (some international versions had different odd features in various capacities, though).

Perhaps it's down to the different lighting / filters in the photos and video as you said. It's very likely then the very same guitar.

Hm, that makes me scratch my head as well. I've never seen a Black Everly with golden tuners and a golden star on the headstock before (some international versions had different odd features in various capacities, though).

Perhaps it's down to the different lighting / filters in the photos and video as you said. It's very likely then the very same guitar.

L,

As far as the gold star I can give you some info.

The old gibson mop logos on most 40's and 50's archtop electrics and les pauls became gold with age ...This may be true for vintage gibson acoustics ... Yusuf's EB is proof . But gold hardware usually fades with age.

Here's an example of a vintage mop gone gold:

http://proguitarshop.com/media/cms/blog/headstock-lp.jpg

JC

Archived