Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul guitar

Luap

What are the main differences in sound and features?

As you'll discover' date=' were you to check out a few pages in the forum, every instrument within the same model range can sound different. The only sure-fire way to know what any individual instrument sounds like is to play it.

I'm not trying to be a smartarse BTW.

The differences between the models have also been discussed in detail here. The Studio was meant to be a no-frills (no body-binding etc) version. They are [i']very[/i] good guitars as well as being the least expensive. A great number of Forum members sing praises to these guitars. The 2009 Standard has a few changes to the spec from previous years. Some people have expressed reservations about these changes as being an improvement per se. Details are on the main Gibson site, as it's the current model. The Trad is, some say, the nearest in spirit to the original Les Paul Standard available nowadays without going into the realm of the re-issues.

They are all excellent instruments and you really do have to try them out yourself in order to find out which suits you best. This should also be a very enjoyable experience!

Good luck.

As you'll discover' date=' were you to check out a few pages in the forum, every instrument within the same model range can sound different. The only sure-fire way to know what any individual instrument sounds like is to play it.

The differences between the models have also been discussed in detail here. The Studio was meant to be a no-frills (no body-binding etc) version. They are [i']very[/i] good guitars as well as being the least expensive. A great number of Forum members sing praises to these guitars. The 2009 Standard has a few changes to the spec from previous years. Some people have expressed reservations about these changes as being an improvement per se. Details are on the main Gibson site, as it's the current model. The Trad is, some say, the nearest in spirit to the original Les Paul Standard available nowadays without going into the realm of the re-issues.

They are all excellent instruments and you really do have to try them out yourself in order to find out which suits you best. This should also be a very enjoyable experience!

Good luck.

+1

Yeah I'm gonna go to bed.. Night.

Good luck.

Jeez (breathes a sigh of relief that sanity exists) that was probably the best piece of advice about getting a Les Paul I have read.

Matt

The Maple top is a bit more expensive. Is the Maple Top better (better sounding etc) than the Gold Top or Ebony? Or is it just more work' date=' so more exspensive?[/quote']

The Gold-top also has the maple cap.

Maple is usually described as being 'brighter' than the mahogany which is, in turn, usually described as being 'warmer'.

The Gold-top also has the maple cap.

Maple is usually described as being 'brighter' than the mahogany which is' date=' in turn, usually described as being 'warmer'.

[/quote']

But it is not per se "better quality wood"?

Hi there. I'm going to buy a new guitar' date=' and I just want to know which Les Paul you prefer/which is better:

- Traditional

or

- Standard 2008

or

- Studio

__

Thank you!

[/quote']

As many have stated before - play them all. And go with the one that feels best to you. Try to play them through an amp that you have, so you can hear what it'll sound like when you get it home. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Unfortunately, I am only able to play a Studio. That one I played was very nice and sounded good. But I just want to know, when I buy a Standard 2008, am I getting a much better guitar? From what I hear and read (Plek'd, chambered, assymetric neck), it must be a better guitar...isn't it?

IDK... I love standards... (I like the new standard a lot too) but in general I think people like the traditional more than the standard nowadays... your best bet is to ogo out there and try as many as you can... then decide not based on a name or price (if price isnt a factor for you) but based on tone, playability, and of course, looks.

Archived