Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer - Fake?

SKPPERR

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase what is said to be a "1978 Gibson Explorer". It was refinished, but the serial number was left unpainted. The serial number does date back to 1978, however my concern is the "stamped" serial number. As you will see, the stamped numbers and location on the back of the headstock have me curious. The numbers are larger than what I've seen on past 1978 Gibsons. Also, in 1978, Gibson used serial decal stickers on some of the guitars. The rest of the guitar specs seem to be in-line with other '78s.

Attached is a picture of the headstock/serial number. Any help in confirming whether this is real or fake would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1978-Gibson-Explorer-Guitar-Body-Black-Project-Original-Case-USA/152671594529?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks!

Don't know about fake, but hasn't it sold already?

Looking at the body, I only see two holes routed for pots instead of the usual three.... #-o:-k

Some 80s EXP 425 Explorers had two pots and a bunch of mini toggles between them, no sign of the routing for those either.

Maybe a former owner plugged the third hole and sprayed over it?

Archived