Gibson Brands Forums

Aging Strings On Different Guitars

Victory Pete

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been using Imgur for a few weeks now....

It is great - quick, easy and ad free....but......

If I copy a photo from Photobucket to my computer, then copy that photo to Imgur then paste it from Imgur images to other forums (AGF, UMGF), I get a photo the size of a house...

So, in Imgur for the Gibson Forum (all forums are different), I have to go to the resize menu, make it 17 inch monitor - no idea why but the photos come in to the forum a reasonable size, but in other forums, AFTER opening a photo in Imgur, click on "Huge Thumbnail" (Oh, photo from when I was on holiday - I haven't moved houses!):

2FdBjOw.jpg

BluesKing777.

If I copy a photo from Photobucket to my computer, then copy that photo to Imgur then paste it from Imgur images to other forums (AGF, UMGF), I get a photo the size of a house...

Yes, I've dropped some huge photobombs here since going to imgur. 'Had to go back there to edit, take maybe 150-ish pixels off of the first of the 2 dimensions, keep "lock proportions" checked to get something that will fit on the screen here on the board.

Dylan’s a little so and so In that clip isn’t he

Oh yes, indeed. One could do an in-depth psychoanalytic play-by-play of facial expressions at the time of the guitar re-po'. I thought there was a higher definition version on YouTube that had been posted here some time back.

Alternate titles for the video would make for a bit of fun.

Step off the roof.

Take a hit...

Exhale.

That has nothing to do with Gibson Forum. That's the Photobucket product that you choose to use, or not use. They changed their policy. It's a photobucket issue. Many of us have dropped our PB accounts a while ago because of this policy. There are many free options out there. IMGUR is one.

Gibson Forum has a very inadequate Photo Attachment. So please you "Step Off Of the Roof".

Because some are helpful?

The best way to ask for help and get folks eager to help you out is:

a) Ask nicely and humbly, giving as much detail as to what you are experiencing and what like help fixing (i.e. I use photobucket, an ipad or a PC)

or.....

b ) Freak out at Gibson, and WTF nine times ( I see you have since edited some of your commentary)

Discuss....

The best way to ask for help and get folks eager to help you out is:

a) Ask nicely and humbly, giving as much detail as to what you are experiencing and what like help fixing (i.e. I use photobucket, an ipad or a PC)

or.....

b ) Freak out at Gibson, and WTF nine times ( I see you have since edited some of your commentary)

Discuss....

I know how to use forums, but when on a forum that we still cannot post pictures easily in this day and age I will react accordingly. It also seems the same argumentative and belligerent behavior is always exhibited by the same members, this is true on many forums.

I noticed something this morning, as I was wiping down my (old) strings on my HD-28, I noticed the cloth showed very dark green lines from the strings, I had seen this before but have not seen it before I took out the Martin. The Gibsons don't seem to do this. I wonder if the strings react with the ebony board differently.

I noticed something this morning, as I was wiping down my (old) strings on my HD-28, I noticed the cloth showed very dark green lines from the strings, I had seen this before but have not seen it before I took out the Martin. The Gibsons don't seem to do this. I wonder if the strings react with the ebony board differently.

[/quote

]"It's Not Easy Being Green."

Never had green show up on a wipe-off cloth when going over strings. Except that time I ran out of chips when I was only half way through some guacamole dip.

Not sure what this has to do with your hypothesis re.dead strings being caused by the affect of bracing on string tension on 2 other guitars.

The green coming off the strings is the oxidation being wiped off. Copper turns green with oxidation.

As for the photo issue, it's definitely Photobucket trouble. Imgur is so much easier.......and free. When you upload photos you can choose size from a thumbnail to full original size. The 600x800 size is perfect for forum posting. If you select "BBCode" you can just paste that into your reply without need to use the IMG button.

[/quote

]"It's Not Easy Being Green."

Never had green show up on a wipe-off cloth when going over strings. Except that time I ran out of chips when I was only half way through some guacamole dip.

Not sure what this has to do with your hypothesis re.dead strings being caused by the affect of bracing on string tension on 2 other guitars.

This has to do with curiosity and observations. Again, thanks for proving my point.

The green coming off the strings is the oxidation being wiped off. Copper turns green with oxidation.

As for the photo issue, it's definitely Photobucket trouble. Imgur is so much easier.......and free. When you upload photos you can choose size from a thumbnail to full original size. The 600x800 size is perfect for forum posting. If you select "BBCode" you can just paste that into your reply without need to use the IMG button.

I understand about corrosion and why it is green, I am curious about it occurring on my HD-28 with ebony fret board. I thought that was a bit clear in my post. I will look into Imgur, strange name and all.

Not the only thing. Many, many people hate dead strings. I have a stash of casualties waiting to be recycled.

WP_20170301_003.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/hkyS6

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/hkyS6"><a href="//imgur.com/hkyS6"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

. . . If you select "BBCode" you can just paste that into your reply without need to use the IMG button.

Good tip- thanks for the shortcut.

Getting curiouser and curiouser.

Have you ever used naphtha to restore a little zing to the strings? The proof is on the paper towel. Just be sure to wear hearing protection- the frequencies/squeaking generated from the strings are/is ear splitting.

Archived