Gibson Brands Forums

Which 1960 Melody Maker

Price88

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the process of buying a 1960 Melody Maker. I have the choice between two, either a 1960 single pickup (thinner pickup) without original case or a 1960 double pickup version with original case. Obviously the latter is more in price. I plan to use the guitar for the occasional gig (I play through a Marshall AVT150 with minimal effects) so wanted to see if anyone has had experience with both the single pickup MM and the double pickup MM and what your thoughts are. Is it worth paying the extra for a double pickup MM? or do you think its worth saving a few hundred £££'s and getting the single pickup version?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

I am one for versatility and so I would vote the two pickup version. The range of sounds and tones you will be able to get using either pickup alone or both in combination will you give you many more options than a single pickup with just a tone knob.

The old saying you get what you pay for it usually true. If you pay less - you will get less Les. [flapper]

I am one for versatility and so I would vote the two pickup version. The range of sounds and tones you will be able to get using either pickup alone or both in combination will you give you many more options than a single pickup with just a tone knob.

The old saying you get what you pay for it usually true. If you pay less - you will get less Les. [flapper]

Thanks Twang Gang. Yes i think i have to agree. The double pickup version would suit me better especially if i want to gig the guitar. I'm importing from the USA so just need to get my CITES permit sorted. I did a facetime call with the seller and it sounded great. He also has a single pickup version I didn't like as much when i heard. Once i have it I'll post some picks. Having to sell my LP classic 94' to pay for it though :(

Archived