Gibson Brands Forums

Gold Top 72

natas7509

Hi. My father swapped his 335 for this gold top. After extensive research I've discovered this is a 72 deluxe from the kalamazoo plant. Looks like the previous owner installed a harmonica bridge (SG 70's etc). I like it a lot and think I'll keep it. I am interested in putting in the correct pic guard and new hum bucker rings, but think it'll be difficult finding any discolored relic parts. Any leads on this?

I took the Dimarzio super distortion hum buckers out last week, they were cool but the bridge pick up had a very harsh and unpleasant frequency to it at times.

Unfortunately as you can see the dimarzio's loosened the pick up rings so I'd like to replace asap.

The previous owner (before my father) added the Grover tuners and a 3 way pick up switch (between the volume and tone pots) It was a terrible switch which served no purpose but to flip the neck pick up into a single coil. I removed that last week and filled the hole with a pearl drop.

That's about it. Would love any ideas you have about where to find a new pick guard and pick up rings.

cheerspost-87151-010867600 1504578853_thumb.jpg

As long as it plays and sounds OK I'd leave it as is. You're not going to find any pickup rings that are as beat up as the finish on that guitar, so the warped rings sort of fit the with the rest of it.

That is a fair point. I think it's more to do with the lack of protection from dust. Will see how it holds up.

Odd, too, that the Gibson factory would "Gold Top" a figured Maple top, with an opaque color (Gold).

They usually reserved the figured tops, for the more transparent "burst" colors. "Usually" being

the operative word. Do you know if the "Gold Top" is it's original finish, or if it had been re-

finished, that color, at some point? Curious...

CB

As loved as that guitar is, I think the warped pickup rings suit it well. If everything works and nothing's causing any issues, I'd keep it as is.

But, you can either get new rings and age them yourself with dyes, maybe even coffee or tea to make them a bit more yellow or orange.

These guys are offering aged replacements for about $200.00.

https://www.throbak.com/store/p27/ThroBak_M-69_Butyrate_Humbucker_Guitar_Pickup_Mounting_Ring_Pair.html

I think that's kind of an outrageous price and there's probably other people doing the same thing.

There are a lot of options for aged rings but frankly you can probably heat and clamp those rings back into shape. That's what I would do.

After heatig, clamping and straitening the rings i would carve the bottoms to follow the shape of the top of the guitar. This will prevent the rings from deforming again.

Ps, you dont need to worry about dust coming in around the pickup rings

CB.. looks like checking on the body to me more than flamage

I think you're right!! I had really just glanced at it, but after your observation,

I took a magnifying glass to it, to be sure, and I concur. [thumbup] Thanks!! [biggrin]

As to aged pickup rings, suppliers like "Creamtone," "Vintage Relic" and other's could help...IF, the OP

decides to go that way.

https://www.creamtone.com/

http://vintagerelic.com/parts/plastic/gibson-plastic/

CB

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't early 70's Deluxe's have mini hums, a la Pete Townshend.

They sure did. There was a small window where they were producing the early 70's models with the regulars though. My Luthier seems to think it was one of those due to the original pick up housing that was visible when he subbed out the dimarzio's, so we are both inclined to think that mini humbuckers were never on this baby. However, due to the vagueness of Gibson information, for a period of time there (even with serial info) it becomes difficult to get solid answers.

To a couple of other posters : yes, original finish, slight green oxidization coming through maybe? (I heard a lot of humid States here in the U.S. are culprits of this)

Thanks for all the helpful replies, much appreciated!

Archived