Gibson Brands Forums

That Korina build

Rabs

Some of you that maybe don't follow the DIY thread but who may have seen the start of that Korina build may be wondering what happened...

Well Photoknobs killed that old thread so I thought id update the situation with a new one..

It did get finished... Last week actually... Been having a hard time of things the last 6 months or so... So it took way longer than normal as I haven't had much time to work... (helping my parents out, and I will leave it there)...

So heres the final guitar.

BknIQtp.jpg

HDw3ZDU.jpg

Aclzmsc.jpg

Got some real nice action in the setup

IZ1PfNs.jpg

Only had time for a VERY quick and rough demo (just through a crappy practice amp)... Cos its already gone to a new home :D

And now im working on its brother.. A walnut version

YZvoTcI.jpg

and this is the rough idea behind the design

E19CwnT.jpg

Stunning! Both of them; 'Finished' and 'Work in Progress'.

msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Thank you kind sir [thumbup]

I really want to get this new one finished asap.. In October (26th or something) theres a music show at the Excel called Amplify being run by the BBC and I have a stand and I want this to show.. If it comes out like the Korina one I don't expect to be coming home with it :)

Assuming I go.... My schedule at the moment and for the next few months at least is not in my own hands.

Watching your woodworking skills in action has been amazing, Rabs! [thumbup] And the woods you are using are absolutely stunning.

Have to say if it were me, I'd want less of a "deck" on it - a smoother transition, maybe? Related question... On the completed build how did you handle the difference in pot shaft between the two sets of pots? One set is up on the "deck" and one set is not. Did you use two long shaft and two short shaft pots? Or did you have to do something else?

Watching your woodworking skills in action has been amazing, Rabs! [thumbup] And the woods you are using are absolutely stunning.

Have to say if it were me, I'd want less of a "deck" on it - a smoother transition, maybe? Related question... On the completed build how did you handle the difference in pot shaft between the two sets of pots? One set is up on the "deck" and one set is not. Did you use two long shaft and two short shaft pots? Or did you have to do something else?

Thank you :D

And yes its not final yet.. I will smooth that step out.. More like this on the Korina one..

Kr1q02C.jpg

And actually I used 4 long shaft pots with nuts under the top to position the height :)

Wow the Korina really came out wonderful. The wood grain on that one and the way the stain brought out the black, just fabulous. Not surprised it sold already. Great job. [thumbup]

Cheers.. :)

And yes I even have a picture of it in its new home.. And it keeps very good company :) (that's a 63 Strat)

YhBXp3k.jpg

Good job mate ...but for mine the maple/oak Hammer has not yet been surpassed and it will be mine if I retire to Scotland one day and its not yet sold!

Ahh yes... That's still about, and you have good taste.. I like that one too.. The oak neck is one of the most stable and playable I have ever made. One comment I had when someone once played this guitar was they said that they felt like they were playing a log, but in a good way cos you can feel the wood... Not everyone like them so basic though.

V3Tdxn2.jpg

Wow. You have some serious talent sir! That walnut version is going to be a stunner too.

Thank you both.. :) This forum has a lot to do with my work.. If it wernt for this forum I doubt id have ever started this [thumbup] (which is why I still share some of this on here)

And yeah that walnut should turn out real nice.. Theres a guy on another forum who has made a guitar with a body that's from the same batch of walnut I am using.. This is what it looks like with some finish

dv6rxmE.jpg

Love your work Rabs, the korina is gorgeous. Well done..

Cheers... And you know that batch of wood that the body and neck came from is now gone.. I don't even know if more will ever come up that looks like that, let alone the grain orientation.. Its a proper unique guitar that... And im saying that from a players view rather than a builder. But then that's whats so great about working with wood.. Every piece is unique [thumbup]

Your work is amazing, Rabs. Beautiful guitars. How long does it take you to build one of those, start to finish? Do you just do it in your spare time or a few hours a day?

Thank you :)

And well that's a bit of an issue at the moment.. My father is very sick which has been going on since last November so I haven't had much time this year and have only done the one which as you say ive fitted in a few hours a day when I could. BUT in theory if I were to do full days I think I could get one done in a few weeks, depends on the exact specs that are wanted and the complexity of the design.. But I would probably give it a month. Also a lot of the work comes in doing setups and making jigs.. I could also do two at once if I wanted and do the same jobs at the same time (if you see what I mean).

Ive got a show coming up at the beginning of October and I really want to get this new build done by then if I can.. So you will see...

I constantly check your facebook posts for pic updates. That korina truly is stunning, the buyer must be very happy with it. I like that guitar you descibed as a "log" also. Its very similar in design to the les paul dc style guitar i made with tele bridge. I find that shape very comfortable to play

Wow! Gorgeous old world craftsmanship!

Thank you.. I like that expression [thumbup]

And indeed, my guitars arnt posh or super shiny.. But I like them that way.. Kind of rustic :) They are made from wood I think they should look and feel like wood (well as much as one can but still make it smooth).

Archived