Gibson Brands Forums

Holger Czukay Found Dead Aged 79

capmaster

Quite a guy.

For those who don't know (this is from the obit in Cap's link) -

'Czukay co-founded Can in 1968 alongside keyboardist Irmin Schmidt, drummer Jaki Liebezeit and guitarist Michael Karoli. Prior to forming the group, he studied under German avant-garde composer Karlheinz Stockhausen and worked briefly as a music teacher. While Czukay initially had little interest in rock & roll, he was piqued by the Beatles' "I Am the Walrus," which led him to interest in the Velvet Underground, Frank Zappa and Jimi Hendrix, among others.

In Can, Czukay helped marry these ostensibly disparate influences into a singular style. Can relied heavily on improvisational songwriting (a method described as "instant composition") and blended elements of jazz, rock, psychedelia and the avant-garde that would influence a generation of artists in New Wave, techno, trance and more. As the band's bassist, Czukay worked closely with Liebezeit – famous for his motorik drumming style – to form the steady, propulsive grooves that bubbled at the center of Can's music.'

I still have a flyer advertising Can playing 2 sets at the Guildford Civic Hall, tickets £1.00. Early 70s.

And I had the pleasure of sitting right next to him at a Weather Report concert in Hammersmith Odeon in the mid-70s, when Jaco was in the band. Big guy, sheepskin coat, beautiful woman with him. I cannot remember much about it (though we may have smoked!) except some people came up to him at the end. I knew who he was but it was his night off - and Pastorius was full-on, too.

R.I.P.

Archived