Gibson Brands Forums

Florida and Irma

fortyearspickn

Having lived in South Florida for close to 10 years, from Key West to Ft. Lauderdale, and knowing how the population has increased since then, I can't imagine the terrible stress for everyone there, especially families with small children. All we can do now is pray they will be safe. I know we have some forum members there.

Yes. . . Hopefully Nick (J45Nick) is doing some smooth sailing up in New England, and his place is in good hands. JannusGuy retired his cool glass guitar table and now must protect windows, etc. Long-time forumite ('08) Ponty is lucky this time in Bermuda with trouble to his southwest. Best wishes to all.

Back with a bit of an update, check out this video of Irma from 10:30 this morning

https://www.westernjournalism.com/hurricane-irma-devastates-island-barbuda-practically-uninhabitable/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=conservative-brief&utm_campaign=dailypm&utm_content=western-journal

Sustained winds of 185 MPH, not wind gusts, but sustained (STEADY) winds!

I'm in the Tampa Bay area. Glad all my guitars are all insured with Heritage. I will take my custom built Martin 00018 with me when I evacuate. I'm hoping the rest will still be here, along with my condo, when I return. I've been here since 1972. This storm is the worst threat I've ever seen in all those years. Keep a good thought for us down here. Over and out.

I'm in the Tampa Bay area. Glad all my guitars are all insured with Heritage. I will take my custom built Martin 00018 with me when I evacuate. I'm hoping the rest will still be here, along with my condo, when I return. I've been here since 1972. This storm is the worst threat I've ever seen in all those years. Keep a good thought for us down here. Over and out.

Just showed a live clip on Fox of Tampa traffic heading north on I-75. Bumper to bumper going about 5 mph.

It's very scary, they are now saying that *everyone* in Florida should be prepared to evacuate if needed since they still don't know exactly where the worst impact will be. And nobody is really even talking about Jose. It seems to be turning now but previously looked like it could threaten the Northeast US. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?cone#contents

Stay safe everyone, I hope it isn't really as bad as some of the predictions suggest.

we have family down there, so we're watching closely for news.

my sister inlaw said the interstates are jammed, she's in Palm Bay,, half way down, east coast.

they're riding it out as are the others on the west coast, a little further north.

the track appears to go straight thru the middle of the state.. Saw some footage from Puerto Rico, looks like one insane storm.

Tomorrow between 9am and 3pm will be the determining window. A turn is predicted in that period. Which ever way it goes, someone's getting hammered. It will not be pretty. I'm on the 4th floor of a highrise on Tampa Bay. We could get flooded but as high up as I am I'm more concerned my windows will blow out (or in) and water will get in that way. So, you see my prep in the attached pic. If the floor floods the guitars should remain dry. If this turns out to be folly, well, they're all insured. Hope to see you all on the other side. Rob

IMG_0916_zpsc6ctuetp.jpeg

The calm before the storm:

10547784_10152643192811926_6025256468699798929_o_zpso3gbz2sx.jpg

Yes, our thoughts are with you.

So if you had to evacuate right now, where do you actually go? Friends, relatives, motel? I mean, where do 20 million people go?

BluesKing777.

We're all going over to my girlfriend's house! Well, that's where I'm going. And if that idea shxts the bed then to a shelter. This storm will be in and out in about 12 hours or less and is expected to weaken to a Cat 2 (from a Cat 5) as it gets to us. Gonna take the positives where I can find them.

Well, Irma has made up her mind and seems to have Tampa on the West Coast in her sights.

Yes, she has. But I remember Charley in 2004 who was set to be a direct hit on us and he veered off and went across the state 6 hours before impact. People had evacuated Tampa to Orlando and wound up directly in the path. A lot can happen in 24 hrs with these beasts. Still scary as shxt. Tomorrow night will be the test.

We are all glued to the weather channel. Our thoughts and prayers are with you folks in harms way. If you get a chance send a little of the rain up to Montana. We can use a bit to help with our fires. Please let's not forget the fine folks in Texas. Yikes what a summer.

I will play a bit under the apple tree 'cuz everyone knows that smoked guitars play much better. This summer gives a whole new meaning to smokin' hot music.

We are all glued to the weather channel. Our thoughts and prayers are with you folks in harms way. If you get a chance send a little of the rain up to Montana. We can use a bit to help with our fires. Please let's not forget the fine folks in Texas. Yikes what a summer.

I will play a bit under the apple tree 'cuz everyone knows that smoked guitars play much better. This summer gives a whole new meaning to smokin' hot music.

If I could re-direct Irma to assist with your fires it would be done. Thanks for the kind words. 5 or 6 more hours and I'm out of here.

The north Oregon coast has been good to us this year, but I have a lot of family in & around Orlando, so we are quite connected to the area. Have also visited almost every corner of the state & met so many good people.

Hoping everyone has the best possible outcome.

Tomorrow between 9am and 3pm will be the determining window. A turn is predicted in that period. Which ever way it goes, someone's getting hammered. It will not be pretty. I'm on the 4th floor of a highrise on Tampa Bay. We could get flooded but as high up as I am I'm more concerned my windows will blow out (or in) and water will get in that way. So, you see my prep in the attached pic. If the floor floods the guitars should remain dry. If this turns out to be folly, well, they're all insured. Hope to see you all on the other side. Rob

IMG_0916_zpsc6ctuetp.jpeg

Hope you are doing okay. Looks like it's heading to Tampa. BTW, I have that same sculpted leather case. Does it also have a "cowhide" lining?

Archived