Gibson Brands Forums

J200 Pickguard still sucks

Deadgrateful

Ok, so my almost brand new j200 TV is already loosing significant amounts of paint from the guard. If you touch it it smears...

I know that reasonable wear is expected (and adds to the character of the guitar) but, it's barely even been broken in and just looks silly.

I thought Gibson was supposed to have sorted this problem by now...

Why!?!?!? does this subject keep cropping up. I thought Mother Gibson had this one whupped. New Old stock maybe? It's been a year, if my recollector is working, since we've heard of "the disappearing pg graphics issue".

I have a 2007 SJ-200 Koa. It has the new and improved pickguard with

the flowers embedded in the plastic. I played an SJ-200 TV a few weeks ago

and it had the old style pickguard. I asked the salesman and he said the

TV models try to replicate the early models.....meaning they have the old

pickguards that will rub off.

Yes indeed the new SJ200 'guards are brilliant-the design is sealed in under a clear plastic layer, just like the guards on the Hummingbird Modern Classic. I may have got lucky on it because of my band's Gibson endorsement deal, but Gibson replaced the 'guard on my '03 free of charge. It looks stunning now, and I no longer have fading flower fear!!

Does anyone know if the new Doves have a sealed-in 'guard or not?

Call Montana they will send a replacement . At least that'swhat they did for me.I was told they will replace 1 pickguard .

Ooh! Ooh!

Can I have the old one? I need it for a switch plate for my guit tar room!

I bought a J200EC without a pickguard. I'm not sure why the guitar came without a pickguard but I bought it because it played and sounded great. However before I paid for the guitar, I indicated to the store that I wanted the pickguard to be put on the guitar. Before the pickguard arrived I paid for the guitar and took it home.

I then requested via email for Gibson to provide me with the proper pickguard. They requested the serial number of my guitar and then sent me a brand new pickguard. I actually ended up with two pick guards as Gibson also sent one to the store that I bought the guitar from. I obtained both pickguards at no cost to me.

'All's well that ends well' Nice pickguards!!

Also the guitar looks much better with the pickguard on it.

Ooh! Ooh!

Can I have the old one? I need it for a switch plate for my guit tar room!

It's still on the guitar! I'm using the new one as a book marker, in my "Gibson's Fabulous Flat Top Guitars"

book!!

I've had the same problem with my J-200 Limited Edition VOS (purchased 10/08). Didn't know this was a common problem. I had a '93 J-200, played nearly daily that was embossed and painted, but held up well with only minor wear. Within a week or two, the Limited Edition looked a lot more worn than my well played '93. Don't know whether I'd swap it out, because due to my playing style I get wear in only a small area. But still, on a guitar that was nearly $5k? Authenticity is appreciated to a point, but this is a little disappointing. Is it difficult to remove an old guard?

I bought a new custom shop Hummingbird 12-string about two weeks ago, and it has the new style pickguard with the imbedded design. I really like it, and it looks like it'll hold up well. (I haven't bought a new guitar in many years, so this is kind of out of the ordinary for me--two nice Gibsons within a few months. Funny thing is that I wasn't in the market, but just happened upon two that I couldn't live without...!)

Archived