Gibson Brands Forums

What amp would you choose?

bjs

I have recently joined this forum after finding some of the topics very helpful. I own a LP Standard and have recently sold a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe after a very short time as i unfortunately found myself not liking the sound of it with my les paul! I have in the region of £1,200 (around $1,500 to people from the states) to spend on a tube amp or a half stack and im very stuck on what to buy, i am looking for a amp/half stack with good overdrive with quite alot of sustain but leaning alot more towards classic rock/blues than metal or heavy genres like that. The clean doesn't have to be crystal clean, although i obviously don't want it to be rubbish. Any suggestions? Thanks =D>

they are pretty good' date=' however, alot are really tight on you trying out there stuff, even when it's pretty cheap, but especially when it's expensive, thats why i have this problem kind of. :D [/quote']

It's been my experience that if you're carrying around a Les Paul pretty much any music store will let you try whatever you want on the assumption that you've got the money to buy. It's just bad business to not let you test play their merchandise. At least, that's how it seems at the stores 'round here. So yeah, take your LP in next time and say "Hey, I'm in the market for an amp, do you think I could try out your gear?" Should be perfect.

Also, what exactly didn't you like about the Hot Rod Deluxe? I've been playing it for about 6 weeks and I'm in love with it, and I play a lot of blues and blues influenced rock. As for other amp options, the Fender Supersonic is right in your price range, so I would recommend that. It's bigger than the Hot Rod (60w instead of 40w), but that seems to be the size of amp you want anyway (I can only assume you want something loud if you want a half-stack). So go ahead and try that one out if you want to give Fender a shot again.

Vagabond, thanks for the reply, i will go ahead and try taking it in. As for the hot rod, i like it, i just wasn't very keen on the overdrive, i didn't feel it had the amount of sustain i wanted although it is good, as is the clean tones you can get from it. Funny you should mention the Supersonic, thats one i've had in the back of my mind as an option.

Marshall or Vox is where I'd start. I LOVE both.

I also have a Fender Blues Deluxe but since you said you didn't like your Hot Rod I won't discuss it.

I have a Vox AC15. It sounds fantastic but it's a little on the quite side.

I'm not sure what they go for in the UK but have a look at a Vox AC30. Also try one with the Celestion Blue speakers.

I have recently joined this forum after finding some of the topics very helpful. I own a LP Standard and have recently sold a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe after a very short time as i unfortunately found myself not liking the sound of it with my les paul! I have in the region of £1' date='200 (around $1,500 to people from the states) to spend on a tube amp or a half stack and im very stuck on what to buy, i am looking for a amp/half stack with good overdrive with quite alot of sustain but leaning alot more towards classic rock/blues than metal or heavy genres like that. The clean doesn't have to be crystal clean, although i obviously don't want it to be rubbish. Any suggestions? Thanks :-s[/quote']

Since you're in 'Ol Blighty (and in the sphere of Greeny, Page, Clapton & Kossoff influence) there's no alternative to the Les Paul / Marshall combination. Try a JTM45 w/2x12 or 4x12 cab, or just go for the Slowhand special, Marshall Bluesbreaker. Match up with a good attenuator if volume is an issue. The Bluesbreaker may be the best combo out there. Another alternative at lower output is the 18 watter, better known as the 1974x. None of these amps have effects loops, built in reverb, but on 11 who needs that stuff anyway?

What type of venue are you playing in? Stadium? Club? Bedroom? I ask because one mistake most people make is buying an amp that is way too powerful for the intended use (you don't want to be one of those guys on youtube playing a half stack on volume 1 or 2 in their bedrooms - really, you don't want to be that guy).

I would suggest reading the information on this link (goes into more detail about what I mentioned above w/out me having to make this post ridiculously long):

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Gibson%20Tone%20Tips%20Match%20th/

As for a recommendation, I think you should be looking at any number of Marshall amps (combo's/heads). I personally play a Marshall Vintage Modern combo as well as a Marshall 1974x - both are outstanding. For what you stated are your "amp goals", I don't see how you could possibly do any better than a Marshall. I'd also recommend Marshall over Vox for another reason: if you are spending that much cash, wouldn't you prefer that the amp be made in England, rather than with slave labor in China? Just food for thought...

Anyway, Les Paul + Marshall = :-

Yea i feel you on the HR deluxe. something about those pc board tube amps just doesnt sit well with me either for playing LPz. However I love my HR deville w/ my tele. but really dont like it at all with the paul. If I had that money though I would be putting it towards a Dr. Z, Badcat or possibly even an Orange. Mostly these examples are a lil higher than your budget but CAN be found used at and around $1500.00 (depending on how much power you are looking for) (I play in smallish bars and clubs)

What type of venue are you playing in? Stadium? Club? Bedroom? I ask because one mistake most people make is buying an amp that is way too powerful for the intended use

+1

I think most of us here are guilty of overkill.

As for my recommendation....I sound like a broken record but...

PBFORAN.jpg

Who are your influences? What do they use? Whatever - still got to be a Marshall:d/

How much power do you want?

I'm currently waiting on a JVM205c combo (50W 2x12). received rave reviews. Has really neat channel switching giving six sounds (all analogue valve driven) through a clever footswitch. Had a Vox AC30 but the sound never seemed right. Also, as someone else said, it is soooo refreshing to buy something these days actually made in england!

Hi Ren

I second that!

My Electric Guitar practice amp is a Laney (British), my two main Classicals are made by English luthiers and of course my Marshall cab keeps the music room comfortably British!

My favourite electric guitars though are Japanese built and American.

Matt

Archived