Gibson Brands Forums

Why dump on Les Paul Studios??

scottierocker

Another myth about Studios that some people believe is that the maple cap is much thinner than on a Standard.

Well' date=' at leat in the case of my Studio Plus, that's not true. I don't think it's true of any Gibson LP Studios. Maybe Epi?

[img']http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/jbow00/StringChange011.jpg[/img]

The cap is thicker on the EPI, because it's actually two peices of wood: Alder top/Maple veneer. Plus, the tops aren't sanded flat in the center (as seen on a Gibson LP), due to the odds of sanding right through the veneer.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not that your asking price is unreasonable because you've put some money into modifications' date=' it's because you made modifications at all and pickups are one of the mods that will often make people shy away because they can dramatically change the sound of the guitar.

If I were you and if you still have the original pickups, I'd try putting the guitar up for sale again and advertise that the original pickups will be included with the sale of the guitar. [/quote']

Couldn't agree more. Most people will have no real idea about the sound produced by your guitar in it's present state.

Here's the problem... It's not that your asking price is unreasonable because you've put some money into modifications' date=' it's because you made modifications at all and pickups are one of the mods that will often make people shy away because they can dramatically change the sound of the guitar.

To *you* the guitar is worth more because you put in pickups that you like better but someone else may or may not like those active Duncans. If you're trying to sell it on Craig's List or Ebay, potential buyers have no way of knowing if they'd like the pickups or not without being able to try out your guitar first compared to a stock Studio that they can try out in a music store or by playing a friend's guitar. For all they know, they might be buying a guitar with pickups they hate and end up having to dump another $150 or more into a guitar they just paid a premium for because it has different pickups.

That's how it always ends up working out with any guitar that has been modified (Gibsons, Fenders, etc.). Yes, most Gibsons hold their value but only if they're collectible to begin with and unmodified (or at least if only minor mods have been performed). Studios are very nice guitars but Gibson makes and sells tons of them so they're not rare or collectible aside from limited runs they do with different finishes or gold hardware or whatever.

If I were you and if you still have the original pickups, I'd try putting the guitar up for sale again and advertise that the original pickups will be included with the sale of the guitar. Or, if you're handy with a soldering iron, put the original pickups back in and either sell the Duncans separately or keep them yourself for some other guitar. If you don't still have the original pups, you're probably going to have to adjust what you expect to get for the guitar or wait until the economy picks up a bit.

[/quote']

+1 I think the key issues are the mods you've done, the economy, & where you're promoting it for sale. The mods issue can be minimized if you follow RichCI's advice. The economy - I've noticed that guitars on Craigslist are starting with a price that's often $300 - $400 lower than 4 or 5 months ago. It's because that everyone who is hardup for money is selling their valuables. If the supply in a market goes up, usually the price goes down. Lastly, if you are selling the guitar on ebay, the amount of positive feedback you have has a tremendous impact on what people are willing to pay for an ANY item. The more cash, the bigger the impact.

For instance; when looking at 2 equal guitars, one by a seller with 1050 feedbacks at 99.9% positive, the other one by a seller with 25 feedbacks at 100% positive, the buyer will be willing to pay more money for the guitar in the first example. I see it all the time on ebay. I saw a red LP Custom with a little tarnish on the pickups go for $1,700. Was it a bad guitar? Probably not, but the seller had about 35 transactions at 100% positive feedback. All the similar Customs were selling for $2,200 to $2,500.

If it's a great axe and you have few transactions under your belt on ebay, you might want to either sell it on consignment at a music store, or on Craigslist, or at another type of market. Just my 2 cents.

SilverLesterStd

+1 I think the key issues are the mods you've done' date=' the economy, & where you're promoting it for sale. The mods issue can be minimized if you follow RichCI's advice. The economy - I've noticed that guitars on Craigslist are starting with a price that's often $300 - $400 lower than 4 or 5 months ago. It's because that everyone who is hardup for money is selling their valuables. If the supply in a market goes up, usually the price goes down. Lastly, if you are selling the guitar on ebay, the amount of positive feedback you have has a tremendous impact on what people are willing to pay for an ANY item. The more cash, the bigger the impact.

For instance; when looking at 2 equal guitars, one by a seller with 1050 feedbacks at 99.9% positive, the other one by a seller with 25 feedbacks at 100% positive, the buyer will be willing to pay more money for the guitar in the first example. I see it all the time on ebay. I saw a red LP Custom with a little tarnish on the pickups go for $1,700. Was it a bad guitar? Probably not, but the seller had about 35 transactions at 100% positive feedback. All the similar Customs were selling for $2,200 to $2,500.

If it's a great axe and you have few transactions under your belt on ebay, you might want to either sell it on consignment at a music store, or on Craigslist, or at another type of market. Just my 2 cents.

SilverLesterStd[/quote'] Or just sell it with a reserve. BUT tell people what your reserve is in the desrcription. People shy away from mystery reserves.

I have been here a few months now and the general feeling here is not what you posted. Some of the more senior players are huge Studio supporters. There is one for sure and a few maybes that do not care for Studio's. I have had a few in my short 46 years' date=' I have also had the higher end Gibson's. The studio was designed for one thing, a no frills looking but great studio guitar.

See how at home this Studio looks.

[img']http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/41/l_2c4f63ffc1d44a09adbc46387123f662.jpg[/img]

The Studio's the one in the middle, right? <g>

Cat Daddy

The Studio's the one in the middle' date=' right? <g>

Cat Daddy[/quote']

Are you blind, Cat Daddy?!?!

That one has body binding and from all the answers to date you should have been able to spot that it is the only one which isn't a Studio.

Pshaw!!!!

its because studios dont have all that flashy crap. i love them because they are complete workhorses in my opinion function over form (of course im a bluesman so i dont believe in a huge show with flashy lights and everything). also just because you have a studio doesnt mean its ugly i have a worn brown mohaganny lp . it was a first run so its been around the block more than others but alot of my friends say its the most beautiful guitar they have ever seen because it doesnt look all flashy, it just is if you know what i mean.

Are you blind' date=' Cat Daddy?!?!

That one has [i']body binding[/i] and from all the answers to date you should have been able to spot that it is the only one which isn't a Studio.

Pshaw!!!!

I think guitars #2 and #4 aren't studios either... they have maple fretboards, and I dont recall studios being made with maple fretboards, let alone shark tooth inlays. They are either 80s gibson rare stuff, or fakes.

Another givaway was the black hardware, everyone knows studios come in chrome and gold only...

Guitar #5 is a special ed GC studio with a flame maple top. I wanted one of those but they were soldout.

Why dump on Les Paul Studios?[-o<

Because we can.

While driving to work this morning, for a while I was behind someone in a Range Rover with a vanity licence plate - BTRTHNU...](*,)'

I'll bet they get finger often, and don't park it in a public parking lot.

Andrew

Yeah......... I don't know......... I just don't get very exited about LP Studios because of their stripped down look with no binding.

But I know they're sweet guitars. I came across this one and I got it for $650 with hardshell case. And it's a MONSTER!! I hope to never' date=' ever part with it:

[img']http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q126/davecooper36/Gibson%20Les%20Pauls%208-11-08/DSC03630.jpg[/img]

Wow.I don't have any idea why,but that studio looks awsome.Looks much nicer than mine.Must be the color or something

Don't let it bother you if someone disses your studio.Who cares if they like it or not.Your always gonna find messages with the mentality that "my guitar is better than yours".Just way it is on forums.Probably just a way to make themselves feel little better that they spent so much cash on a guitar .They want to feel they paid so much more for a reason and try to convince you of it as well.

I think guitars #2 and #4 aren't studios either... they have maple fretboards' date=' and I dont recall studios being made with maple fretboards, let alone shark tooth inlays. They are either 80s gibson rare stuff, or fakes.

Another givaway was the black hardware, everyone knows studios come in chrome and gold only...

Guitar #5 is a special ed GC studio with a flame maple top. I wanted one of those but they were soldout.[/quote']

TG; I've just twigged! Cat Daddy is obviously giving those Suprome Chinese ****ers false info!!!

People have been offering $500' date=' which may be fair in some markets (considering I've already sold the case, and it has just a few scratches), but I have upgraded the pickups to active Duncans, and it plays so well that I feel like $725 is a fair number.[/quote']

Two problems as I see it:

1) You sold the case. If I buy I Paul, I expect the factory case. The case is worth $125 by itself.

2) You changed pickups. I won't buy a Paul without the original pickups unless I get it cheap enough to replace the Pups with an original set.

So I would deduct $300 to cover the cost of a Gibson Case and Gibson Pups.

If you're looking for $750, then $500 may not be a bad offer..

Studios are actually better in some respects as they have longer frets and no binding to get hung up on.

I just got my first gibson last christmas and its a vintage mahogany studio. I like the color a lot.I looked around guitar center for a while, but the only other guitar I liked was the faded explorer because of the feel of the neck. They are fine guitars, but they don't have the looks of the high end models Gibson is know for.

Two problems as I see it:

1) You sold the case. If I buy I Paul' date=' I expect the factory case. The case is worth $125 by itself.

2) You changed pickups. I won't buy a Paul without the original pickups unless I get it cheap enough to replace the Pups with an original set.

So I would deduct $300 to cover the cost of a Gibson Case and Gibson Pups.

If you're looking for $750, then $500 may not be a bad offer..

Studios are actually better in some respects as they have longer frets and no binding to get hung up on.

[/quote']

Except I'd sell it for $850 if it had the case, and I'm not coming off ANY money for the pups. The Duncans are an upgrade.

I don't care who thinks what, I'll play the guitar for you and prove it.

Except I'd sell it for $850 if it had the case' date=' and I'm not coming off ANY money for the pups. The Duncans are an upgrade.

I don't care who thinks what, I'll play the guitar for you and prove it.[/quote']

Fair enough but if that's your attitude you'll be lucky to sell it. When I buy second hand guitars I consider nearly all 'upgrades' as downgrades and always ask if the original bits 'n' pieces are available. It's the way the second hand guitar market works, as quite a few people have already pointed out.

The fact that you prefer the Duncans is your personal preference. Most potential buyers won't care that you consider them an improvement or that you've spent the extra money on them. Personally, I'm not keen on Duncans at all.

When doing your own 'upgrades' it's wise to keep the original bits for this reason.

Fair enough but if that's your attitude you'll be lucky to sell it.

Then I'll keep it.

The post was about the lack of respect for an instrument that is sonically equal to a Les Paul Standard, being seen as a lesser instrument.

It ain't.

You say that in your perspective, nearly all upgrades are considered downgrades?! Maybe on a 9.5/10 Standard or better, or a Custom, but this is a Studio. This guitar is being PLAYED in a band.

Louder pickups, locking bridge, Graphtec saddles, locking tuners....all of these things IMPROVE the quality of a "player's guitar".

To say otherwise is ludicrous. I could drop this guitar off a four-foot stage and it would stay in tune. I guess if you polish your Les Paul every night, and don't play in a band then these things apply, but I seriously doubt I'm the only one who plays them in a band and get's down with 'em.

Then I'll keep it.

The post was about the lack of respect for an instrument that is sonically equal to a Les Paul Standard, being seen as a lesser instrument.

It ain't.

i have to disagree with you. i can tell a clear difference between the sound of a studio and a standard. dont get me wrong a studio is an awesome guitar, especially for the price, but the sound of a standard stands out more to me.

Then I'll keep it.

The post was about the lack of respect for an instrument that is sonically equal to a Les Paul Standard' date=' being seen as a lesser instrument.

It ain't.

You say that in your perspective, nearly all upgrades are considered downgrades?! Maybe on a 9.5/10 Standard or better, or a Custom, but this is a Studio. This guitar is being PLAYED in a band.

Louder pickups, locking bridge, Graphtec saddles, locking tuners....all of these things IMPROVE the quality of a "player's guitar".

To say otherwise is ludicrous. I could drop this guitar off a four-foot stage and it would stay in tune. I guess if you polish your Les Paul every night, and don't play in a band then these things apply, but I seriously doubt I'm the only one who plays them in a band and get's down with 'em.[/quote']

I think you came to the only logical conclusion - keeping the axe. It sounds like you respect the sound of this studio alot. I think you should keep it if there's any possible way. You finally have it like you want it, so don't let that scottierocker Custom get away.

If a person customizes the inside of a house with bright red wallpaper that they like, and then try to sell it, they are going to take a hit on the selling price. Yes, the seller likes the red paper, yes, they spent alot of money on it, but the house will not sell for what it would with a neutral paint job, even though that paint job cost less money.

I have to disagree with you. i can tell a clear difference between the sound of a studio and a standard. dont get me wrong a studio is an awesome guitar' date=' especially for the price, but the sound of a standard stands out more to me.[/quote']

I don't see how (trust me, I'm not rying to be difficult), but that statement isn't backed up by science my-man.

The guitars are built the same, jointed the same, made of the same materials, have identical dimensions in regards to scale length, and nearly identical weight (only difference being the weight +/- the binding)....

I fail to see how an unbiased listener could hear the two (without knowing which is which), and tell the difference.

If a person customizes the inside of a house with bright red wallpaper that they like' date=' and then try to sell it, they are going to take a hit on the selling price. Yes, the seller likes the red paper, yes, they spent alot of money on it, but the house will not sell for what it would with a neutral paint job, even though that paint job cost less money.[/quote']

I'd hardly liken the addition of active Duncans to "bright red paint". Maybe to some hard-core old timers, but i guess to each his own.

Your other point was well received though.

I would buy a Studio over any Epiphone Les Paul. I've compared them extensively, determined to prove Epiphones were just as good. In the end, nothing came close to a Les Paul Standard - not until the Traditionals came out.

LP Studios are good but I think their price point is too high. Why buy a new LP Studio for $1200 when you can get on Ebay and get a mint LP Standard for $1500? I think that's the reason they get a bad rep.

I put Studios kind of in the same camp as Les Paul Classics. They weigh about the same, the only difference is the pickups and biding and a couple of other nuances. I don't get along with either of them because they're just too light. They just don't sound right, they're also not as bright sounding as standards and traditionals in my opinion.

Still, I'm glad Gibson makes them. It's nice to have that option when you don't have the $$$ for a standard.

Archived