Gibson Brands Forums

Why dump on Les Paul Studios??

scottierocker

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first LP was a Studio (White) with Ebony fretboard and gold pickups. It sounded great in the studio and in live settings! It was indeed a LP but just no frils! I only got rid of it to get a LP Classic with the 60's slim neck profile. I was pleased with it but b/c of the playability of the LP Classic, I decided to upgrade. The LP Studios are nice and will certainly give you that LP sound. The only problem I had with it was that my high E would occassionally go flat. I was generally well pleased with the instrument. :-)

Yeah......... I don't know......... I just don't get very exited about LP Studios because of their stripped down look with no binding.

But I know they're sweet guitars. I came across this one and I got it for $650 with hardshell case. And it's a MONSTER!! I hope to never' date=' ever part with it:

[img']http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q126/davecooper36/Gibson%20Les%20Pauls%208-11-08/DSC03630.jpg[/img]

I'm so in love with this beauty!!

This guy compares the standard to the studio. To my ears the standard sounds better. The studio does sound great but the standard still sounds better.

Just be aware that the Standard he uses is chambered, while the (older?) Studio isn't. Different pickups too, of course. Comparing apples and meatballs here...

DJ

--

Here's the thing. I have been trying to unload this guitar for a month now' date=' so I can get an SG Standard. People have been offering $500, which may be fair in some markets (considering I've already sold the case, and it has just a few scratches), but I have upgraded the pickups to active Duncans, and it plays so well that I feel like $725 is a fair number.

Someone tell me if I'm out of line?[/quote']

People are voting with their checkbooks -- apparently they don't agree with your assessment of the value of the guitar.

As mentioned above, exchanging original items on these guitars for aftermarket substitutes really isn't considered an upgrade -- it's more of a "side-grade" and in some cases can even diminish the value of the instrument unless the originals are included in the case somewhere. Particularly where pickups are concerned, any change to the tone is all "opinion" as to whether it's a plus or a minus, NO MATTER HOW EXPENSIVE THEY WERE. You may think the new ones sound far and away better than the old ones, but someone else may think they sound like crap, and they may be calculating to themselves how much it will cost them to buy the originals and put them back.

I have an '81 ibanez Artist AR-300. The guy I bought it from "upgraded" the knobs to Gibson-like speed knobs because he thought the originals looked too much like skateboard wheels. In doing so, he devalued the guitar by about $200, because the originals sell for around $45 *each* on eBay and are extremely difficult to find.

Same goes for "it plays so well." I was handed a guitar by a guy who told me, "It plays like buttah!" and found that the action was too high, there was too much relief in the neck, there was a high fret ("I thought that buzzing was just 'cause I was really digging in") and the bridge saddles didn't follow the radius of the neck. What, in YOUR opinion constitutes great playability might be completely wrong for the style of another player.

This should probably be a warning to others who instantly "mod" their guitars and consider everything they do to be an upgrade. When it comes time to sell the guitar, what in YOUR opinion was a bright idea and an upgrade will often be considered a hack that needs to be corrected and a devaluation of the guitar.

i think its because people dont take into consideration the name. Its supposed to be used in the studio, a great sound without any cool features because it is supposed to be used in private. When people see it the dont like it because when they hear the name gibson they expect a les paul classic or a standard looking guitar. They dont accept that gibson can have stripped down les pauls.

-proud owner of my les paul studio made in 08

-epiphone ej200 natural finish

-yamaha c-70 acoustic classical guitar

i think its because people dont take into consideration the name. Its supposed to be used in the studio' date=' a great sound without any cool features because it is supposed to be used in private. When people see it the dont like it because when they hear the name gibson they expect a les paul classic or a standard looking guitar. They dont accept that gibson can have stripped down les pauls.

-proud owner of my les paul studio made in 08

-epiphone ej200 natural finish

-yamaha c-70 acoustic classical guitar[/quote']

:-

I don't think any of my guitars have all original parts, apart from my GOR...and I shall be taking great relish stripping the neck (and value LOL) soon because my fingers like it better.

I have only sold one guitar in my life, some 15 years ago and never again!

Matt

I played a studio a while ago. Then my mom got a job. (joking)

I would have bought it had it not have been for deal 'Ol Turbo Hawkins walking in with a used '61 SG reissue (still have it, thank peeters!).

I think the real question becomes STUDIO or BFG? They both are awesome, but as a raw power gibson I'd choose BFG for sure. plus there's less bruce purple and less lance wine red.

Yeah man, the studios are damn good guitars. (i dont have 1 because they have SGs, lol) but seriously though, if you like the feel of a les paul a studio is a great way to go if you dont want to lose your anal virginity to the owners of guitar center or wherever (or whomever) you buy your guitar from...

Is it sick for me to instantly relate anal rapage to getting metaphorically robbed?

I played a studio a while ago. Then my mom got a job. (joking)

I think the real question becomes STUDIO or BFG? They both are awesome' date=' but as a raw power gibson I'd choose BFG for sure. plus there's less bruce purple and less lance wine red.[/quote']

I agree, the BFGs were great sounding guitars. I thought they looked like crap, though. But it's less hurtful to modify (tremolo, switch tuners, etc.) But if you want a fairly traditional look and feel, I'd go for the Studio.

i have to disagree with you. i can tell a clear difference between the sound of a studio and a standard. dont get me wrong a studio is an awesome guitar' date=' especially for the price, but the sound of a standard stands out more to me.[/quote']

I genuinely don't want to start a bunfight here but, fairly recently, I played over a dozen VOS Standards ('58-'60) through the same set-up and, whilst about half sounded pretty much alike, there was a marked difference between all the rest.

These were, supposedly, the same guitar.

Perhaps you meant that you could tell A difference between one Studio and one Standard?

I have an 85 Studio- I believe the particular stuido was only made in 84 and 85. It has binding.

It is thinner and about half the weight of a standard LP. Its nothing like the later studios.

A friend of mine with a LP Custom wanted me to trade him across the board. I wouldve come out ahead from a value standpoint but

it felt so cumbersome and heavy. So.....I kept my baby to his dismay

Hi!

I'm new here, and I thought this thread was very interesting!

I decided I needed a Gibson Les Paul, so I tried as many as I could get my hands on. Two of them I even had at home for a week each. One was a studio, the other a standard. Now, that studio, wine-red with gold hardware, from '01, was absolutely the most perfect electric guitar I've ever tried! It taught me a new set of standards for trying out guitars, even! Every tone sounded the same, from top to bottom. When playing a scale, changing from the wound D-string to the G-string was inaudible. I never realised that some guitars can have an audible change of tone here, but they did, when I compared. The very top-D had a richness to it that I've never heard on any other guitar before, and tone-quality-wise it sounded exactly like any other note on any other string. The Standard I tried next had all sorts of problems, but still had a personality to it that made it heart-breaking to return it.

Anyway, in the end I got myself a black '92 Studio, which is close in quality to that wine-red one. Like other people here point out, except for the lack of binding, there is nothing 'budget' about this model. My '92, like the '01 wine-red, has a mahogany body with a maple top. Pups say "Gibson USA", don't know what model that's supposed to be. I find that the only Standards that feel similar are, of course, the ones with the '50s neck.

For me, no two Les Pauls were the same. Typical signs of being hand-made. There is nothing inferior with the Studio as a musical intsrument, absolutely nothing! Price-tag depends on how labour-intensive the finish is. Did you see in "factory-tour" how that worker, by hand, cuts the neck-binding to be a perfect fit?

Also, I agree about price going down if you try to sell a Gibson with another brand's pickups. I personally want mellow pickups, so 'hotter' ones is not what I would call an improvement. Had you installed hotter Gibson pickups, maybe it would have been a different matter? There is something about the Gibson brand, which it seems to share with Steinway: it's virtually a 'vintage' instrument as soon as it leaves the factory. You could probably smash it to pieces, and someone would still be interested in buying the pieces!:-k However, replace parts and people immediately get a chill!

Cheers! (And sorry for the long post!)

The ONLY grief I have with the Studios' date=' is they're too heavy, other than that I like them.[/quote']

Interesting to hear you say that as my Les Paul Studio is 11 and half pounds! Heavier than most Les Paul's of all varieties. Yet the last studio I tried in a shop was feather light.

Matt

The ONLY grief I have with the Studios' date=' is they're too heavy, other than that I like them.[/quote']

This is the problem I have with mine, an '02 black model. It's not the out-right weight that bothers me, but the balance. If I'm sitting with the guitar on my lap and take my hands off it it will fall off, making it a pain in the *** to play as my fretting hand has to balance the guitar and fret at the same time. I'm going to sell it and buy a newer studio with a chambered body, which hopefully will be perfectly balanced.

I have a question: what is the earliest year studio that is chambered?

I have 3 LP Studios and 2 Classics and a Standard, I have to say I play the studios more than any of my other LP's. They play just as nice probably better. I think the people who are always dumping on them are the guitar snobs. Most working musicians that I have met actually prefer the studios because you can bring them to the gig and not have to worry about them getting beer spilled on them, or some drunk a-hole slobbering on them or whatever... anyone who plays out knows all about this.

Like they say, the collector takes the guitar and inspects the finish under a magnifying glass, while the rocker takes the guitar and throws it across the room. I guess it just depends what your into, but I would never dump on a studio.

BTW If you want to see some really awesome LP studios check out the estore at www.bcguitars.com

• 3 weeks later...

Archived