Gibson Brands Forums

Buzz/Humm/Resonance from (new) ES 335 (including audio)

Tim B.

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to locate a annoying sound from my 2015 ES 335.

The noise only appears with playing certain notes, on different strings.

Here's a little sound clip, hope you can hear what i mean:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0luxw81FCcV

What i've done so far:

- check out bridge for loose saddle screws

- unscrewed the pickups (sound is still there when unscrewed)

- checked al the volume knobs, input etc.

- Moved some wires by hand inside (for as far as possible)

- Adjusted thruss rod a bit and back

Is someone familiar with this sound? I have no clue what it could be [confused]

(Sorry for my bad English...)

Greetings,

Tim

Can't hear what you are referring to. Sounds like you are playing with Vibrato on or a wah-wah pedal. We might be able to hear it if you just recorded a straight dry signal. [confused]

Actually, it is recorded acoustic. So no effects / amp on whatsoever. The "wha/vibrato" sound is the buzz/resonance i'm talking about. It appears if you play a note and move around the neck like normal when playing (not shake but just gently). If you try to play reaaaaly carefull and keep the neck real still it does not seem te appear (or a lot less).

Hello. Is that buzz coming from a particular string? I can suggest you to verify

if it happens at a given frequency (note). Sometimes a given frequency

creates a resonance somewhere. In that case, you should trace what vibrates

or moves when you play.

Actually, it is recorded acoustic. So no effects / amp on whatsoever. The "wha/vibrato" sound is the buzz/resonance i'm talking about. It appears if you play a note and move around the neck like normal when playing (not shake but just gently). If you try to play reaaaaly carefull and keep the neck real still it does not seem te appear (or a lot less).

Ok, wow, that is really strange - I thought you were playing through an amp. Let me ask this, do you hear it when you play through an amp? Does it get worse amplified, or does the amplified signal drown it out. Knowing that what you recorded was not amplified it almost sounds like a weird string buzz but can't say I've ever heard anything like that.

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to locate a annoying sound from my 2015 ES 335.

The noise only appears with playing certain notes, on different strings.

Here's a little sound clip, hope you can hear what i mean:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0luxw81FCcV

What i've done so far:

- check out bridge for loose saddle screws

- unscrewed the pickups (sound is still there when unscrewed)

- checked al the volume knobs, input etc.

- Moved some wires by hand inside (for as far as possible)

- Adjusted thruss rod a bit and back

Is someone familiar with this sound? I have no clue what it could be [confused]

(Sorry for my bad English...)

Greetings,

Tim

Hi Tim;

Did this just start?

I think you have string(s) rattling against frets some where that is being amplified with a weird resonance by the hollow body. Is it more in certain areas of the neck (up by the nut or down lower)? Could be neck relief (you mentioned adjusting truss rod a bit and back but doesn't sound like you really checked straightness, but perhaps you did), bridge too low, uneven frets.....

I'm willing to bet if you straighten the neck a pinch and raise the bridge a pinch this goes away.

Getting to be the time of year where I live in Canada that I'll be adjusting a few necks due to the temperature and humidity changes.

Hope that helps.

Johnny

Hi, thanks all for your replies!

Yes, i think it is coming from a certain frequency. Like fretting the G at the 5th position, but also on the D in higher position. And some notes played a half step up or down this frequency.

It it not hearable while playing through my amps. So what's the problem some might say [tongue]. But sometimes it's just nice to jam unplugged with a ES body guitar, in the evenings etc. [thumbup]

I have checked the strings for buzzing, but that's not it.

I have raised and lowered the bridge, but no difference at all. Strange thing is, if i tune down the strings a few steps (so far that you would not normally play it like this) the sound is gone! That got me thinking that it might be something with the neck (less tension when tuned down, and it's only hearable when moving the neck around with left hand while playing a vibrato), or the bridge..(read a lot about buzzing ABR bridges, retaining wire etc., but this 2015 ES does not seem to have this wire)...when it's something inside the body that resonates then it's going to be difficult to do something about it i guess.

I've never heard that but it might have to do with the pickguard, switch, pickups, pickup rings or something inside the body?? If it happens at a certain frequency then it's likely something other than the strings just vibrating against the frets.

Try removing the pickguard and see if that stops it. Try holding one finger against each pickup and pickup ring to see if that stops it. Try holding onto the switch and everything else that moves and see if that helps.

That's weird! Good luck.

Archived