Gibson Brands Forums

Which is better Gibson or Fender?

Gibson rocks

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow I get the feeling that more often than not, the person asking these "which is better" questions really want to ask this: "which guitar do you think will make me look cooler?"

Truth is man, every answer you've received, and every answer you will receive, is right - there are no wrong answers on a question like this. To insinuate that one is "better" than the other is just ignorance (and here's a little tip: most people who bash on Fender do so because they can't play clean or well enough to actually make the Strat/Tele sound good - yes, Gibson guitars are much easier to play and make sound good).

I will second what I believe is the best advice you've received thus far: play both and decide for yourself.

There is no such thing as a "Gibson camp" or a "Fender camp" unless you are stunted as a musician. Meaning, at some point chances are very good that you'll own both and use both for different purposes.

As for which one to get first? I'd go w/the one that inspires you to pick it up.

....Gibson guitars are much easier to play and make sound good.

Says who?

I don't think that's true at all.

Playing "dirty" does tend to mask error, but hell you can get a Fat Strat with a humbucker if that's the problem.

It's just what feels best to you, but I bash the Hell out of Fenders. Not because it's "more difficult" to play, I just don't care for them.

It's Mustang vs. Camaro to me. Not apples and oranges. Apples and oranges would be comparing Gibson Guitars to Baldwin pianos.

I own a Fender Strat. I've played it all of twice, and can't sell it for what it's worth because nobody will buy it. To me, it's useless.

Other than this statement, I will concede that your post was on-point.

I like Gibson better for sound feel & looks...but value wise' date=' I have to give it to Fender.

They produce a great guitar for $1,000.[/quote']

i used to feel this way too....but with the recent fender price increases that strength of that argument isn't quite as strong as it used to be (not saying it still is not valid but it certainly is more debatable).

Says who?

I don't think that's true at all.

Playing "dirty" does tend to mask error' date=' but hell you can get a Fat Strat with a humbucker if that's the problem.

It's just what feels best to you, but I bash the Hell out of Fenders. Not because it's "more difficult" to play, I just don't care for them.

It's Mustang vs. Camaro to me. Not apples and oranges. Apples and oranges would be comparing Gibson Guitars to Baldwin pianos.

I own a Fender Strat. I've played it all of twice, and can't sell it for what it's worth because nobody will buy it. To me, it's useless.

Other than this statement, I will concede that your post was on-point.[/quote']

Not caring for them is fine, but to say it's "useless" just means you're not getting out of it what you thought you would - which just reenforces my original point. You bought the guitar expecting it to sound a certain way, right? So whose fault is it that it doesn't sound that way?

I'd venture to say it's not the fault of the guitar.

*edit: throw everything I say out of the window if you just dislike the fender sound (in which case you are right it IS useless)

...both and neither.

I guess it deppends on your style and what you like... but also' date=' I think we should accept that fenders in general are better (I just love telecasters).

Let me put it this way:

You have 100 fenders and 100 gibsons of the same model.

You will probably give all (100) of those fenders an 80 score in the great-guitar-ometer.

You have 100 gibsons and you will give 99 of them scores between 45-75 in the great-guitar-ometer...

BUT THERE'S GOING TO BE ONE GIBSON LEFT... and SHE WILL SCORE 100, you just fall in love with her and live happyly ever after.[/quote']

+1

You bought the guitar expecting it to sound a certain way' date=' right? [/quote']

Well, not necessarily. It was actually given to me by my father-in-law, because didn't know how to play it and got sick of it taunting him!

Naturally I obliged him, hell I wouldn't turn down a free Ford Mustang either (being a Camaro guy [just referencing my earlier post]), but I wouldn't drive it either. I'd sell it and buy a Camaro!!

That's what I'm trying to do with this Fender, (sell it to buy a Gibson) only everyone wants to low-ball the piss outta me. My area is flooded with MIMs ($200), MIJ ($350), and MIAs for ($500). That's GIVING the durn things away!

Well' date=' not necessarily. It was actually given to me by my father-in-law, because didn't know how to play it and got sick of it taunting him!

Naturally I obliged him, hell I wouldn't turn down a free Ford Mustang either (being a Camaro guy [just referencing my earlier post']), but I wouldn't drive it either. I'd sell it and buy a Camaro!!

That's what I'm trying to do with this Fender, (sell it to buy a Gibson) only everyone wants to low-ball the piss outta me. My area is flooded with MIMs ($200), MIJ ($350), and MIAs for ($500). That's GIVING the durn things away!

I feel you, man. I let a guitar go once upon a time for a little less than I had really wanted for it. Was trying to be fair to the guy and cut him some slack, but I wound up kicking myself down the line (though not so much for the price I received as much as I missed the guitar after not having it). I might keep saving and hold out on the sale for a while until you at least get for the guitar the remainder of what it will cost for the new one you want.

For what it's worth, I can see why you may dislike your Strat. I have one that I absolutely love, but it's really only for two or three specific tones that I use on occasion (and no SRV is not one of them). Other than those, I find myself fiddling around with tone/volume knobs almost as much as I find myself actually playing - can be a headache for sure sometimes.

What new Gibson do you want?

Archived