Gibson Brands Forums

Which is better Gibson or Fender?

Gibson rocks

Look at this post, on to five pages already about the age old subject...i can't be arsed to read through the opinions posted here, but just to put my two penneth in, (or 2CW)... Did Van Gogh or any other artist you'd care to throw into this debate paint with one brush or colour? I think not! *ducks*

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at this post' date=' on to five pages already about the age old subject...i can't be arsed to read through the opinions posted here, but just to put my two penneth in, (or 2CW)... Did Van Gogh or any other artist you'd care to throw into this debate paint with one brush or colour? I think not! *ducks*[/quote']

No, but I'm sure that one brush was better than the others in quality, feel, and versatility. He preferred one or two colors over others. There are differences that can be compared. If one brush company made a few great brushes that were good at one thing and nothing else, and another company made lots of different brushes that were very versatile, of very good quality, and more reasonably priced, I'd rather the second.

Gibson makes amazing guitars, but Fender makes amazing guitars, basses, amps, and PA equip.

Even Squiers are good... for kindling.

My friend has a good point " Dude gibson is better cause fender doesnt have to worry much about fake fenders". Funny cause its so true but yet they are both great compines like ibanez' date='B.C. Rich,PRS (i went there...),parker,etc.[/quote']

Actually, that's not true at all.

Follow this link and you will see just one of many sites discussing fake Fender guitars flooding the market (was the first one that came up in my quick search):

http://aceguitarshop.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=31

First off the links not working for me and my connection is fine. Also is it as bad as gibson' date=' not really i mean ive seen like 3 storys in newspapers about ppl buying fake gibsons never about fake fenders.[/quote']

Works alright for me. I did a google search on "fake fender guitars" and that was the first one in the list. As for being as bad as, or better than, or the same, or whatever...it's still a crime. Counterfeiting guitars, on any level, is a crime.

*edit: not trying to start an argument w/you because I do see your point. I agree it's a worse problem for Gibson...I'm just pointing out that other companies such as Fender have to deal w/the same thing.

Works alright for me. I did a google search on "fake fender guitars" and that was the first one in the list. As for being as bad as' date=' or better than, or the same, or whatever...it's still a crime. Counterfeiting guitars, on any level, is a crime.

*edit: not trying to start an argument w/you because I do see your point. I agree it's a worse problem for Gibson...I'm just pointing out that other companies such as Fender have to deal w/the same crooked Chinese dog eating cock suckers.

[/quote']

Ya i understand what you mean. I search in google too and a saw a topic in anthor fourm with the same website and it said that some ppl could not get the website to load. Anyway i think fender should come out with a warning of how to spot fake fenders like gibson did. (ibanez should to ive seen they have a lil problem as well.)

Pretty soon, I will bet that any quality name brand guitar will be subject to chinese fakes. A Fake Mexi-strat??!!! I could see taking the time to copy a 62 hot rod reissue, or a custom shop Clapton blackie, but, wow. These guitars are only $400 new! I suppose that if it only costs $60 to make the fake, thats still a pretty good profit margin. Sh*t, if they would copy a mexi-strat, they would copy anything.

Has anyone heard anything about fake Chinese Amps?

Allow me to clarify:

Gibson is NOT better than Fender.

Just like Gibson is NOT better than PRS.

Gibson is DIFFERENT than Fender.

True, Gibson guitars have more expensive finishes.

That doesn't make them any better as guitars than say, a Strat or a Tele.

It can be argued that Gibson is better than Mexican-made Fender guitars due to quality of craftsmanship, but not the USA models.

Can't we just get along? I believe it was John Caparulo who said:

"Can't we have Coke and Pepsi in the same building?"

Hmmmm, Gibson better than Fender? I own 2 teles a strat and now a Gibson LP Traditional, IMO, I think the ultimate guitar is my 52 American Vintage Tele, however, I have always wanted an LP in the stable and now I have one. They each have their place in history and they each have their own distinct sound. Thank god for Leo Fender and Les Paul for providing us with these two awesome instruments. I love them both, but if I had to take one to an island (of course w/ an amp and a long extension cord) it would be my 52 tele.

Peace Out.

An EB-3 would be awesome' date=' but would you rather that or a sixties P bass?[/quote']

Nah. Never really was a big fan of the P-Basses. I tried a bunch of them out before settling on a MIM J-Bass. but the next cheapest Gibson bass (an SG reissue) was almost three times the cost. Oh well. Someday.

Nah. Never really was a big fan of the P-Basses. I tried a bunch of them out before settling on a MIM J-Bass. but the next cheapest Gibson bass (an SG reissue) was almost three times the cost. Oh well. Someday.

I dont like P-basses either;to big of a nut with. I Think with electric guitars you need to buy old ones, but when It comes to fender basses, I like the reissues.

Gibson isn't 'better' than Fender; just totally different animals.

I've played/owned Strats and Telecasters because I think they can sound killer for blues/rock, but I can't ever get used to the way they play; very different from Les Pauls. Les Pauls have an overall smoother/more fluid/thicker tone (without using thick strings) and they tend to drive the amp harder with more naturel sustain (due to the LP in its entirety). To my opinion Strats/Tele's need at least 11-48 (ideally 12-56) gauge strings to sound right, while Les Pauls sound great with 9/10 gauge strings and low/medium action.

For me it's 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs, 2 humbuckers and one amp; that's it.

I do own a very nice Strat though.

Crazy question. They're both the same level. Play an Eric Johnson strat' date=' American vintage 57' or 62' or an SRV strat. Talk about a guitar that inspires you to play. Every Gibson Les Paul owner should own a Fender strat and ever Fender strat owner should own a Gibson Les Paul, enough said.[/quote']

Being an owner of both guitars now, I have to agree 100% with this. There are some thing I don't think I'll ever use the strat for again, and there are some things I've tried with the LP and simply don't like the sound I get.

I think I'm going to get hung out back and whipped for saying this... but in my opinion if you are just learning to play the guitar, the looks of the guitar are just as important as the feel and the sound. You are way more likely to pick that guitar up and play longer if you just can't take your eyes off of it. Once you have the basics down, then you can spring for the one you didn't choose.

And then, if you get the disease like I have, you'll just continue to buy more and more and more...

My friend has a good point " Dude gibson is better cause fender doesnt have to worry much about fake fenders". Funny cause its so true but yet they are both great compines like ibanez' date='B.C. Rich,PRS (i went there...),parker,etc.[/quote']

With all that knowledge that you and your friend have about Fenders and fake guitars, stay away from buying Fender guitars.

Being an owner of both guitars now' date=' I have to agree 100% with this. There are some thing I don't think I'll ever use the strat for again, and there are some things I've tried with the LP and simply don't like the sound I get.

I think I'm going to get hung out back and whipped for saying this... but in my opinion if you are just learning to play the guitar, the looks of the guitar are just as important as the feel and the sound. You are way more likely to pick that guitar up and play longer if you just can't take your eyes off of it. Once you have the basics down, then you can spring for the one you didn't choose.

And then, if you get the disease like I have, you'll just continue to buy more and more and more... [/quote']

I also own both, but my current rebuild project is a Korean Tele. I spent some time yesterday on a new track that I am going to lay down this weekend. Couldnt decide if I wanted to record it with the LP or the strat, so I will most likely lay it down with each one. Even the "noiseless" Fender single coils still hum in a smaller/ med sized room, which sucks because you pretty much have to run both the neck and middle pups in the recording studio.

I also own both' date=' but my current rebuild project is a Korean Tele. I spent some time yesterday on a new track that I am going to lay down this weekend. Couldnt decide if I wanted to record it with the LP or the strat, so I will most likely lay it down with each one. Even the "noiseless" Fender single coils still hum in a smaller/ med sized room, which sucks because you pretty much have to run both the neck and middle pups in the recording studio. [/quote']

Hey man, have you tried the SCN's? I have those in my American Deluxe Strat and they are as noiseless as can be on any pup selection. Could be an option if you're having problems w/the vintage noiseless.

Archived