Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES - 325 Tailpiece

SEVERS

Hello All,

I am not sure where to put this Q - so I posted it here.

1) Does anyone have information on years/history of these two tail pieces? I have a '72 ES-325 (photo 1 is mine). Though I see many with the type in photo 2. Were/are they interchangeable? Which is original? - Should I swap to the other style for original?

2) Does anyone have exact dimensions of 325 vs. 335? I see a lot of ES-335 cases available and would like to find a perfectly fitting case.

Thanks!

post-87902-049217100 1506350137_thumb.jpg

post-87902-055665400 1506350359_thumb.jpg

Think you will find that the ES-325 has the same dimensions as a 335, so will fit a 335 case very well. Worth taking your guitar to a music store though to check this.

The 1st tailpiece is what I would expect to see on an ES-175. The tailpieces should be interchangeable if the screw holes on the endplate line up.

Good luck!

Your tailpiece does look like what would come on an ES175. I had one (ES175) and that is the tailpiece that was on it.

I wonder if your tailpiece was replaced at some point. The reason I ask is this, in the photo it doesn't look like your tailpiece is centered properly on the guitar body. It could just be the angle of the photo, but if I hold a straight edge up to my computer screen on your photo, the strings come up from the tailpiece, and then when they get to the bridge they make a right turn of maybe 10 degrees or so. Same if you hold the straight edge up to the run of the strings coming down from the top of the photo, they do not run straight to the tailpiece?? [scared]

Also it looks like your guitar has some sort of mini-humbuckers? Before changing the tailpiece just to try to be period correct you should be sure that any tailpiece you put on lines your strings up properly centered over the bridge. If the new tailpiece is too wide/narrow for example then the strings again will be coming at the bridge from an angle instead of a nice straight run from nut to tailpiece and centered over the pick-up pole pieces.

Archived