Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom SG Standard Historic Reissue w/Maestro

jimmiJAMM

No...actually he didn't...and I have no friggin' clue where he was going...and who's "Magnitude" anyway?

=D>

Seriously, nowadays anyone who simply says a Gibson isn't overpriced for the qualty of the product in question in most instances is naive, a brand-snob in denial, a corporate kissass or an employee. Their choice, but it's one of those. The early part of this decade saw some quality stuff, but it's not consistent anymore, and I think pretty much ALL they're guitars have started leaving the atmosphere for most players. When the "F-brand" is cranking out consistently decent guitars, accurate reissues and quality mid-level instruments (let's pretend the "relic's" and "roadworn" crap doesn't exist, m'kay?), if I were a fatcat at Gibson I'd try to figure out how to get in on that action to save my company's integrity. Sure, a few here and there don't suck, but there's a LOT of stuff that gets out to the showroom floor that depresses me when I see the lack of quality materials or workmanship. I used to be able to preorder a model unseen and I knew it would be great upon arrival. I can't do that anymore.

I think personally there are WAY too many people with that mentality that "it's a Gibson, so it MUST be good". Look what happened to the auto industry. No matter how nice the USA makes a car, it will always have to compete with the Japanese. Why? Because a bunch of cocky mofos way back when I was a little boy thought that American cars are ALWAYS better. Even with rolling turds like the Pinto, the Mustang II, the Pacer and the Gremlin piling up in the bays. Guitars are the same way. And if we don't start really demanding consistent quality & worthy selection in our guitars for the precious money they're asking for them, the imports will catch up and people won't be buying the emblem anymore, they'll be buying customer relations, quality, reliability, value and playability.

So yeah, I don't think "all Gibsons are created equal", and I think that people ought to be a little more choosey and keep them on their toes so they'll do right by us and keep people like me from having anything to fuss about when it comes to our guitars...lol I'm gonna' go play my Epiphone now, just for spite! :P

H-Bomb

Haa, Epi's. I remember going into a showroom down in Florida and my mom back in the day, seriously considering buying an emerald green Pacer. "Futuristic!" the salesman told my mom. Hell, it sure looked like a spaceship to us. Anyway, Bomb's right. Just because it's a Gibson doesn't mean it's the most finely crafted instrument known to man. Label whores are a dime a dozen but is it really a crime to expect the best from a name we've come to trust over the years?

I almost don't want to play a 99-2001 '61 RI if they are as good as hbomb says they are.

My 2006 is the best guitar I've ever owned. I've owned Custom Shop Fenders, American Reissue Fenders, American Standard Fenders, MIJs, CIJS, and MIMs. None of them are as nice as my American Gibson.

Infact, being a Fender guy, I could point out all the crap Fenders made just like hbomb can with the newer SGs.

I think personally there are WAY too many people with that mentality that "it's a Gibson' date=' so it MUST be good". Look what happened to the auto industry. No matter how nice the USA makes a car, it will always have to compete with the Japanese. Why? Because a bunch of cocky mofos way back when I was a little boy thought that American cars are ALWAYS better. Even with rolling turds like the Pinto, the Mustang II, the Pacer and the Gremlin piling up in the bays. Guitars are the same way. And if we don't start really demanding consistent quality & worthy selection in our guitars for the precious money they're asking for them, the imports will catch up and people won't be buying the emblem anymore, they'll be buying customer relations, quality, reliability, value and playability. [/quote']

First of all, I'm not raggin the US. At all.

Second: you are right, hbomb. When people are used to see a brand (like Gibson) breaking the ground with reliable, cinsistent, innovative and high quality stuff they tend to step up and "wear the shirt" (I don't know if you american have that same expression) ou know, and back up the products of that brand. And that's fine. The problem is when people stop being critical about what that brand is doing at a particular moment and they back up stuff like the Mustang II.

What I'm saying is that sometimes the bigshots of particular brands count on that. And they abuse the loyal costumer by lowering the standards. And is really up to us, the costumers, to step up this time to citicize the quality standards.

Seriously hbomb, I have no friggin' clue where your argument is going either... or where it came from. Did I say Gibson isn't overpriced? Did someone else?

Naive, brand-snob, corporate kissass... what is this? Is this some kind of initiation for newcomers to this forum?

I understand you have an AY SG. Did I get my assessment wrong? Or did I just happen to plug in a poor example of the model?

Gibson quality fluctuation is nothing new. Anyone who doesn't like what Gibson are doing as a company can do what they like, including not buying from Gibson, or even going into competition against them.

I have bought Gibson new from an authorised dealer. I probably will again. I like the way they look, play, and sound. Well... some of them - I won't buy one sight unseen. But as well as that I like the music and the history that has been associated with the name. Do I think they're overpriced? I guess so. Could I buy a Greco? Sure. Am I a naive, brand-snob, corporate kissass? Nice way of describing human nature you have there.

Seriously hbomb' date=' I have no friggin' clue where your argument is going either... or where it came from. Did I say Gibson isn't overpriced? Did someone else?

Naive, brand-snob, corporate kissass... what is this? Is this some kind of initiation for newcomers to this forum?

I understand you have an AY SG. Did I get my assessment wrong? Or did I just happen to plug in a poor example of the model?

Gibson quality fluctuation is nothing new. Anyone who doesn't like what Gibson are doing as a company can do what they like, including not buying from Gibson, or even going into competition against them.

I have bought Gibson new from an authorised dealer. I probably will again. I like the way they look, play, and sound. Well... some of them - I won't buy one sight unseen. But as well as that I like the music and the history that has been associated with the name. Do I think they're overpriced? I guess so. Could I buy a Greco? Sure. Am I a naive, brand-snob, corporate kissass? Nice way of describing human nature you have there.[/quote']

Nah, brother, you just answered my rhetoric with a riddle and I thought you were trolling for a reaction or something. I'm reactive, after all...lol

Plus, in all honesty, I'll take any opportunity to reiterate that you, me and the rest deserve the best for our hard-earned, waning dollars when considering a Gibson purchase. Yeah, you might have plugged in a turkey...nowadays the odds are that 99 out of a hundred will be turkeys, or at the very, very least will need a setup something fierce. The model, in and of itself, is ridiculously awesome aside from some folks' dislike of the "Angus" branding (I, being an AC/DC disciple and proud of it, could care less and think of it as a great alternative to a late-60's SG).

The noob initiation involves a clown, a goat and a can of spray-cheese, we haven't gotten to that point with you yet, wait your turn.

And human nature, my man, is subjective. I think negativity begets negativity as much as one sarcastic sod can incite a debate with another sarcastic sod.

I'm gonna' go play in the snow now. Naked. Rock on!

H-Bomb

Hmm... perhaps I have been guilty... not of sarcasm though...

When I suggested the AY's price was "paying for a name" I meant the "Angus" name not the "Gibson" one. Although if the model is (typically) as good as you suggest, it's no wonder my point was misconstrued. The difference I was trying to point out was the "magnitude" of the rip-off... I hope that makes a bit more sense the second time around.

The tone woods in these things can vary wildly. It's not too hard to believe I came across a bad plank.

Hey - you bring the goat. I'll bring one of Jimmy Page's old groupies to draw the pentagram :-k/

Peace.

When I suggested the AY's price was "paying for a name" I meant the "Angus" name not the "Gibson" one.

I don´t think so. This guitar makes sense if you like the neck and playability of it, as with any guitar. I did. Plus I like 57classic pickups best and wanted a Maestro. The A.Y. signature pickup is a hotter version of the 57. And if you add the pickups and the Maestro to the price of a standard it isn´t that much difference any more. And then you get a one piece body as well. Another thing that costs more money on a V.O.S.. So in my opinion the A.Y. is somewhere in between a standard and a V.O.S.. For what you get as well as for the price. Not paying a cent for the Angus name. If they made it a 68 V.O.S. it would be more expensive.

Only my opinion.

Greetings

Kurt

OK' date=' is this censoring the "c.u.l.o." in that word for you guys too? I know it's Spanish for your butt, but is that REALLY that offensive??? lol

H-Bomb[/quote']

It ain't butt. It's that specific central part where there is a hole. I think you guys call it as.s.hol.e and the spaniards call it c.u.l.o.

Funny thing that there is censoring.

I don´t think so. This guitar makes sense if you like the neck and playability of it' date=' as with any guitar. I did. Plus I like 57classic pickups best and wanted a Maestro. The A.Y. signature pickup is a hotter version of the 57. And if you add the pickups and the Maestro to the price of a standard it isn´t that much difference any more. And then you get a one piece body as well. Another thing that costs more money on a V.O.S.. So in my opinion the A.Y. is somewhere in between a standard and a V.O.S.. For what you get as well as for the price. Not paying a cent for the Angus name. If they made it a 68 V.O.S. it would be more expensive.

Only my opinion.

Greetings

Kurt[/quote']

Good points on the "68 VOS" and one-piece body comments, Kurt!

It ain't butt. It's that specific central part where there is a hole. I think you guys call it as.s.hol.e and the spaniards call it c.u.l.o.

Funny thing that there is censoring.

Yeah (I was just trying to avoid further censorship by saying a$$hole), I just found it kinda' weird that it was censoring out part of a perfectly normal, non-offensive word. I got a kick out of it.

H-Bomb

Yeah (I was just trying to avoid further censorship by saying a$$hole)' date=' I just found it kinda' weird that it was censoring out part of a perfectly normal, non-offensive word. I got a kick out of it.

H-Bomb[/quote']

You better watch it! I could teach you some german swear-words and curses if you like. Maybe they´re not on their list. But the truth is that I find it very funny too that they´re are censoring parts out of totally normal words.

Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

It really IS funny and stupid that they are censoring foreign languages. If they censored all swearing words of all languages' date=' this forum would make no sense at all as it would censor parts of normal words.[/quote']

That´s the point!

Roman Moroni had an interesting way of getting around censorship... "You fargin sneaky bastage. I'm gonna take your dwork. I'm gonna nail it to the wall. I'm gonna crush your boils in a meat grinder. I'm gonna cut off your arms. I'm gonna shove 'em up your icehole. Dirty son-a-ma-batches. This is fargin war!

You better watch it! I could teach you some german swear-words and curses if you like. Maybe they´re not on their list. But the truth is that I find it very funny too that they´re are censoring parts out of totally normal words.

Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Funny thing is, Kurt, I actually know a few naughty words in Deutsh-speak...don't tempt me to try it. You don't have to, here it goes in a nonsensical beta-test:

preScheißeface

Did it censor it? I won't know till I hit "post". Thanks for the seed of evil-thought, Kurt. >=P~

H-Bomb

PS (edit): HA! it doesn't recognize German yet!

My two cents: I have that same guitar and love it. I can't get into all the details of what's accurate/correct' date=' etc, etc, etc, but I know that it is a sweet guitar. AND, the pickups/maestro and other nickel pieces very easily buff most of that aging stuff they use off the metal(I used an old sock and no polish whatsoever). Before I got around to buffing, you could barely read the Gibson or see the lyre. I do love the that guitar...

[img']http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww50/craigr726/DSC00733.jpg[/img]

How do you find the tuning stability of the Maestro?

I think it's really quite good. Honestly, I don't really torque on the handle, but it stays in tune pretty well. With new strings, its going to exacerbate the stretching, just like when you bend brand new strings. But, once they get broken in, its not bad at all. But, like I said, I don't really crank on the thing...

I'll agree on the tuning stability.

I happen to have one of 48 SG 61's made in 2006 with the Maestro, it's the Ultimate SG in my humble opinion.

You can't dive bomb it, travel is limited much like a Bigsby (unless you really wanna thrash it) but stays in tune great.

As far as the price, the one starting this thread is trading on nostalgia - what's THAT worth?

If it sells, then evidently there's a market.

Ain't gonna be me, I paid less than $2k for my SG, and it has the most beautiful uniform grain I've ever seen.

Add to this that I played 4 of them side by side before choosing this one, largely on cosmetics.

Why?

Because they ALL played and sounded bad-***!

I'm another one who absolutely HATES the whole bullsh!t of worn/faded/relic/satin/cheapo/broke d!ck finishes.

I'll "relic" my own guitar, thank you...

Let me add that I own guitars from the fifties, sixties and seventies as well as the nineties and some that still smell new.

NONE of them are less than 9 out of 10 in condition and I'm very proud of that.

Of course, I rarely gig but even buddies of mine who do have guitars that made nearly a thousand shows with little damage to show for it. As long as you take care of your stuff, keep your head out of your ***, and get lucky now and then....

One last thing -

The Burstbucker 1, 2 or 3 pickups for the "vintage" buffs?

They are not potted. They're worth JACK when they go microphonic and squeal uncontrollably.

Get the 57 Classics like several of my guitars have, absolutely unbeatable.

2429169018_5e31a9b5e7.jpg?v=0

I'm another one who absolutely HATES the whole bullsh!t of worn/faded/relic/satin/cheapo/broke d!ck finishes.

I'll "relic" my own guitar' date=' thank you...[/quote']

:-k

By the way, you have a nice SG collection. I really didn´t know that Gibson ever made a single neck 12 string.

Greetings

Kurt

Hey Kurt,

I didn't either until I found this one.

My dealer bought it as part of a private collection he picked up.

He managed to snag over 100 out of a collection of 700 guitars, many one-off and prototype pieces.

Said he had never seen one before either.

There were a few made in the Custom Shop over the years, in the sixties there was a stripped down Melody Maker sold for several years - most had single coils that I've seen.

This one is truly one of a kind as far as I've been able to learn over the last three years.

Archived