Gibson Brands Forums

Where am I. Who's on stage and who am I with

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

Royal Albert Hall? (The only place I know).

I do know it's not the bar where we had the shots of whiskey by your place.

It was the albert hall and it was Wilko. The post went all wrong. I was with a chap who looked a lot like Wilko (as well as our very own Pippy) when I snapped him sitting next to me in the dark but the image wouldn't post.

I'm trying to think what that bar was, Tman. Must have been the first time we met up. Was it opposite the restaurant we ate in? It was owned by a friend at the time but has changed hands and I don't really go in there any more. They did away with all the exotic drinks and went a bit mainstream. It was cool though.

That was a wicked night out.

How's your brother, BTW?

I was going to hazard a rough guess but after reading through the replies saw that other folks had already got in there ahead of me with the correct replies...

Could it be the extremely awesome Mr Wilko Johnson?

Looks like somewhere that's pretty couth, so probably with a man of wealth and taste...

Mr. Johnson was his usual, unique, excellent self and, in light of all that excitement he went through a few years back, long may he continue to do so!

And it was the R.A.H., mentioned by Two Ells, and Farns was, indeed, there with a man of wealth and taste.

And I was there, too, to redress the balance somewhat.

Good night out, Farns. Thanks again for the invite & such!

msp_thumbup.gif

And what's the issue with ordering a glass of white wine, anyway?.....msp_laugh.gif.....

Just for fun for anyone unfamiliar with the Feelgoods here's a sampler recorded in WheyAyeManLand just the other day;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBfVBqQif8

And another clip with the rather amusing Mr. J. explaining how incredibly basic - yet at the same time deceptively, erm, basic - his technique is;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMlhWvIh7U4

Reading up on one of the support acts - Eight Rounds Rapid - we might have done well to see them. Their guitarist? Wilko's very own son, Simon.

Here's what Classic Rock had to say about E.R.R.

"Thrashing the moody cut-and-shut Mk1 Capri of Essex geezer rock like they stole it. A welcome blast of no-frills, bullshit-free excitement that can only be deadly live."

Sounds like a chip off the old block bloke.

They play in Soho occasionally. Might be worth a trip in to town...

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

I was going to hazard a rough guess but after reading through the replies saw that other folks had already got in there ahead of me with the correct replies...

Mr. Johnson was his usual, unique, excellent self and, in light of all that excitement he went through a few years back, long may he continue to do so!

And it was the R.A.H., mentioned by Two Ells, and Farns was, indeed, there with a man of wealth and taste.

And I was there, too, to redress the balance somewhat.

Good night out, Farns. Thanks again for the invite & such!

msp_thumbup.gif

And what's the issue with ordering a glass of white wine, anyway?.....msp_laugh.gif.....

Just for fun for anyone unfamiliar with the Feelgoods here's a sampler recorded in WheyAyeManLand just the other day;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBfVBqQif8

And another clip with the rather amusing Mr. J. explaining how incredibly basic - yet at the same time deceptively, erm, basic - his technique is;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMlhWvIh7U4

Reading up on one of the support acts - Eight Rounds Rapid - we might have done well to see them. Their guitarist? Wilko's very own son, Simon.

Here's what Classic Rock had to say about E.R.R.

"Thrashing the moody cut-and-shut Mk1 Capri of Essex geezer rock like they stole it. A welcome blast of no-frills, bullshit-free excitement that can only be deadly live."

Sounds like a chip off the old block bloke.

They play in Soho occasionally. Might be worth a trip in to town...

Pip.

Soho.. hmmmm. At Ain't Nothin But?

It was the albert hall and it was Wilko. The post went all wrong. I was with a chap who looked a lot like Wilko (as well as our very own Pippy) when I snapped him sitting next to me in the dark but the image wouldn't post.

I'm trying to think what that bar was, Tman. Must have been the first time we met up. Was it opposite the restaurant we ate in? It was owned by a friend at the time but has changed hands and I don't really go in there any more. They did away with all the exotic drinks and went a bit mainstream. It was cool though.

That was a wicked night out.

How's your brother, BTW?

Wicked indeed [thumbup]

It was just down the street, walkable, from the restaurant although by that time my memory is a bit shaky and it might have been across the street. We need to do it again! Next June (more on this later - hope to put a "Lounge Jam" together).

Geof is doing great. Lives in both Switzerland and Slovenia. Living the life of Riley.

Guest Farnsbarns

Wicked indeed [thumbup]

It was just down the street, walkable, from the restaurant although by that time my memory is a bit shaky and it might have been across the street. We need to do it again! Next June (more on this later - hope to put a "Lounge Jam" together).

Geof is doing great. Lives in both Switzerland and Slovenia. Living the life of Riley.

Ahh, hang on, when you say bar, do you mean pub (big difference to us blighters). I think it was the legendary "the ship". A bit rough around the edges, proper rocker joint. Bar all the way along the side. I'm sure it was, it's all flooding back!

Christ, the fact I can't remember is proof of how much fun we had. :D

Tell Geof I said Hi. I still have his calling card. I show it to people quite often. Cracks me up. And tell him he's a drummer, god damnit, whether he likes it or not!

Guest Farnsbarns

Oh, and as for the wine, Pip, no idea. I always have a pop at anyone drinking fruity bottled cider or anything and coke but a glass of wine is fine by me. Actually, come to think of it, our friend is partial to the aforementioned fruity so-called ciders (Bulmers and the like) and I always have a dig, I've been known to make people come to the bar and order it themselves :D

I think he might have been being funny stealing my thing.

Ahh, hang on, when you say bar, do you mean pub (big difference to us blighters). I think it was the legendary "the ship". A bit rough around the edges, proper rocker joint. Bar all the way along the side. I'm sure it was, it's all flooding back!

Christ, the fact I can't remember is proof of how much fun we had. :D

Tell Geof I said Hi. I still have his calling card. I show it to people quite often. Cracks me up. And tell him he's a drummer, god damnit, whether he likes it or not!

That's it! "The Ship". I learned something and used the term bar a bit loosely. I'm a fairly simple Yank.

I wrote him an email. He'll definitely get a kick out of it. He IS a drummer dammit, I agree. And your rendition of AC/DC could make any passersby a drummer too! [biggrin]

Soho.. hmmmm. At Ain't Nothin But?

No, apparently the 'Blow Up' club in Wardour St. They are playing there on Friday as it happens which I can't do but are 'regulars' as much as anyone can be a Regular in London these days.

Oddly enough (and 76% off-topic) I was meant to be at "Ain't Nothin' But.." last Friday but had to cancel (my side) on the evening. Bugger.

We Usual Suspects really MUST ALL get something set in concrete sometime soon...

Pip.

Archived