Gibson Brands Forums

Saturday afternoon song--Kalamazoo test run

AnneS

After a week of bonding with the new addition, I found myself with a burning need to learn this song. It's something of a stretch, to be sure, but these lyrics just need singing these days.

And I could've reached for the J100 or J45, but I did promise a sample, so here's an old (new to me) song on an old (new to me) guitar, warts and all.

American Tune

(I just figured out that the song is half as old as the guitar...and I am midway between them. [scared])

A bouquet of mayflowers to you for presenting this song - and it seems you and the guitar already walk hand in hand.

Sound very good together.

But did you know American Tune is everything but American.

Simon borrowed the DNA from J.S. Bach's Saint Matthews Passion - a choral piece, whose melodic core goes even further back to the grand European psalm-book.

And did you know P.S. during a phase in his later years regretted he 'lifted' so much on the way. A mayflower to him too for admitting.

Have fun and pleasure with the new oldie. I'm sure it'll inspire and conjure.

P.S. (this time it means post scriptum) shouldn't we see the Kala in that SCloud-avatar-pic

Nicely done, Anne....... [thumbup] The guitar has a nice, warm, well-balanced sound that lends itself to your style of picking. Simon is, for my money, one of the best of American songwriters.......right there with Dylan. The S & G Bookends album is on my "best of the era" list.

Simon borrowed the DNA from J.S. Bach's Saint Matthews Passion.........

Much in music is borrowed. The tune I did, A Whiter Shade of Pale, is borrowed Bach as well. We stand on the shoulders of giants.

Nicely done, Anne....... [thumbup] The guitar has a nice, warm, well-balanced sound that lends itself to your style of picking. Simon is, for my money, one of the best of American songwriters.......right there with Dylan. The S & G Bookends album is on my "best of the era" list.

Much in music is borrowed. The tune I did, A Whiter Shade of Pale, is borrowed Bach as well. We stand on the shoulders of giants.

Talent borrows

Genius steals

Your guitar sounds terrific! I was expecting a more raw, edgy tone. Nothing wrong with that, but your guitar is very mellow and rich. Maybe the x-conversion has added that dimension.

How do you feel it fits in with your other guitars? Any songs in particular you think are a good fit?

Lars

Oh, almost forgot the song was great too!

Aw thanks, gents--

Em7--SC avatar changed. And I did not realize Simon borrowed (stole) from O Sacred Head--it makes me feel better about having lifted in its entirety his melody for my Kathy's Other Song. For all we know, his wasn't original, either. [sneaky]

Buc, yes, I think he is among the very best songwriters. I am, after all, a lyric freak, but he's hard-ish to learn by ear alone, so I was watching video and culling tabs, which is not at all my comfort zone. Oddly, and as with Dylan, I would have no desire to meet him--neither gives me warm fuzzies, but maybe that's a genius thing.

As I mentioned, it is not (for me) an easy song to learn, but it was fun discovering some small changes (Am-C9; G-G#dim-Am-A7) that are subtle and lovely. Risk-to-reward ratio is high, methinks.

Something I love about the little boxes is how I can feel the vibrations through the back. Maybe its because they fit entirely against me, whereas I have to hold the larger guitars a little bit out (which, I suspect, is a better position, if dampening the back vibration dampens the vibrations transmitted to the top, too). With the little ones, guitar-playing is a contact sport!

Again, thanks everyone--and good luck to all who might take up the gauntlet with this one.

Thanks for a very nice version of "American Tune." It's a great variation from the standard three or four chord folk/country songs, isn't it?

I usually don't consider a song "learned" until I can play it through without any kind of song sheet in front of me. This one is a challenge I haven't met yet, what with all the chord changes. However, one of these days . . .

Thanks for a very nice version of "American Tune." It's a great variation from the standard three or four chord folk/country songs, isn't it?

I usually don't consider a song "learned" until I can play it through without any kind of song sheet in front of me. This one is a challenge I haven't met yet, what with all the chord changes. However, one of these days . . .

Same here--and it'll be awhile before I will get there. (And smooth out the pitchy-ness, too, for that matter.) And, indeed, it is a great variation from my usual wheel-house.

My favorite rendition of the song is Starland Vocal Band's. You can sure hear its Bach-ish chorale origins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL-o_L-Q0NA

Talent borrows

Genius steals

Theahhh, , , so say the mediocre over a pint in the pub.

Of course talent and genius get inspired to lift ideas from previous work and waves.

But to really be unique, you have to create a bulge of genuine material - a universe of independent power, atmosphere and mass, which becomes your island.

Only such an effort allows the borrowing-business and as mentioned, Paul Simon recognizes this himself.

Imagine tunes like Imagine, Here Comes the Sun, Tambourine Man, Fire and Rain, Proud Mary, Muffin Man, Pale Blue Eyes, Suite Judy Blue Eyes,

Both Sides Now, Guinnevere, Mrs. Robinson as stolen or pasted songs = Depressing.

Find your source - break'n'brush it free, then built. Borrow here and there, but be your own master, , , not the puppet.

Everything else would be too easyyyy. .

Anne, this is beautiful. My partner and I listened in the car earlier on today and had a little moment between us. PS is an artist important to both of us, and this is such a lovely version of this song. We both heard elements of Emmylou and Judy Collins in the delivery, and you and the K'zoo sound like you were made for each other. Magic!

Archived