Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting for Stage Tuning on a plek setup

sk8punk83

i just ordered a new 08 les paul standard (gibson). it has the new plek setup. i use stage tuning when i play (d# / half step down). i always used epiphones and told my technician what i wanted to do. is it ok for my to stage tune a gibson without long term effects? what should be done? (setup, truss rod, etc)

thanks

Can't see this being any problem to the guitar, but it could upset your action. Drop-tuning might reduce any neck relief, which in turn will affect the action and intonation and possibly pup height. You should therefore start with checking/adjusting the neck relief first after setting your tuning.

hi, thanks for the responses:

"suggest taking another guitar and do the drop tuning and leave the new guitar for standard tuning; or its a waste of a set up." - i agree that it's a waste of a new setup but my whole band used stage tuning so i have to be in line with them, and i definately want to use this as my primary guitar so i have to get it done.

"pup height" - what is this?

"You should therefore start with checking/adjusting the neck relief first after setting your tuning" - how do i do this

i've never setup a guitar myself, is it easy to do (truss rod adjustments, etc) a buddy of mine adjusted his rod on a brand new california strat and heard a giant crack on the inside, he was almost in tears hahaha. is it mainly just technicians who venture into this area? any links you know of for DIY setups?

thanks again for the help

Just curious. What is the purpose of "stage tuning"? What does standard tuning do to the live sound?

I've never heard of it called "stage tuning" before but there are a couple of reasons for tuning down a half or whole step or even more. First, it changes the tone of the guitar rather noticeably, the lower the tuning, the more dramatic the change. Second, some bands might choose to tune down a little if standard tuning is just a bit too high in range for the singer (granted, a half step isn't all that much) so that open chords can still be used while playing in a more comfortable range for the singer. Mostly though, it's done for the change in tone.

hi' date=' thanks for the responses:

"suggest taking another guitar and do the drop tuning and leave the new guitar for standard tuning; or its a waste of a set up." - i agree that it's a waste of a new setup but my whole band used stage tuning so i have to be in line with them, and i definately want to use this as my primary guitar so i have to get it done.

"pup height" - what is this?

"You should therefore start with checking/adjusting the neck relief first after setting your tuning" - how do i do this

i've never setup a guitar myself, is it easy to do (truss rod adjustments, etc) a buddy of mine adjusted his rod on a brand new california strat and heard a giant crack on the inside, he was almost in tears hahaha. is it mainly just technicians who venture into this area? any links you know of for DIY setups?

thanks again for the help

[/quote']

If I were you, I'd just drop it off to your local tech and explain to him that you want the guitar set up for tuning a half step down with whatever gauge strings you use.

Tuning a half step down might not even make that much of a difference anyway and, if it does, it's probably just a minor adjustment. Back when I used to to jam to records, I had to retune the guitar so many times for each song as some would tune down, some not, some more than others and still others seemed to be tuned to nothing more than each other with no starting point for reference and I never had a problem. Hell, I still don't even own a tuner and just get an E from my bass player (I'm so unprofessional =D> ).

I've never heard of it called "stage tuning" before but there are a couple of reasons for tuning down a half or whole step or even more. First' date=' it changes the tone of the guitar rather noticeably, the lower the tuning, the more dramatic the change. Second, some bands might choose to tune down a little if standard tuning is just a bit too high in range for the singer (granted, a half step isn't all that much) so that open chords can still be used while playing in a more comfortable range for the singer. Mostly though, it's done for the change in tone.

[/quote']

Ok, Thanks... I was just wondering if I was missing out on anything. I knew about dropping the tuning lower, just never do it cause I like the standard sound. Every once in a while I do drop D tuning but that's about it.

i play in a '77 style punk band. when your on a bill with 3 other bands all playin power chords, your sound is noticable different if your tuned down a half step. (eg: we'll open with the intro from the stooges - now i wanna be your dog A-G-E and let it ring out , sounds bad *** and sets ya apart from the others from the night to some extent). we've been doin the stage tuning for about 2 years now, it's a pain in the *** sometimes but the Boss TU-2 is setup for it and it's worth it i think. sucks if you break a string or two and half to borrow a guitar though that has standard tuning in the middle of a set, my backup is stage tuned also because of this...........uughh

Archived