Gibson Brands Forums

It happened again.............NGD

NHTom

That's because it has staggered height tuning machines. I do this to all my Strats. Much preferred in my opinion. [thumbup]

I thought there was something 'funny' about the look of the tuners in the snap but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now I know!

Out of curiosity why do you prefer this system to string tee's, Surf?......eusa_think.gif......

Pip.

Pfft. Fender crap.

Just kidding. Looks great.

To quote Iceberg Slim, "this is from having lived a long time...":

For my money, Fender - whether you buy a MIM or a Standard - makes TANKS. Fenders and cockroaches will outlive Keith in the event of nuclear war.

At least over here, a MIM Strat is just five sawbucks shy of an Epi LP. Sure, I prefer the Epi, but you could do a search of my posts, and in nine out of ten, I'm complaining about Epiphone fret wire.

But I do believe it's justified.

If Epi used Fender-grade fret wire, they'd... be too much competition for the mother company?

Anyway, a beaut. Enjoy :)

I thought there was something 'funny' about the look of the tuners in the snap but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now I know!

Out of curiosity why do you prefer this system to string tee's, Surf?......eusa_think.gif......

Pip.

Well, on a Strat it eliminating the string tree reduces binding if you are going to actually use the trem (especially if the tuners are locking and therefore only require one half turn of string). It also facilitates bending behind the nut (which is why I prefer it on Teles as well). And finally I think it just looks nicer.

...It also facilitates bending behind the nut...

You and your Sophisticated Ways!

Thanks for the answers, Surf!

I've never had a problem with strings binding in any of my Fender nuts but prehaps mine have just been well cut/adjusted?......eusa_think.gif......

I'm sure I've bent there, too, but it's hardly part of my regular style and I might even have needed to re-tune afterwards - it's so long since I tried that kind of stuff I really can't remember!

And the looks thing? Whichever way you find you prefer it is the correct way for you to do it!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

I am not a fan of gold hardware either. I have gold on my BB King and I am debating on switching.

The Strat looks nice. So on a Custom Shop Strat you get the cheesey 6 screw style bridge?

NO, you get the "vintage styling" 6 screw bridge.........lmao.

I tend to go Eric Johnson style and deck mine flat anyway, so it's all good for me.

NHTom

• 4 weeks later...

Got a couple things sorted out..............

First off, unlike my CS tele from a year ago, they no longer come with a cable and tool kit........no big deal on the cable, but the tool kit was awesome!

Second, as I said above, it comes with Schaller buttons stock, and they give you a strap, but no locks........that was a mistake and Fender sent out a set of locks for it. Oddly, the buttons are dulled to match the journeyman relic, but the locks were bright blingy gold...lol. No harm/no foul. A little rub down with a scotch brite pad and the mirror gold is now more satin......

Always nice to have a great local dealer to help if issues come up.

NHTom

Good find, and a rare color apparently. Congrats and enjoy [thumbup] [thumbup]

(And you are correct - you have NO willpower!!)

I beg to differ!

He’s got plenty of “will”power, but not much “wont”power~

Grin~

Archived