Gibson Brands Forums

Friday Fun Quiz

scriv58

Considering that the torrefaction thread raised some thought and debate, i felt it was incumbent upon me to throw this left-handed monkey wrench into the works. Here for your consideration and amusement, i have assembled 6 sound tracks, 3 with the 2016 j45 vintage, and 3 with the 1946 southern jumbo. They were recorded in exact same conditions (seating, microphone placement, preamp and computer settings) with same string brand and gauge (only days apart on the guitars).

Tracks 1,3,5 are one guitar, and tracks 2,4,6 are the other guitar. Set 1 and 2 are the key of G, set 3 and 4 in the key of C, set 5 and 6 in the key of Em, each set being the same little nugget ditty played as similarly as I could. I tried to play in a slower tempo to allow for a bit of overtone. Just thrashing away for 60 seconds into an ipad does not a discernible audition make. I kept them brief to allow for our short attention span mentality of this the spaced age.

So listen (hopefully not on laptop speakers, lest I sound like AM radio circa 1961) and decide which is the torrified wood and which is the old wood. I've already forgotten...(just kidding)

https://soundcloud.com/scriv58/sets/friday-fun-quiz

Here is the grandbaby and the grandpa 70 years apart

xUyhZNd.jpg

Great test, and really nice playing!

The guitars sound remarkably similar, so that one could be the other recorded with slightly aged strings.

Can't pretend to know which is which. 1,3,and 5 have a slightly brighter edge, just a tiny bit more clarity and articulation. 2,4, and 6 are a bit more rounded, smoother.

I actually prefer 1,3,5, and I'm guessing (literally) that those are the new guitar. One could argue that with more clarity and articulation, 1,3,5 would be the old guitar, but my experience with new Gibsons is that lots of them are really, really good. Vintage guitars vary.

For tone, I like 1,3, 5. For looks, I love the '46 SG, but I'm a sucker for older ladies with beautiful mature looks and a few miles on them. (Probably best not to tell my wife that, although she might take it as a left-handed compliment.)

Speaking of left handed, you've got your strings on backwards, and your saddles run the wrong way. [biggrin]

The one time I was able to play a Vintage, I was amazed at how close the sound resembled my old j45. Never played them side by side which might have helped in this quiz. I thought at the time the newer Vintage had a bit of a rawness which I hear in 2-4-6.

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread from the land of "who gives a s%#t anyway?" the answers were:

samples 1,3,5 1946 southern jumbo

samples 2,4,6 2016 j45 vintage.

I'll do my best to scrounge up another snooze-fest thread sometime this year.

Resurrecting this thread from the land of "who gives a s%#t anyway?" the answers were:

samples 1,3,5 1946 southern jumbo

samples 2,4,6 2016 j45 vintage.

I'll do my best to scrounge up another snooze-fest thread sometime this year.

So much for my carefully-tuned ear. I did prefer 1,3,5, but actually thought that was the new guitar.

Vintage Gibsons rule! Age matters.

I'm simply not good at those A/B things.

I'll like them both, change my mind, get into an argument with myself, try headphones, then Bose, then desktop speakers, then burn a cd and take it to my stereo, try it over the phone and stuff until I simply can't do it anymore.

Wait.

Sal was right !

I'm simply not good at those A/B things.

I'll like them both, change my mind, get into an argument with myself, try headphones, then Bose, then desktop speakers, then burn a cd and take it to my stereo, try it over the phone and stuff until I simply can't do it anymore.

Wait.

Sal was right !

it is hard to tell for me as well- that j45 vintage will be some guitar in future decades, when it is truly vintage.

Archived