Gibson Brands Forums

dream les paul......

bfg_legend

My dream les paul would be the 1974 Kalmazoo Gibson les paul custom (starburst), with stock electronics, great for playing jazz

(quote me if im wrong) wasn't the les paul originally designed by a Jazz legend, made by a jazz legend, for the jazz legend?

anyway whats yours?

wasn't the les paul originally designed by a Jazz legend' date=' made by a jazz legend, for the jazz legend?[/quote']

It was designed, mainly, by a guy called Larry Allers with input from John Huis to the general spec's set out under the auspices of Ted McCarty and Les Paul. The details were worked out by all of these people in conjunction with the patternmakers at the factory.

Les Paul was approached by McCarty to endorse the guitar, a contract was negotiated and the rest, as they say.....

im not the wealthiest of people so i just wish i could afford robot or just a expensive one to show off at my friends zakk wyldes art on guitars pretty cool to me and mabe supreme in a black finish with the white edge round it yummy...

what?

i quite like the look of this LP Artisan.

lpartisan1.jpg

Les paul, wine red finish, chrome hardware, creme pickguard/multi-play binding, creme uncovered 57 classics, solid body (no chambers, no relief), and instead of Les Paul on the headstock it should say "Marilyn."

I've thought about this once or twice before :x

ive always liked these.. cant find anything on the web about em. had to take the pic from a guitar history book

DSCN2168.jpg

I'm not sure that I'll say anything that's not already in your book but this is what I know about the guitar in your post.

Introduced in 1976' date=' it was called, simply, 'The Les Paul'; emphasis on the 'The'. Very similar to the '76 Custom in features, it had a body made from solid Curly Maple; the 'purfling' (binding) being made from Rosewood. In fact, almost everything which would normally be made from plastic; the knobs, scratchplate, P-U rings etc., was made of Rosewood.

According to my sources, most were finished in clear lacquer, to show off the top to it's best advantage.

"Almost all of the skilled workmanship lavished on these very limited edition, and very expensive guitars, is the work of Gibson's wood wizard **** Schneider" [sic']

In 1976 it was listed at $ 3,000. To put this price in context I quote, from earlier in the same book;

"...Good examples (of original '58-'60 Standards) change hands for upwards of $ 3,000..."

Hope this is helpful.

Archived