Gibson Brands Forums

Black Beauty - Legit? Strange Serial Number.

Lamf77

There is a decent Black Beauty for sale locally. The seller said he inherited the guitar, hence is playing "I don't know".

He states it did not have a tailpiece, so a local shop installed a "silver" one since a gold one was not in stock. The switch also is not gold, but there is no mention.

I find it odd a guitar would not have a tailpiece?

I ran the serial number and it says "not recognized". I0502054 My guess is Saien in 2005, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

00j0j_kGFdbH8cNGW_1200x900.jpg

00w0w_cE8HXOJrbPP_1200x900.jpg

I'm no expert on Epi LP's (only having owned one example) but that horn point is 100% the same as almost every single one of the Chinese fakes we see over in the sister Gibson LP sub-forum .

I'm quite happy to be told I'm wrong by those better informed.

P.

I have no idea why anyone would want to counterfeit one of these as there wouldn't have been any money in it. I would reach out to Gibson and ask them to validate the serial number. It could possibly be a refurb that someone decided to modify.

• 5 weeks later...

Epi-Talk has a thread on serial numbers, if I am decoding this one as it is, Saein Korea in 2005, the rest is the production number.

But there are a couple items that don't look quite right, the tailpiece in not centered, and the lower strings are pitching over, the high "E" is out of its saddle.

I would need more photos, but I would be suspicious of it.

As to why would someone fake an Epi, well a 100 dollar Chibson made into a 800 Epi is easier to sell then to try and sell it as a 5000 dollar Gibson.

It's like counterfeiting money, you hand someone a new 100 dollar bills, they will go a check them, hand then 5 new 20's, and they won't bat and eye at it. It's just easier.

My link

Archived