Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG for $99

Rabs

My parents bought a Les Paul version Maestro for my little brother 12 or so years ago. I believe they got it at K-mart. It was a starter guitar that he never played so they weren't out a bunch of money for him to figure out if he wanted to learn to play guitar.

Perhaps I'm the odd one out (it has been said on occasion) but I'd bet it can be made to sound sweet - be it cheap crappy sub-Gibson or not.

I'm almost tempted to get one and do a back-to-back with my R0 just to see if y'all can tell which is which in a blind test............

"Yah!", "Booh!" and "Sucks!" (in various permutations) to all you gear-snobs.

tongue.gif

Seriously, though; for that price it would be a very tempting project as a Frankenstein mule.

Four 'buckers (a la Steve Howe BB); built in o/d box; weird wiring and anything else which takes one's fancy.

Pip.

...it's got a "3-way pick up selector switch" which I find a little odd as it's only got one pickup....

"Fender Esquire" ring a bell?

msp_wink.gif

Not saying it has the same bits'n'bobs internally but it just goes to show that there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, erm, Ian, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

As I once said.......eusa_liar.gif.........

Pip.

I know the answer is probably obvious but it makes me wonder how much better Epiphone would do if they were allowed to used the Gibson headstock shape?

I have thought the same thing Rabs. Epi headstock's just look funny to me. I know it's just looks but if they are licensed to use the Gibson model names why not let them sport the Gibson headstock as well.

Be careful, some Indy band will adopt one (or more) and make them the next "must have!" [flapper][biggrin]

Might be a decent "slide" guitar, as well??? Epiphone has a 99 dollar guitar out, now. Kind of a Les Paul

Melody Maker with a bolt on neck. http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-SL.aspx

Of course, we all know it's the player, not the guitar! [biggrin]

CB

• 5 weeks later...

Perhaps I'm the odd one out (it has been said on occasion) but I'd bet it can be made to sound sweet - be it cheap crappy sub-Gibson or not.

I'm almost tempted to get one and do a back-to-back with my R0 just to see if y'all can tell which is which in a blind test............

"Yah!", "Booh!" and "Sucks!" (in various permutations) to all you gear-snobs.

tongue.gif

Seriously, though; for that price it would be a very tempting project as a Frankenstein mule.

Four 'buckers (a la Steve Howe BB); built in o/d box; weird wiring and anything else which takes one's fancy.

Pip.

I'm with you on that.

I love cheap guitars if they are good or are made good.

Never tried one that cheap though. The main worry would be the neck. Green wood?

PS Indonesian guitars are improving I reckon.

Archived