Gibson Brands Forums

What does these factory setup notes mean?

livemusic

So the louder a guitar is the better it is ?

Is that what you’re saying ?

Am not sure who you are asking? But, if you read my above 2:54pm post I describe different scenarios, none saying one is better, just different scenarios and players having different needs. Please clarify who are you addressing. It is not clear.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Yes , target .

Something to aim for ya know , a goal . In this case 'more volume'

There's no need to be annoyed.

If you're going to post theories , and you do , then can't a guy ask questions ?

Isn't that the point of the thing ?

So the louder a guitar is the better it is ?

Is that what you're saying ?

I have posted facts not theories, reread my post if you still have questions, something may sink in.

I usually get one. Sometimes they're blank and sometimes they actually match what I have.

They usually have the same numbers written on them (hmmmm?????)

40D78E2F-2236-4E47-9D40-4F4879E04D24_zpsomqm1qvu.jpg

Ill have to check the 5 cards I got recently. That does seem like a strange coincidence they are all the same specs. I highly doubt any of them are accurate. I find the factory action is too high on the low E and too low on the high E. I redo all saddles with unbleached bone and go for a "target" of .105" and .075".

• 3 years later...

HEY !!   COOL -   THE NEW FORUM UPDATE  PUTS A LITTLE NOTE IN THERE WHEN SOMEONE IS REVIVING A ZOMBIE THREAD  

'3 years later'        ( Seems some of the old members posting above have  been gone longer!) 

Janko,  Nope - I don't know.  It's probably within a gnats whisker of some of the specs noted above.  Bozeman sends their guitars out with action on the hi side, because it's easier to lower than raise.  Just get yours to where you like it.  A new guitar should always get a set-up.   

Just from my experience, the standard factory setup from Martin and Gibson are close. Neck relief set at .004" to .010". Personally I target .000" to .005". For the nut- Target-wise, at the first fret the treble E at the 1st fret is .012" increasing .002 per string with the bass E at .022". I believe these are the pleck targets also.  At the 12th fret, the treble E at .062" to .078" increasing about .004" per string with the bass E at .093" to .109". I prefer a low setting starting .040" to.050" going up to .060" to .070".

Here's an old Martin spec sheet that talks in fractions that may help -

Martin setup sheet